• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #5 - Clemson at Virginia Tech

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lane should make the difference here. It reminds of (06?) when Clemson came in for a night game on hot streak and we totally shut them down. I don't we can play like have so far and win. That's where I expect the players to feed off the crowd and get into a zone.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very interesting disparities when comparing the NCAA rankings of Tech and Clemson....

2011 Virginia Tech Football Ranking Summary

2011 Clemson Football Ranking Summary

At a glance, it seems to me to be the best defensive team in the conference vs. arguably the best offensive team (maybe with GT in there). Bottom line is that we need to elmininate ALL big plays in the passing game (we have been lucky so far that the passes were errant or dropped) and we need SOME sort of passing game/balance..if we do that we win

Lane should make the difference here. It reminds of (06?) when Clemson came in for a night game on hot streak and we totally shut them down. I don't we can play like have so far and win. That's where I expect the players to feed off the crowd and get into a zone.

^^^^^^^^^Yes Lane will help ALOT. Will be good to be back home, where the crowd will at least get the D pumped.

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few things:

1. As you all have said, Lane Stadium at night. CU is on a hot streak, and it's their first road game. Boyd's first ever road start.

2. Vanilla playcalling will end and the playbook will open up. Watch out for TE passes, 2 RB sets, options, and more.

3. Our D is stout. I feel like we'll be able to take advantage of some rookie mistakes from Boyd, especially if Hosley is on Watkins.

4. Our running game. I think CU is ranked around 110-115 in their rushing D depending on the source. DW, JO, and LT should tear them up on the ground, and it should help us with clock management by keeping the ball out of their hands and resting our D.

The only thing that concerns me at this point is special teams. Blocked kicks, poor punts, and missed FGs will absolutely kill us if we can't correct this (especially the punts...we can't flip a field right now with Demler punting). One other area of concern that I think will be corrected is the turnovers. Some poor throws late by LT I don't really count since it's garbage time, but fumbles by the RBs are bad bad bad. At any rate, looking forward to a great game Saturday! My prediction based on my gut: VT 31 - CU 17, but it's going to be close for 3 quarters.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something to get you pumped up.

[YOUTUBE]Fc8EVZ3M00c [/YOUTUBE]

I got the embedding right!!!

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God we absolutely wrecked some of their WRs on bubble screens. Damn

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As cliche as it is, we are going to learn a lot about this tram this weekend. I am not overly concerned with the quasi-apathetic wins the last two weeks because the Hokies do that sometimes and seem to play their best against tough in conference opponents. It is going to be interesting, for sure!

williamofthehills

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I just dont like our chances in this one. Clemson looks really good on offense, and our defense still seems like they are giving up the occaisional big play, and to teams that cant hold Clemsons jock. I also worry that Thomas still needs to mature as a passer. Some of the interceptions he has thrown against sub-par defenses have me thinking that Clemson will really take advantage of speed to pick some off, and with that offense they have, anytime they get the ball, it is going to be bad for us.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tech has won the last five meetings with Clemson, the last played in 2007:

09-12-1998: 37-0 at Clemson, SC
09-23-1999: 31-11 at Blacksburg, VA
01-01-2001: 41-20 at Jacksonville, FL-Gator Bowl
10-26-2006: 24-7 at Blacksburg, VA
10-06-2007: 41-23 at Clemson, SC

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont like our chances in this one. Clemson looks really good on offense, and our defense still seems like they are giving up the occaisional big play, and to teams that cant hold Clemsons jock. I also worry that Thomas still needs to mature as a passer. Some of the interceptions he has thrown against sub-par defenses have me thinking that Clemson will really take advantage of speed to pick some off, and with that offense they have, anytime they get the ball, it is going to be bad for us.

i think we're letting the sub par teams get a big play and INT every now and then, just to get the confidence of clemson up...come saturday, the real VT will be on the field!

(or at least thats what im telling myself, lol)

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A few interesting tweets today concerning Tajh Boyd:

DarrylSlater Darryl Slater
Boyd on Tech: "There wasn't really anything wrong with Tech. I had an offer, but it wasn't like they were really, really pursuing me."

***Bet Tech will pursue you on Saturday...with a clear and serious intent.

Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd said Dabo Swinney let him sit in on the job interview for offensive coordinator Chad Morris.

***Seriously?? Wonder what OC candidate Chad Morris was thinking while he was being interviewed by this kid. Was it something along the lines of, "Does the success of this $200K job interview hinge on the input from a kid??"

Tajh Boyd said his parents and brother and sister moved to Clemson area right after he graduated from high school.

