• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FSU vs Louisville

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what we're talking about here is some puffed up tourney that the ncaa wants very badly to work. i haven't thrown in the towel unless you narrowly define the towel as being the tourney. nd has looked very bad and very good this year but no matter where they end up i am all in for every game. i'm just more realistic than you. maybe i've had my heart broken a lot more than you have between notre dame and the chicago white sox but i think i fairly well know the writing on the wall (in this case that drop to #10) when i see it. with you hope must spring eternal. either way que sara sara. ps .... until you asked i had never heard of rock's house

"Since ND is out of it, I'm pulling for Louisville." Yeah, call it what you want, that's throwing in the towel, unless you prefer they not strive to play for NC's.

I've been reading your stuff for a long time and you are far from "realistic." You are knee-jerk negative. Its your default position, and I rarely hear you be complimentary, even when they play very well. If its because you're suffering from PTSD for many years of mediocity, that's fine, but it gets old after a while, especially when its just blanket subjective opinions not grounded in fact. For instance:

"ND has looked 'very bad' this year." That's a pretty subjective statement. They've made bad plays, but they've never really been out of any game they were in and were never really in danger of losing any of them. They've overcome those mistakes. Within the course of a game, sure, they've been both bad and good, but this is not the 2007-2009 version of this team that shits the bed against decent teams and loses close games in the 4th quarter. Overall, this team is way ahead of where it should be, given departures and wholesale change in defensive scheme and largely unhearalded underclassmen coming in to play. The fact that we're even having a discussion about their playoff chances should have everyone encouraged. I certainly didn't think they'd be in the discussion at the beginning of the season.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest about being around long enough to have one's heart broken. I was not only alive the last time they won a NC, I was in middle school at the time, so I do remember when this team was a force in college football. Maybe you don't. Maybe all you've known is the last 20 years, but I shouldn't presume so.

But yeah, hanging your hat on the #10 ranking in the first freaking poll and proclaiming them "out of the playoff" is not some sage position to stake out, with so much football left to be played, unless you can guarantee that the teams ahead of us will cannibalize themselves and stay there (you can't), or that teams behind us will take quantum leaps over us (they may, but you have no freaking clue). This all assumes we can finish the remainder undefeated, and I am not sure we can. But assuming that's the case, to say its over as far as a playoff now is not any more "realistic" than guaranteeing we are definitely in if we win out. The only "realistic" position to take is to wait and see in the coming weeks how much we advance, and as I said, we will need help to do it, never once did I say win out and we're in. Like I said, we'll know for certain that the fix is in if we're winning our games, even winning them convincingly and there's little to no movement in our spot, especially if teams ahead of us lose, or a team like Georgia passes us. Then I'm right there with ya.

Having hope is what being a fan is all about. Why the hell else do you root for the team?

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox just won a World Series in '05, quit bitching.

As for ND "looking very bad", I haven't seen that yet. You're being dramatic, as always. Notre Dame has had games where they've looked less than impressive, but at no time this season have they "looked very bad".

or ... perhaps you could butt out! having been a sox fan for more than 60 years gives me the right. as for your nd comment, i guess you didn't see the purdue (3-5) or north carolina (4-4) games. less than impressive? rose colored glasses talk for lousy.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Since ND is out of it, I'm pulling for Louisville." Yeah, call it what you want, that's throwing in the towel, unless you prefer they not strive to play for NC's.

I've been reading your stuff for a long time and you are far from "realistic." You are knee-jerk negative. Its your default position, and I rarely hear you be complimentary, even when they play very well. If its because you're suffering from PTSD for many years of mediocity, that's fine, but it gets old after a while, especially when its just blanket subjective opinions not grounded in fact. For instance:

"ND has looked 'very bad' this year." That's a pretty subjective statement. They've made bad plays, but they've never really been out of any game they were in and were never really in danger of losing any of them. They've overcome those mistakes. Within the course of a game, sure, they've been both bad and good, but this is not the 2007-2009 version of this team that shits the bed against decent teams and loses close games in the 4th quarter. Overall, this team is way ahead of where it should be, given departures and wholesale change in defensive scheme and largely unhearalded underclassmen coming in to play. The fact that we're even having a discussion about their playoff chances should have everyone encouraged. I certainly didn't think they'd be in the discussion at the beginning of the season.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest about being around long enough to have one's heart broken. I was not only alive the last time they won a NC, I was in middle school at the time, so I do remember when this team was a force in college football. Maybe you don't. Maybe all you've known is the last 20 years, but I shouldn't presume so.

