• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uncle Benjen had a dragon shard shoved in his heart by the children of the forest.
Not sure if that's the same as being brought back by Lord of Light.
1) Was that mentioned in the show?

2) Just saying there are multiple types of undead in Westeros.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And remember Ned's brother was some kind of semi-undead...

Yeah, he is pretty interesting too. Seems like he was created just like the Children of the forest say they created the Night King though - dragonglass. Evidently, from that, you might figure him to a be White Walker of sorts but having no loyalty to the Night King, which is interesting itself. Also, I don't think his eyes turned blue, which is strange as well.

The weird thing with Martin's fire wight comment is wights in general seem to be mindless and fully controlled by the Night King (or perhaps other White Walkers). Where Jon and Beric at least seem to have their wits about them. Maybe it's is just an effect of fire over ice? No idea. I'm guessing that perhaps the comment wasn't meant to be as symmetric between fire and ice as some are taking it.

It's kind of weird that the same way you create a White Walker, dragon glass, is the same thing that kills them.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really going out on a ledge there aren't ya?

I actually don't think he will. Everything Cersei touches turns to shit. She and Jamie are all that is left of the Lannister family, even though I think Kevin and some others are still in Casterly Rock...unless Cersei blew them up as well.

Kevan was killed at the Great Sept, one of the reasons I think it is stupid that Cersei somehow has the backing of the Lannister army and lords at this point.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'm guessing I will make a few posters from the old SB board happy in that I'm not watching this season of GOT at this point. I"m sure the fans will love the next installment of the Sand Snakes doing some stupid shit that makes no sense.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a premiere episode, you have to set some things up. There's multiple things to put together and they didn't waste much time in the opener. Arya killed the Freys and set her intentions on where her next target is at.

Bran is at Castle Black (wonder if we'll ever find out what the fuck happened with Rickon?).

Euron is going to go for Tyrion? Dragon head?, something else as a present? Either way, set's up that armada is going to be doing some action.

I hope any tension between Jon and Sansa is done properly and they didn't show anything to say that won't be the case tonight.

The Hound looks into the fire and sees that him and the Light Brigade will have a role in the game.

Finale ended up with Dany taking to the seas and in the premiere she landed. People have said it was dragged out how long she was away from the seven kingdoms, well, boom, she's back.

Honestly, I can't find much fault. You can say the opening was fan service, and this fan will agree he was serviced.

But they didn't have to set it up. That's what last season's finale did. Outside of the Hound and Euron, everyone is exactly where they were before. Arya had killed Frey. Was it cool that we saw her kill the others? Yep. Necessary? Not really. Then we get a truly wasteful scene with the Sheeran cameo. I don't even mind the cameo, but the scene doesn't matter. It's a waste of time. Bran was essentially at the Wall already. They spent 2 minutes of him going through the gate and nothing more. The Winterfell scenes were just repeats of the tension hinted at last season between Jon and Sansa. The stuff with Sam was probably a bit too long. We know Dany is going to Dragonstone, she arrives, it probably goes on a little too long and ends with a really cheesy line that was telegraphed a mile away. They touch base with pretty much every character and advance the plot about an inch for each one.

There are 13 episodes left in the entire series. Everything was already set up. If we encounter episodes later on where events seem really rushed, think back on this episode when they could have used that time more effectively

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevan was killed at the Great Sept, one of the reasons I think it is stupid that Cersei somehow has the backing of the Lannister army and lords at this point.