***Why do I almost always get the heebie-jeebies when I read something like this? Did the Boyds get any help with jobs and/or relocation expenses?

normwood Norm Wood
Clemson QB Tajh Boyd, a Phoebus High grad, won't be any stranger Saturday in #Hokies Lane Stadium.

normwood Norm Wood
In 08,Boyd led Phoebus to a 37-13 win vs Dinwiddie in Lane Stadium in Group AAA Div. 5 state title gm.Was Phoebus 4th title in 8 yrs #Hokies

***Yeah...but he's never played in Lane during a big-time FBS college football game in front of 70,000 hostile fans.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hokies win and win easily imo. Hosley has already shut down a former 5* WR, i see no reason why a true freshman (Watkins) will beat him. Clemson will find out early on they cant run on VT's defense. Boyd will connect on some throws but will also get sacked and throw picks all night. Clemson's defense is awful, just downright terrible. I just hope our banged up WR's can play.

VT - 33
Clem - 16

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one thing that concerns me, especially with how well clemson's offense has done via the air.. andre ellington is no slouch.. you sleep on him and he'll burn you

i think the run defense will need to come to play again, just like it has all season.. cant just focus on the pass

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have thus far refrained from posting here, mainly because I figured any attempts to add my obvious dissent would probably be seen as trolling, but this post...
Hokies win and win easily imo. Hosley has already shut down a former 5* WR, i see no reason why a true freshman (Watkins) will beat him. Clemson will find out early on they cant run on VT's defense. Boyd will connect on some throws but will also get sacked and throw picks all night. Clemson's defense is awful, just downright terrible. I just hope our banged up WR's can play.

VT - 33
Clem - 16

I'm not sure if the poster has actually watched any of our games, but I'll assume you haven't. We're not just a one trick pony on offense like we were the previous meetings with Spiller/Ford/Davis/Overrated QB; we may not run people over with a power running game, but we have 5 or 6 legit pass catchers that have all made major contributions in our wins. Watkins is simply the "man" right now, but our TE Dwayne Allen and receivers Bryant, Brown, Hopkins, and WR/TE Brandon Ford have all made crucial catches when it matters. Hosely may be able to contain or even shut down Watkins, but don't think that's the only weapon. I think we will lose this game because it is our first road test of the season and right now, we're playing with house money anyway, but I'd be shocked if the game is won by more than a 10 point margin either way.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have thus far refrained from posting here, mainly because I figured any attempts to add my obvious dissent would probably be seen as trolling, but this post...

I'm not sure if the poster has actually watched any of our games, but I'll assume you haven't. We're not just a one trick pony on offense like we were the previous meetings with Spiller/Ford/Davis/Overrated QB; we may not run people over with a power running game, but we have 5 or 6 legit pass catchers that have all made major contributions in our wins. Watkins is simply the "man" right now, but our TE Dwayne Allen and receivers Bryant, Brown, Hopkins, and WR/TE Brandon Ford have all made crucial catches when it matters. Hosely may be able to contain or even shut down Watkins, but don't think that's the only weapon. I think we will lose this game because it is our first road test of the season and right now, we're playing with house money anyway, but I'd be shocked if the game is won by more than a 10 point margin either way.

STFU TROLL!!! ;)

kidding...but yeah, i say VT wins...but do not think we will "win easily" as hokiehi21 put it. i think this is going to be a great game, but its got me nervous, not gonna lie

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What worries me (other than playing in Lane) is that Ellington hasn't been consistent this year. Bellamy will most likely not be much of a factor this season as I don't think he's absorbed enough of the playbook to really be a factor yet, and our other back up RB DJ Howard is still nursing a hammy strain. We do find ways to implement the short passing game and involve receivers and Tajh on reverses and read options, but it always makes me nervous when we can't run effectively.

Edit: Totally OT here, but it sucks that I have to talk about the game with a bunch of Hokies... I like you guys, but I'm the only one here with any reason to talk Clemson up. I gotta get some more of my lazy-ass brethren on here...

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What worries me (other than playing in Lane) is that Ellington hasn't been consistent this year. Bellamy will most likely not be much of a factor this season as I don't think he's absorbed enough of the playbook to really be a factor yet, and our other back up RB DJ Howard is still nursing a hammy strain. We do find ways to implement the short passing game and involve receivers and Tajh on reverses and read options, but it always makes me nervous when we can't run effectively.

Edit: Totally OT here, but it sucks that I have to talk about the game with a bunch of Hokies... I like you guys, but I'm the only one here with any reason to talk Clemson up. I gotta get some more of my lazy-ass brethren on here...

Glad to have you here ballboy. It's always nice when you can talk football with an opposing fan and things can still stay civil. I think it's going to be a great game, but I'm not going to make any predictions. We just don't know enough about VT at this point, at least I don't, to make an accurate assumption.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True. And after last weekend, VT now has interceptions in 11 straight games and 30 in it's last 16. Your passing game is good, no doubt, but I wouldn't want to rely solely on it with our DBs.

meh. I like you just fine. Just make sure to keep out the riff raff