But yeah, hanging your hat on the #10 ranking in the first freaking poll and proclaiming them "out of the playoff" is not some sage position to stake out, with so much football left to be played, unless you can guarantee that the teams ahead of us will cannibalize themselves and stay there (you can't), or that teams behind us will take quantum leaps over us (they may, but you have no freaking clue). This all assumes we can finish the remainder undefeated, and I am not sure we can. But assuming that's the case, to say its over as far as a playoff now is not any more "realistic" than guaranteeing we are definitely in if we win out. The only "realistic" position to take is to wait and see in the coming weeks how much we advance, and as I said, we will need help to do it, never once did I say win out and we're in. Like I said, we'll know for certain that the fix is in if we're winning our games, even winning them convincingly and there's little to no movement in our spot, especially if teams ahead of us lose, or a team like Georgia passes us. Then I'm right there with ya.

Having hope is what being a fan is all about. Why the hell else do you root for the team?

so as long as they aren't really terrible they're good for you? fine. let me tell you something,jj. when they do well i'm as happy as any fan can be. the fact i don't come here and cum with all you who can't get enough of patting themselves on the back doesn't mean i'm not a fan. all your details here are just babble. you don't like a more negative point of view? well i don't like the dreamers who talk about nothing but what is right with the team. kinda makes us even. you know, you can always just ignore my posts. or do you need to look for those whose opinions you don't like so you can trash them? kinda negative, isn't it? if you can't be civil then fuck you!

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bullshit! hope doesn't come from following a team of total strangers from all over the country playing under the flag of "your team". if that gives you hope then you're kind of a simpleton imo. i root for notre dame for several reasons. i grew up just outside of hammond indiana where i was born. we were catholics (which thankfully i have since shed)! my brother went to notre dame for 2 years! in other words, i inherited the root! and it's entertainment. i get involved as you would in a riveting movie. heart beats faster and it's exciting. i like to see the good guys win. when it's over i critique it. i don't blather over what went right. i think about what could have been better. ............ hope? one of the dumbest things i've read here in a long time (other than chicagoirish's posts of course).

Last edited by a moderator:

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so as long as they aren't really terrible they're good for you? fine. let me tell you something,jj. when they do well i'm as happy as any fan can be. the fact i don't come here and cum with all you who can't get enough of patting themselves on the back doesn't mean i'm not a fan. all your details here are just babble. you don't like a more negative point of view? well i don't like the dreamers who talk about nothing but what is right with the team. kinda makes us even. you know, you can always just ignore my posts. or do you need to look for those whose opinions you don't like so you can trash them? kinda negative, isn't it? if you can't be civil then fuck you!

Keep attacking that strawman buddy. I call them out when they mess up just as much as celebrate the good stuff. And yeah, its kinda the point of a a message board to respond to opinions you don't agree with, especially when it's mindless negativity. Given that I rarely respond to such posts of yours, its a safe bet that I do actually roll my eyes and ignore them. However, like I said before, sometimes it gets old. But, again, its a message board, you don't like that viewpoint challenged, grow a thicker skin.

And LOL at your civility saying the rest of us "cum" on the message board and saying "fuck you." If you were offended by my comments about you being abused, I apologize. It was meant as nothing more than a joke. Just lighten up a bit man.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bullshit! hope doesn't come from following a team of total strangers from all over the country playing under the flag of "your team". if that gives you hope then you're kind of a simpleton imo. i root for notre dame for several reasons. i grew up just outside of hammond indiana where i was born. we were catholics (which thankfully i have since shed)! my brother went to notre dame for 2 years! in other words, i inherited the root! and it's entertainment. i get involved as you would in a riveting movie. heart beats faster and it's exciting. i like to see the good guys win. when it's over i critique it. i don't blather over what went right. i think about what could have been better. ............ hope? one of the dumbest things i've read here in a long time (other than chicagoirish's posts of course).

