• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gameday: Baylor

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Dana's presser today regarding Skyler...

"I thought he attacked the week really good. He ignored what the outside was saying, and he used that to motivate him. He studied the game plan hard. He spent some time with his family because he’s from Fort Worth. He did that, so that was good for him. He was around a lot of people that believed in him and patted him the back. They told him they loved him and all that stuff. I think that was good for him. He was motivated to play. He knew what we were asking him to do. He took a bunch of deep breaths, and he went out there and played football. It was probably the main reason I ran a quarterback draw on the first play. I was hoping he would get the crap knocked out of him to release a lot of tension and anxiety, which I think is good for him. I think he played well. The clock is still ticking a little bit too fast. That has something to do with our o-line needing to do a better job of protecting.

We played a very, very good defensive line. (Junior defensive tackle Andrew Billings) No. 75 is the best defensive lineman I have faced in over 20 years of coaching. The stuff that he was doing was unbelievable. That’s a challenge when you see that in front of you. That is a challenge for any quarterback. (Senior defensive end Shawn) Oakman played better than I have seen him play. The other one, (senior defensive end Jamal Palmer) No. 92, rushed the passer better than Oakman did. That was a good d-line. We are going to continue to face good d-lines, so he has to continue to have confidence with the guys in front of him. The guys in front of him need to continue to improve with their protection. With that said, I do think the intermediate routes were better. We hit (redshirt sophomore wide receiver) Ka’Raun (White), (freshman quarterback) David (Sills) and (redshirt sophomore wide receiver) Shelton (Gibson) on some intermediate passes. I thought (junior quarterback) Skyler (Howard) threw the deep ball really well. We had two or three touchdowns downfield that he threw great balls on. We were this close to hitting two or three more, which would’ve put us at a huge day offensively. I think we are getting closer, and I think he has been a big part of that."

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you saying Howard doesn't know the routes of his receivers?

The kid graduated from college in 3 years. He ain't your normal inbred....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why you're beating this kid up. Everyone knows he's limited. But, he is the best option for now. Chugs is likely to be the face of this program. He can spin it, and some compare his accuracy to Bulger.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying Howard doesn't know the routes of his receivers?

The kid graduated from college in 3 years. He ain't your normal inbred....

It is to some extent...if he reads man , cover 2 or cover 3 then the WR's should be changing their routes based on those coverage. It seems sometimes he is holding the ball too long because he's not certain which way the receiver is going so he waits to see how they break instead of knowing before hand..

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard is a perfect example of my biggest problem with our coaching staff right now, the kid has a great deal of heart, wants to compete, BUT why is he not getting better? I do not see player development with these coaches, yes there is improved play from the kids as they gain experience and confidence, but simple mistakes never go away. Why do my old eyes see open receivers, but Howard can't? Why are we still fielding punts at the 5? These are correctable mistakes that are not addressed.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard is a perfect example of my biggest problem with our coaching staff right now, the kid has a great deal of heart, wants to compete, BUT why is he not getting better? I do not see player development with these coaches, yes there is improved play from the kids as they gain experience and confidence, but simple mistakes never go away. Why do my old eyes see open receivers, but Howard can't? Why are we still fielding punts at the 5? These are correctable mistakes that are not addressed.

Well that is an easy one DAD...he is not a Division 1 caliber QB...there is a reason he was not recruited by a major program out of High School...he has hit his ceiling..

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that is an easy one DAD...he is not a Division 1 caliber QB...there is a reason he was not recruited by a major program out of High School...he has hit his ceiling..
Brings up another point, WHY do we not have a QB who can run the offense? How about fielding punts inside the 10? This coaching staff has issues in teaching kids the fundamentals of the game. I hope things get squared around and we see a 7-5 season, which is the best I can imagine right now. With 7 wins, give Holgorsen another year, do NOT ink any extensions though. IF we end up 5-7 is where the hard decision lies, but if we fail to win another game, or end up 4-8, send him packing. There has been a huge shift in the expectations of the fans since Holgorsen became HC, from 2004-2011, I expected WVU to win every game, or at least compete for the win, but from 2012 to today, I go into most games thinking we may compete, but am never surprised when we lose by 20. Don't try and tell me how much harder the schedule is now, our OOC used to be among the best in CFB, now it is a joke, yes Oklahoma, and lately Baylor and TCU are good teams, but TT, Texas (lately), Kansas, and IAST SHOULD be wins every year. Looking at this years schedule, there are many games we should win, but lose due to poor coaching, pure and simple. WVU was a better team than OSU, but gave it away due to bad play calling. We played toe to toe with OU, but turnovers (remember how easy they are to coach out.....) killed us. Baylor was just simply a better team, no shame there, other than the final score being so lopsided. Remember please, the reasons that Luck gave for hiring Holgorsen, he said that he wanted WVU to COMPETE at the top level, and be in the mix for the "national championship" are we near there? NO, we are vying with IAST for 9th place in a ten team league.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is to some extent...if he reads man , cover 2 or cover 3 then the WR's should be changing their routes based on those coverage. It seems sometimes he is holding the ball too long because he's not certain which way the receiver is going so he waits to see how they break instead of knowing before hand..