I have to assume that it isn't common knowledge that Cersei blew up the Sept. I mean it would be really hard for her not to be a suspect considering she was scheduled to have a trial but was absent, but I guess there is no proof and maybe everyone that would have known of Cersei's pending trial was at the Sept? I really hope that it gets addressed at some point.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they didn't have to set it up. That's what last season's finale did. Outside of the Hound and Euron, everyone is exactly where they were before. Arya had killed Frey. Was it cool that we saw her kill the others? Yep. Necessary? Not really. Then we get a truly wasteful scene with the Sheeran cameo. I don't even mind the cameo, but the scene doesn't matter. It's a waste of time. Bran was essentially at the Wall already. They spent 2 minutes of him going through the gate and nothing more. The Winterfell scenes were just repeats of the tension hinted at last season between Jon and Sansa. The stuff with Sam was probably a bit too long. We know Dany is going to Dragonstone, she arrives, it probably goes on a little too long and ends with a really cheesy line that was telegraphed a mile away. They touch base with pretty much every character and advance the plot about an inch for each one.

There are 13 episodes left in the entire series. Everything was already set up. If we encounter episodes later on where events seem really rushed, think back on this episode when they could have used that time more effectively

Last season was last season.

This season is this season.

You may not AGREE that those 'boring' scenes don't fill a purpose, but they do. They show character development and change.

So which way will Sansa go THIS season? Will she be seduced by LF into playing his games? Or is she stringing HIM along (as foreshadowed with her 'I know exactly what he wants..' line (another scene where 'nothing happens)

A show written by you is not nearly the show that is. JMO of course.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season was last season.

This season is this season.

You may not AGREE that those 'boring' scenes don't fill a purpose, but they do. They show character development and change.

So which way will Sansa go THIS season? Will she be seduced by LF into playing his games? Or is she stringing HIM along (as foreshadowed with her 'I know exactly what he wants..' line (another scene where 'nothing happens)

A show written by you is not nearly the show that is. JMO of course.

Last season is not last season. It's all one story. But they do have time constraints to finish that story up.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to assume that it isn't common knowledge that Cersei blew up the Sept. I mean it would be really hard for her not to be a suspect considering she was scheduled to have a trial but was absent, but I guess there is no proof and maybe everyone that would have known of Cersei's pending trial was at the Sept? I really hope that it gets addressed at some point.
She'd easily be able to get off. All she'd have to do is allow Trial by Combat again and choose the Mountain to fight for her. Chances are high that he'd annihilate anyone that the opposition chooses.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season is not last season. It's all one story. But they do have time constraints to finish that story up.

C'mon man, when has that ever been how TV shows (good ones at least) work? Each season stands on its own, and in some sense each episode stands on its own. Each individual episode follows a story structure, and each season the same.

The wild actions scenes we remember and love so much, are MADE by what sets them up. They're poignant BECAUSE of the scenes, and the character development that's come before.

A great TV show takes you on a trip as the character(s) changes slowly over time. You die with their failures, and rejoice with their successes, and the big payoff comes when they finally triumph (or fail).

They didn't HAVE to show all the casual cruelties that Bolton or Frey carried out. We'd 'get it' without those. But Frey getting his throat cut by Arya wouldn't have been AS satisfying without them.

Similarly we wouldn't buy Jaime's turnaround if not for all the little 'low action' scenes where Lannister shows he isn't the shithead that pushed a kid out a window S1E1. Or that he IS that shithead, but that there's other elements to who is his as well.

The yak-yak-yak between Jaime and the Blackfish, and Jaime and the younger Tully were to further set us up for what role is coming for him (just as rescuing Brienne was).

So yeah, you can cut out all those scenes, it just makes for a MUCH weaker show.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She'd easily be able to get off. All she'd have to do is allow Trial by Combat again and choose the Mountain to fight for her. Chances are high that he'd annihilate anyone that the opposition chooses.

Get away with it in terms of criminal charges yes. That could be done very easily as you suggest but I think should still be addressed. But there's also the political implications. If everyone knows she did but she wins a trial by combat thanks to the Mountain she gets to walk but would they still make her queen?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon man, when has that ever been how TV shows (good ones at least) work? Each season stands on its own, and in some sense each episode stands on its own. Each individual episode follows a story structure, and each season the same.

The wild actions scenes we remember and love so much, are MADE by what sets them up. They're poignant BECAUSE of the scenes, and the character development that's come before.