Sigh. I am not saying the team GIVES me hope. You can't be this obtuse. I am saying, you root for a team because you hope they succeed. You want them to succeed, because you know, winning is more fun than losing (plus its the object of the game).

I, like you, have no direct attachment to the University of Notre Dame. My father went there, so I was born into it. Unlike you, I didn't grow up near the school. Like you, I was born and raised Catholic, although hardly practicing anymore, but my Catholicsm had nothing to do with my fandom, that's 100% on my dad. But being a fan of the team is a hobby of mine. I enjoy it immensely, and, yeah, I tend to hope things work out for the best for them. That doesn't mean I don't accept things for what they are, but I don't blindly write them off before their time is done either because that's what I expect them to do out of some self-important need to feel like I am right about them.

Sooo, you're a fan of ND so you can critique it as to what it can do to be better? You must be real fun to hang out with. I imagine if you view ND football like going to the movies to steal your analogy, your friends aren't allowed to discuss what they liked about a film, but they get to hear your criticsims of what the director did wrong. :lol:

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep attacking that strawman buddy. I call them out when they mess up just as much as celebrate the good stuff. And yeah, its kinda the point of a a message board to respond to opinions you don't agree with, especially when it's mindless negativity. Given that I rarely respond to such posts of yours, its a safe bet that I do actually roll my eyes and ignore them. However, like I said before, sometimes it gets old. But, again, its a message board, you don't like that viewpoint challenged, grow a thicker skin.

And LOL at your civility saying the rest of us "cum" on the message board and saying "fuck you." If you were offended by my comments about you being abused, I apologize. It was meant as nothing more than a joke. Just lighten up a bit man.

i don't mind my viewpoint challenged ... just do it as if we were in front of each other.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't mind my viewpoint challenged ... just do it as if we were in front of each other.

Well, not to sound all "internet tough guy," but there was nothing about the way I responded that would be any different if I were talking to you face to face. Of course, then you'd have the benefit of knowing my comment was in jest, given my facial reaction and tone of voice.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sigh. I am not saying the team GIVES me hope. You can't be this obtuse. I am saying, you root for a team because you hope they succeed. You want them to succeed, because you know, winning is more fun than losing (plus its the object of the game).

I, like you, have no direct attachment to the University of Notre Dame. My father went there, so I was born into it. Unlike you, I didn't grow up near the school. Like you, I was born and raised Catholic, although hardly practicing anymore, but my Catholicsm had nothing to do with my fandom, that's 100% on my dad. But being a fan of the team is a hobby of mine. I enjoy it immensely, and, yeah, I tend to hope things work out for the best for them. That doesn't mean I don't accept things for what they are, but I don't blindly write them off before their time is done either because that's what I expect them to do out of some self-important need to feel like I am right about them.

Sooo, you're a fan of ND so you can critique it as to what it can do to be better? You must be real fun to hang out with. I imagine if you view ND football like going to the movies to steal your analogy, your friends aren't allowed to discuss what they liked about a film, but they get to hear your criticsims of what the director did wrong. :lol:

then 'hope' was a very poor choice of words. . what you call "blindly writing them off" is no such thing. first, there's nothing blind about it. odds are against them and you know it. second, i know it's not over. odds CAN be overcome, but let's be real. all of you felt the same rush of air go out of your lungs when you saw where the committee put them. there's a reason for that. having said that, i do still hope it can happen. . as to my movie analogy ... that probably wasn't the best choice. but even so, if i noticed things that don't make sense in a movie .... yes! i sometimes bring it up. i've never noticed any of them minding, in fact i usually get agreement. there are websites devoted to mistakes in movies! and i don't disallow them discussing what they liked, anymore than i rag on you when you gush over what's good about nd. . so, maybe you should just fight the urge to type when you see a post of mine you don't agree with. i don't recall doing that to anyone here without a reasoned response and i've never suggested any of you were abused as a child .... tho i think i could do a fairly accurate psychological workup of more than one poster here.