How about the WR running the wrong route?

That has been happening far too many times. It is why Durante is now backing up Sills.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That has been happening far too many times. It is why Durante is now backing up Sills.

And that is certainly possible..but you have to admit he is holding the ball way to long..it suggests he is waiting for the receiver to possibly clear ( Doubtful) or he is unsure of the route the Wr was supposed to run..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brings up another point, WHY do we not have a QB who can run the offense? How about fielding punts inside the 10? This coaching staff has issues in teaching kids the fundamentals of the game. I hope things get squared around and we see a 7-5 season, which is the best I can imagine right now. With 7 wins, give Holgorsen another year, do NOT ink any extensions though. IF we end up 5-7 is where the hard decision lies, but if we fail to win another game, or end up 4-8, send him packing. There has been a huge shift in the expectations of the fans since Holgorsen became HC, from 2004-2011, I expected WVU to win every game, or at least compete for the win, but from 2012 to today, I go into most games thinking we may compete, but am never surprised when we lose by 20. Don't try and tell me how much harder the schedule is now, our OOC used to be among the best in CFB, now it is a joke, yes Oklahoma, and lately Baylor and TCU are good teams, but TT, Texas (lately), Kansas, and IAST SHOULD be wins every year. Looking at this years schedule, there are many games we should win, but lose due to poor coaching, pure and simple. WVU was a better team than OSU, but gave it away due to bad play calling. We played toe to toe with OU, but turnovers (remember how easy they are to coach out.....) killed us. Baylor was just simply a better team, no shame there, other than the final score being so lopsided. Remember please, the reasons that Luck gave for hiring Holgorsen, he said that he wanted WVU to COMPETE at the top level, and be in the mix for the "national championship" are we near there? NO, we are vying with IAST for 9th place in a ten team league.

They do have one..actually three... Crest should get his shot if they do not win this weekend..and the other two have been red shirted..

Well we will disagree on OOC schedule. You take a look at the other teams around college football its either as good or better than 90 percent of the Power 5 Conference Schools. And I guess I won't try and convince you that Texas, OU, Okie State, TCU, Baylor, K State, TT are better programs than USF, Cinncy, Syracuse, Louisville and Pitt, ...and that Iowa State and Kansas are better than UConn......even the bottom feeders will have their day once in awhile..

I agree that there are some concerning fundamentals that just don't seem to be getting addressed the way they should be...puzzling really..

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is certainly possible..but you have to admit he is holding the ball way to long..it suggests he is waiting for the receiver to possibly clear ( Doubtful) or he is unsure of the route the Wr was supposed to run..

That would explain the ball being thrown behind the receiver time and time again on deep routes.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As I've repeatedly posted and texted to you, I believe the wheels inside Skyler's head are spinning too fast. Dana has alluded to this repeatedly since the OU game. Yes, he holds onto the ball too long. He is trying to make a play, instead of trusting his eyes as Dana likes to say. Same thing we saw Geno do in his first year as QB in this system. Skyler has pre snap and post snap reads to make. With repetition will come improvement.

He is trying too hard. He is a fierce competitor of limited athletic and physical attributes. But, the guy don't quit.

How many of WVU's QB's from the recent past would have been able to come out and play as well in the 2nd half of the Okie St game as he did… especially after having a nightmare 1st half? It speaks of the kids' fortitude.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of interest to me, I was listening to Sirius College Sports Radio show on the way home from work today. They mentioned the only team in college football without a TO to date is Florida State.

I found this interesting… especially with Golson starting as QB for them. Last year at ND, he was a TO machine. He had 22 TO's last year… 14 INT's, 8 fumbles lost. He had 12 fumbles for the year, but recovered 4.

