• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Former Giants in the Big Leagues - 2024 edition

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wood is officially gone.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a banner day in the tzill household!

John Brebbia to White Sox. Has 3-1 or better strikeout to walk ratio every year.
@jonmorosi
1st

As much as hated him, at least he was worth talking about. I will give him that.
Both of you got to see your "favorite" players from 2023 leave. Who says this hasn't been a banner offseason for the Giants?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both of you got to see your "favorite" players from 2023 leave. Who says this hasn't been a banner offseason for the Giants?
I feel that tz and I have truly bonded this off season in our outright hatred of certain players hitting the road. We may be celebrating different players leaving, but the the emotions are the same at the end of the day.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel that tz and I have truly bonded this off season in our outright hatred of certain players hitting the road. We may be celebrating different players leaving, but the the emotions are the same at the end of the day.
You guys feel that tore up that Brebbia and Peterson left, eh?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forever Mariner, Anthony DeSclafani was traded to Min as part of a 4 player package for Jorge Polanco.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forever Mariner, Anthony DeSclafani was traded to Min as part of a 4 player package for Jorge Polanco.
was just discussing Polanco with a buddy. We could have used him to backup Lucy and Tyro. Solid, if unspectacular player

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was just discussing Polanco with a buddy. We could have used him to backup Lucy and Tyro. Solid, if unspectacular player
This trade works out in Polanco's favor. He has a clear shot at starting with Seattle.

Looking at OPS+, Polanco is actually superior, offensively at least, to Estrada. Polanco's OPS+ for the past 3 seasons has been 125, 115, 115, while Estrada's has been 118, 105, 101.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade works out in Polanco's favor. He has a clear shot at starting with Seattle.

Looking at OPS+, Polanco is actually superior, offensively at least, to Estrada. Polanco's OPS+ for the past 3 seasons has been 125, 115, 115, while Estrada's has been 118, 105, 101.
Been gone for awhile. Just noticed your CA to TN

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't finish ... guessing you moved. Recently?
Not an easy thing to do. I moved from NY to Nova Scotia Canada.. From a very surban area to a very rural area. Been about 18 months now. Still adjusting. Very hard to things you never quite considered or even imagined.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't finish ... guessing you moved. Recently?
Not an easy thing to do. I moved from NY to Nova Scotia Canada.. From a very surban area to a very rural area. Been about 18 months now. Still adjusting. Very hard to things you never quite considered or even imagined.
Yup. Took last week to drive the family and stuff out there and came back to So Cal to wrap things up in the office before transitioning to remote work. There is a lot of difficult in the move but it seems to be for the good of the family, thus the reason for the decision. We are going from suburban Orange County to rural southwestern Tennessee (about 1.5 hours east of Memphis, right on the state line with Mississippi). There is a lot I know I'll miss but I'm sure that there will be more than I know I'll miss.
Edit: I'm a lifelong Californian, so it is hard to move from this state. There may be a lot I don't like about it but it has still been home.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Took last week to drive the family and stuff out there and came back to So Cal to wrap things up in the office before transitioning to remote work. There is a lot of difficult in the move but it seems to be for the good of the family, thus the reason for the decision. We are going from suburban Orange County to rural southwestern Tennessee (about 1.5 hours east of Memphis, right on the state line with Mississippi). There is a lot I know I'll miss but I'm sure that there will be more than I know I'll miss.
Edit: I'm a lifelong Californian, so it is hard to move from this state. There may be a lot I don't like about it but it has still been home.
I grew up in the BA, but left just before my 19th bday. I have only been back, MAYBE 4 or 5 times since. Once I was back for a whole summer (summer ‘94) every other time was just for a short visit (max 3 or so days).

It is still home. Even though I have now lived in SD longer than I lived in the BA, I am still “from” SF.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up in the BA, but left just before my 19th bday. I have only been back, MAYBE 4 or 5 times since. Once I was back for a whole summer (summer ‘94) every other time was just for a short visit (max 3 or so days).