Last edited by a moderator:

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, not to sound all "internet tough guy," but there was nothing about the way I responded that would be any different if I were talking to you face to face. Of course, then you'd have the benefit of knowing my comment was in jest, given my facial reaction and tone of voice.

and that is the definitive reason for being careful about what you say. btw, i didn't see a smiley after that comment.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then 'hope' was a very poor choice of words. . what you call "blindly writing them off" is no such thing. first, there's nothing blind about it. odds are against them and you know it. second, i know it's not over. odds CAN be overcome, but let's be real. all of you felt the same rush of air go out of your lungs when you saw where the committee put them. there's a reason for that. having said that, i do still hope it can happen. . as to my movie analogy ... that probably wasn't the best choice. but even so, if i noticed things that don't make sense in a movie .... yes! i sometimes bring it up. i've never noticed any of them minding, in fact i usually get agreement. there are websites devoted to mistakes in movies! and i don't disallow them discussing what they liked, anymore than i rag on you when you gush over what's good about nd. . so, maybe you should just fight the urge to type when you see a post of mine you don't agree with. i don't recall doing that to anyone here without a reasoned response and i've never suggested any of you were abused as a child .... tho i think i could do a fairly accurate psychological workup of more than one poster here.

Except you're not saying any of those things.

Saying the odds are against them = reasoned opinion (and if you've been paying attention to anything else I've written on the subject, one I agree with).

Saying its all over for them, like you did in your original comment that set me off = blindly writing them off. At least, that's how I'm reading it, and, given your body of work around here, merited a response IMO. Instead, you've been acting incredibly butthurt by my reaction to that comment, pulling out the old "say it to my face" bit that I so love on message boards, and mock my civility while saying "F you" and making other vulgar comments about being complimentary on these boards when things are going well, and basically making up that I am some sort of blind ND loyalist who can't ever criticize the team or the way they play. More than enough people around here know that simply isn't who I am and you're welcome to read any one of my posts to see otherwise.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure what I said that was so dumb that you deemed it the "dumbest thing you've read in a long time".

For as long as I've been reading your comments, you've been the most negative poster we have. Almost to the tone of being anti Notre Dame, just so you can beat your chest in a "I told you so" type of way.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except you're not saying any of those things.

Saying the odds are against them = reasoned opinion (and if you've been paying attention to anything else I've written on the subject, one I agree with).

Saying its all over for them, like you did in your original comment that set me off = blindly writing them off. At least, that's how I'm reading it, and, given your body of work around here, merited a response IMO. Instead, you've been acting incredibly butthurt by my reaction to that comment, pulling out the old "say it to my face" bit that I so love on message boards, and mock my civility while saying "F you" and making other vulgar comments about being complimentary on these boards when things are going well, and basically making up that I am some sort of blind ND loyalist who can't ever criticize the team or the way they play. More than enough people around here know that simply isn't who I am and you're welcome to read any one of my posts to see otherwise.

really? cause i made a slightly exaggerated comment you go off the deep end? and btw i explained that when you first pointed it out. and the 'say it to my face' shot is just ridiculous. that wasn't said in the manner of 'i'd dare you to say it to my face'. it was talk to me on here as if you were talking face to face. it's not the same and you damned well know it. and face it, the incivility was started by you, not me. and i never called you a blind loyalist, did i? i never even suggested it. if that's all the better you can read then you need some help.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what I said that was so dumb that you deemed it the "dumbest thing you've read in a long time".

For as long as I've been reading your comments, you've been the most negative poster we have. Almost to the tone of being anti Notre Dame, just so you can beat your chest in a "I told you so" type of way.

let's just say ... why don't you stay out of arguments that are not your concern? as to your dumb comments ..... that's not something i wish to dredge up again. you and i did that a long time ago ( or will you pretend to not remember?) and you're the 'butthurt' one who takes every chance he can to get in a shot. i've ignored your comments for over a year ... until of course you decided to take another shot.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or ... perhaps you could butt out! having been a sox fan for more than 60 years gives me the right. as for your nd comment, i guess you didn't see the purdue (3-5) or north carolina (4-4) games. less than impressive? rose colored glasses talk for lousy.

Well I guess the silver lining is that UNC could win out and make it into the ACC championship game not that it makes the win a lot better with the state of the ACC.