How did he go from being a TO machine… to leading an offense yet to commit its first?

Coaching?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of interest to me, I was listening to Sirius College Sports Radio show on the way home from work today. They mentioned the only team in college football without a TO to date is Florida State.

I found this interesting… especially with Golson starting as QB for them. Last year at ND, he was a TO machine. He had 22 TO's last year… 14 INT's, 8 fumbles lost. He had 12 fumbles for the year, but recovered 4.

How did he go from being a TO machine… to leading an offense yet to commit its first?

Coaching?

Jimbo got Jamarcus Russell drafted in the first round. Just think about that for a sec... Yes, its coaching.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I heard Durante got dinged on that play in the end zone last week and imo he is prob starting to feel the grind right now, kid was playing HS football this time last year, he has prob hit a wall and needs to rest/recover for a bit but again jmo.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do have one..actually three... Crest should get his shot if they do not win this weekend..and the other two have been red shirted..

Well we will disagree on OOC schedule. You take a look at the other teams around college football its either as good or better than 90 percent of the Power 5 Conference Schools. And I guess I won't try and convince you that Texas, OU, Okie State, TCU, Baylor, K State, TT are better programs than USF, Cinncy, Syracuse, Louisville and Pitt, ...and that Iowa State and Kansas are better than UConn......even the bottom feeders will have their day once in awhile..

I agree that there are some concerning fundamentals that just don't seem to be getting addressed the way they should be...puzzling really..
How can you disagree on the OOC schedule? Look at it, we were playing SEC West schools, ACC schools, PAC schools, B11 schools, had games inked with Mich St and FSU that were bought out so we could play JMU, Liberty, GSU, Towson, etc. BTW, Kansas is one of the worst teams in college ball, do not try to convince anyone that they are better than another team, ridiculous. Also sPitt and Syracuse have better tradition and programs than anyone currently in the B12 except OU and Texas, and once Snyder retires, KSU will be back to the dregs.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again, we DO NOT have a QB who can run the offense, or the results would be seen on the field. I do not want to hear about guys who are on the sideline. Holgorsen has had ONE QB who could effectively run his offense, and that was one of those bare cupboard holdovers.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would explain the ball being thrown behind the receiver time and time again on deep routes.

The timing between QB and WR has to be near perfect on deep vertical routes. Obviously, when you throw the ball 40-50 yds in the air, it is difficult to hit the receiver in stride every time.

Watch any game… watch any QB…. balls are thrown short… thrown long…. all the time. WR's have to adjust to make the play…

I made that comment to slaton10 during the Okie St game. Everybody loves their QB…Randolf. How accurate was he on the deep vertical? How many receptions were made against great coverage because their WR's fought for the ball?

What Dana wants his WR's to do is fight harder for the ball. Once they do… they start looking like the next greatest thing. Think of the difference between Kevin White's first and second year. One of Dana's repeated comments about Kevin was that he needed to play big… to go get the ball.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimbo got Jamarcus Russell drafted in the first round. Just think about that for a sec... Yes, its coaching.

Another missed opportunity by our former AD....Eddie Pastilong. How the future of WVU would have changed had our inept AD brought Jimbo home...instead of fucking that up...and then making a drunk hire of Billy Stewart a couple of weeks later!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The timing between QB and WR has to be near perfect on deep vertical routes. Obviously, when you throw the ball 40-50 yds in the air, it is difficult to hit the receiver in stride every time.

Watch any game… watch any QB…. balls are thrown short… thrown long…. all the time. WR's have to adjust to make the play…

I made that comment to slaton10 during the Okie St game. Everybody loves their QB…Randolf. How accurate was he on the deep vertical? How many receptions were made against great coverage because their WR's fought for the ball?

What Dana wants his WR's to do is fight harder for the ball. Once they do… they start looking like the next greatest thing. Think of the difference between Kevin White's first and second year. One of Dana's repeated comments about Kevin was that he needed to play big… to go get the ball.

I agree, it is difficult to hit the deep ball in stride and it is important for the WR to make a play and go get the ball. I also remember Dana stating after either the GSU or Liberty game, that if the WR were led better on the deep balls they would walk into the endzone. It's jmo but if they can hit those more consistently this could be a very dangerous team. Coaches keep saying it's close, I'm excited to see it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and call it now, they put the deep ball chemistry together and upset TCU! Yup, you heard it here first.