• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #5 - Clemson at Virginia Tech

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So furious right now I can't even think straight enough to begin a rant.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the fuck are the starters still in? All we need is for DW to get hurt on some meaningless play or a WR. Coaching has been bad this game.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Tech defense played well enough to win, but the offense and special teams are going to need a major overhaul asap.

Offensive play-calling was just not very good. Execution by the offense was terrible...Thomas was off the mark as he's been most of the season to date. The turnovers in the first quarter set the tone for the remainder of the game.

Demler has to be replaced as Tech's punter...he's terrible and forcing him to continue to punt is not going to make him any better. Those miscues we saw on both the punt and kick-off returns? Terrible. How much time is Coach Beamer actually spending with his special teams units? Should he consider turning that responsibility over to someone else?

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch. That sucked. Here's to a rematch in December. With a different punter though.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So where is this Auburn type OC play calling I have been hearing about so much this year? All I saw this game is the same kind of shitty play calling like we have had since 2006. The only difference is our special teams is worse now. What the fuck was I watching tonight?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Obrian84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Tech defense played well enough to win, but the offense and special teams are going to need a major overhaul asap.

Offensive play-calling was just not very good. Execution by the offense was terrible...Thomas was off the mark as he's been most of the season to date. The turnovers in the first quarter set the tone for the remainder of the game.

Demler has to be replaced as Tech's punter...he's terrible and forcing him to continue to punt is not going to make him any better. Those miscues we saw on both the punt and kick-off returns? Terrible. How much time is Coach Beamer actually spending with his special teams units? Should he consider turning that responsibility over to someone else?

I know Logan is young and probably is the reason for what I am seeing. He seems to have his target chosen before the ball is snapped. He never looks off of his target and he never lets some of his routes develop. I can recall 6 times tonight where if he would have stayed in the pocket or looked down the field for a split second longer we had a big play. I cant entirely blame the coaches for this. They created a play that got a man open. It is up to Logan to deliver.
I know some will say the O-line had trouble. The majority of the sacks and pressure came in the 4th quarter. Logan had time most of the game.
I will blame the coaches for not making adjustments, being too conservative, and giving up even with 6 min left. Its never over till its over.
We have a long ways to go, but we have good players.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok heres the deal. Logan is not going to lead us to anything this season. He is mediocre at best and i honestly think he will be an average QB when things are all said and doine.

Demler HAS to go. Beamer can go scout the intramural soccer playoffs if he is looking for a punter. Or he can start brantover. I'll be fine with either.

O'cain is garbage. Why the hell would he ever even consider running a stretch play on 3rd and 1? He is trash bring back steinspring.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
clemson got a new offensive coordinator and their offensive is effective in their first season. teams do it all the time. why the hell cant we do the same? oh yeah. beamer is too loyal. he refuses to acknowledge that the problem is big enough to warrant a major change. yes, he changed the play caller. but he did not overhaul the offensive staff by any stretch of the imagination.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would support moving LT back to TE and bringing in Leal for a few games to give him a chance.

I was thinking this during the game. Leal looked pretty good when he came in against App St (though so did LT), would shifting LT to tight end increase the number of playmakers on the field? He could still throw the ball, I remember Boone lining up under center a couple times. The only thing with this is we would be thin at QB, would have Leal with Clayton as back up, though could always shift Logan back over. What the coaches pride prevent this move or is it just not plausible because as bad as Logan is, Leal is worse?

He is trash bring back steinspring.

I never thought I would ever read that.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In my previous post, I failed to congratulate Clemson for winning the game. I do so now.

Their OC, who I personally maligned for having only one previous year of college coaching experience, prepared a very good game-plan against Tech's defense. His offense found small weaknesses in the Tech defense and exploited them for 23 points.

Clemson's defense was helped by the two Tech turnovers in the first quarter which seemed to kill the confidence of the Tech offense, particularly Thomas. At times, Clemson appeared to know exactly what Tech was going to run, shutting down running plays at key times, and jumping pass routes at others.

I said enough about the poor play of Tech's special teams last night...no need for me to elaborate further.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep talking Clemson. Between that and the ESPN lovefest for the Tigers, motivation shouldn't be much of a problem. BTW, is it supposed to rain Saturday? Because all the pre-game hype from the four-letter reminds me of the 2009 game with Miami.

Don't worry, now we can actually talk. Can't say that much for the media, but since when has ESPN had a clue what us peons think and do?

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way the Hokies can hang with the Tiger offense. Clemson by 2 TDs.*

*The opinions expressed in this post are not really those of 24seven or any other true Gamecock fan. He is simply trying to jinx Clemson into losing.

Excellent prediction 24!

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry, now we can actually talk. Can't say that much for the media, but since when has ESPN had a clue what us peons think and do?

Congrats. What's that old Meatloaf song? One out of six ain't bad?

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While she is stating the obvious as always, HD is not going easy on the Hokies dismal performance on O Sat night. Good for her. But before you read further I think have alot of hope for LT and this crew. Can you imagine this kid running more of an option offense like we did circa 99? I just don't get why our offensive staff is trying to put a square peg in a round hole on this one. Spread the team out, run option plays. Take the heat off of LT. Each time LT ran the freakin ball he gained 3-9 yards per play.

Play to win coaches, play to win... :kk:

what-we-learned-100211 - College Football Nation Blog - ESPN

1. Virginia Tech's offense has more problems than the staff seems to want to publicly admit. Both coach Frank Beamer and quarterbacks coach Mike O'Cain downplayed the Hokies' inept performance on offense following their 23-3 loss to Clemson. They spoke of missed opportunities and turnovers, but in the end seemed to think it's nothing that can't be fixed in time for the Miami game or anything serious enough to keep Virginia Tech from contending for the Coastal Division title. The eyeball test, though, disagrees. The Hokies are in a bind in third-and-long situations, and defenses aren't going to respect the passing game until that changes. There were also signs of problems up front, as Logan Thomas was sacked four times and Clemson's defensive line had the upper hand. There were signs of this against East Carolina, but Saturday's game proved only more difficult against better competition.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say 2-3 of those sacks came at the very end of the game when we had given up.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So where is this Auburn type OC play calling I have been hearing about so much this year? All I saw this game is the same kind of shitty play calling like we have had since 2006. The only difference is our special teams is worse now. What the fuck was I watching tonight?!

great fucking question