A great TV show takes you on a trip as the character(s) changes slowly over time. You die with their failures, and rejoice with their successes, and the big payoff comes when they finally triumph (or fail).

They didn't HAVE to show all the casual cruelties that Bolton or Frey carried out. We'd 'get it' without those. But Frey getting his throat cut by Arya wouldn't have been AS satisfying without them.

Similarly we wouldn't buy Jaime's turnaround if not for all the little 'low action' scenes where Lannister shows he isn't the shithead that pushed a kid out a window S1E1. Or that he IS that shithead, but that there's other elements to who is his as well.

The yak-yak-yak between Jaime and the Blackfish, and Jaime and the younger Tully were to further set us up for what role is coming for him (just as rescuing Brienne was).

So yeah, you can cut out all those scenes, it just makes for a MUCH weaker show.

You're right. The little moments matter for character development. But that's not the point here. The point here is its the final season, the time for all those little moments to pay off. It's resolution time, not "let's keep laying groundwork" time. Outside of some nice character work and revelation with The Hound, nothing of any real substance happened in Dragonstone. If you skipped that episode and tuned in next week, you wouldn't be lost at all. You'd still feel all the same beats because they've already been established.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get away with it in terms of criminal charges yes. That could be done very easily as you suggest but I think should still be addressed. But there's also the political implications. If everyone knows she did but she wins a trial by combat thanks to the Mountain she gets to walk but would they still make her queen?
I think that she'd still be Queen. Everyone would be too afraid of her to challenge her right to the throne.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. The little moments matter for character development. But that's not the point here. The point here is its the final season, the time for all those little moments to pay off. It's resolution time, not "let's keep laying groundwork" time. Outside of some nice character work and revelation with The Hound, nothing of any real substance happened in Dragonstone. If you skipped that episode and tuned in next week, you wouldn't be lost at all. You'd still feel all the same beats because they've already been established.
If you haven't already, you should watch Heroes. It was earth-shattering change after earth-shattering change. Very few slow episodes of character developement. Just major payoffs every episode.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking the whole "who sits the Iron Throne" mystery gets solved this season with next season being the war against the Night King. If that's the case they have six episodes to conclude that arch. Not sure Cersie has enough time to marry. Maybe an engagement before she's killed and removed from the board?

In the end, it might be that nobody sits on the Iron Throne. Methinks King's Landing could wind up being a smoking crater with all that wildfire from the Mad King still under the city.

If that happens..... which of the main characters are going to be victims of the big kaboom? Also, if it happens, who will set off the big kaboom? Cersei or Jamie....or perhaps it will be inadvertent/collateral damage from a fire breath attack by Drogon?

I sorta believe this is the kind of twist George RR Martin might have planned for the end...... fans are wondering who will end up on the Iron Throne at the conclusion of the story, and it will turn out to be nobody!

Last edited:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things were way too positive at the end of season 6. People better be prepared for a few more main characters deaths now that a lot of the lesser characters have been culled last season. It's coming like Winter.

Episode 3 is called something like "Cersi's justice". Get ready.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's what I thought. I really hated the way they handled all that. Killed off so many good, intriguing characters because they needed to start wrapping things up. Lame.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the end, it might be that nobody sits on the Iron Throne. Methinks King's Landing could wind up being a smoking crater with all that wildfire from the Mad King still under the city.

If that happens..... which of the main characters are going to be victims of the big kaboom? Also, if it happens, who will set off the big kaboom? Cersei or Jamie....or perhaps it will be inadvertent/collateral damage from a fire breath attack by Drogon?

I sorta believe this is the kind of twist George RR Martin might have planned for the end...... fans are wondering who will end up on the Iron Throne at the conclusion of the story, and it will turn out to be nobody!

Someone will shove some dragongalss into somebody else and they will end up turning the tide in the final battle. I'm tossing my vote to an undead person sitting on the throne....