It is still home. Even though I have now lived in SD longer than I lived in the BA, I am still “from” SF.
Yeah, home seems to be where you grew up, no matter where else you've lived or how long you've lived elsewhere. I grew up in the Fresno area but have spent more of my live in Orange County. While OC feels like home, I still identify Fresno as my hometown.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, home seems to be where you grew up, no matter where else you've lived or how long you've lived elsewhere. I grew up in the Fresno area but have spent more of my live in Orange County. While OC feels like home, I still identify Fresno as my hometown.Most
Most Interesting thread topic I have read on this board ....... being one of the oldest (age) members on this board (looking up at 80 now) the concepts of home and 'where are you from' tend to resonate with me quite a bit. The meaning of the two concepts seem to change from person to person BUT are also affected by who is asking the question.

I personally think of 'home' as where I spent the majority of my childhood. 'Where I grew up. BUT ... in the same sense 'home' is really nothing more than a set of my memories. My memories of home are based in the 1950's but today there are little or no physical reminders of 'home'. The apartment I grew up in is gone. Replaced by a strip mall. The baseball/park area that I spent a large amount of time in (played many baseball games in) is now a large Catholic High School. The elevated train station that I traveled on is now a COSTCO. The library that was across the street is now part of a superstore complex. All the local small stores that were there are now gone. For me .... home is where my memories are ... but physically that place no longer exists. Been there a few times in the past few decades. Very difficult (emotionally you feel the differences) to compare your memories with the physical realities.

Even on this board the terms can become confusing. If someone in Tennessee asks LHG "where are you from" I think they are really asking "where did you move from to get here". I think it really depends on how well the two involved parties know each other. If you are new to an area, a forum board, community center etc. I'd venture to say they are really asking "Where do you live".

But, if you are friends with the person asking (where are you from), then I think it's more in line with "where did you grow up". That is where I think the term 'home' fits well.

On this particular board .... if you were asked "Where's Home" ..... you answer may be different depending on who asked the question.....

Just my 2 cents .....

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most Interesting thread topic I have read on this board ....... being one of the oldest (age) members on this board (looking up at 80 now) the concepts of home and 'where are you from' tend to resonate with me quite a bit. The meaning of the two concepts seem to change from person to person BUT are also affected by who is asking the question.

I personally think of 'home' as where I spent the majority of my childhood. 'Where I grew up. BUT ... in the same sense 'home' is really nothing more than a set of my memories. My memories of home are based in the 1950's but today there are little or no physical reminders of 'home'. The apartment I grew up in is gone. Replaced by a strip mall. The baseball/park area that I spent a large amount of time in (played many baseball games in) is now a large Catholic High School. The elevated train station that I traveled on is now a COSTCO. The library that was across the street is now part of a superstore complex. All the local small stores that were there are now gone. For me .... home is where my memories are ... but physically that place no longer exists. Been there a few times in the past few decades. Very difficult (emotionally you feel the differences) to compare your memories with the physical realities.

Even on this board the terms can become confusing. If someone in Tennessee asks LHG "where are you from" I think they are really asking "where did you move from to get here". I think it really depends on how well the two involved parties know each other. If you are new to an area, a forum board, community center etc. I'd venture to say they are really asking "Where do you live".

But, if you are friends with the person asking (where are you from), then I think it's more in line with "where did you grow up". That is where I think the term 'home' fits well.

On this particular board .... if you were asked "Where's Home" ..... you answer may be different depending on who asked the question.....

Just my 2 cents .....
It is true, is a subjective question that requires a certain level of discernment based on who is asking the question.

And memories - for me, there are still places where I grew up that exists. The house I spent the majority of my 1st 12 years is still there but it looks much different. The big back yard has been mostly filled by an apartment that looks bigger than the original house in front of it. The crime rate in the neighborhood has skyrocketed. Of course, most of the neighbors I knew have either passed away or moved elsewhere. (Side note, there was an elderly couple that lived at the end of the block whom all the neighbor kids would visit to see their desert tortoises in the back yard and get some candy. They were one of the same people whom you didn't have to be leery of. I'm sure that they passed away years ago. They were in their 70s when I was a child). But yet, the memories are still there. I guess that is where the saying comes from "Home is where the heart is".

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Member of the churn who has done quite well for himself since getting churned out

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Member of the churn who has done quite well for himself since getting churned out
Who was it that we traded him away for ? I would look but I’m away from home driving through Texas. I did wave to Bochy though, at least I think it was him, he was wearing a Ranger Jersey, so probably.