• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Football Transfers and Attrition

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... Wright was a quality backup, especially behind Rogers. Wish he was staying but oh well.

I'm not getting too worked up by losing a LS.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I'll give a little love to the long snappers... Eddie D'Antuono had surpassed St. Germain at LS, right? A fifth year senior LS that wasn't going to play barring injury... not a huge surprise.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By my count this gets us down to 84 scholarships. I was wondering how they were going to get under 85. Hughes, Trimble, Branthover, DiNardo, Byrn, and Meyer were all WOs that earned scholarships at some point, but I'm not sure whether VT always renews those year to year like they do with recruited scholarship players. So we may have already been down to 85 before these moves, and be lower than 84 now. I'd wonder if Branthover's scholarship would go to Ludwig if the current depth chart holds, except that I think I remember him being promised a delayed scholarship to come to Tech. Has Meyer fallen far enough down the depth chart after his injury issues last year to not have his scholarship renewed?

Guys that probably ought to get scholarships if we have them to give:
1) Sam Rogers. Please...
2) whoever wins the PK competition...
3) Eddie D'Antuono. Will he take St. Germain's scholy?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By my count this gets us down to 84 scholarships. I was wondering how they were going to get under 85. Hughes, Trimble, Branthover, DiNardo, Byrn, and Meyer were all WOs that earned scholarships at some point, but I'm not sure whether VT always renews those year to year like they do with recruited scholarship players. So we may have already been down to 85 before these moves, and be lower than 84 now. I'd wonder if Branthover's scholarship would go to Ludwig if the current depth chart holds, except that I think I remember him being promised a delayed scholarship to come to Tech. Has Meyer fallen far enough down the depth chart after his injury issues last year to not have his scholarship renewed?

1) Sam Rogers. Please...

I think that we will be down closer to 80 by the fall so all three of those guys will get theres. Rogers certainly will. I thought he already had.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Rogers has, but I've not seen anything stating that. More than a little surprised about that, actually.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am assuming all of these guys have moved on. I haven't seen official statements to that effect, but they're no longer on the roster, and none are really surprising:

Matt Arkema
Jake Goins
Matt Roth
Mark Irick

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) Sam Rogers. Please...

Rogers is scholarship, according to this

2014 Virginia Tech Football Scholarship Distribution Chart - Gobbler Country

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am assuming all of these guys have moved on. I haven't seen official statements to that effect, but they're no longer on the roster, and none are really surprising:

Matt Arkema
Jake Goins
Matt Roth
Mark Irick

I thought Arkema graduated? Wasn't Goins the one who was MIA in the spring?....figured he was gone already. I think Roth may have been able to graduate and probably moved on. Not sure about Irick, heard he had some injury issues. I don't think we are missing a beat by not having these guys around.

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Mark Shuman to retire from football: Senior suffers torn meniscus in knee for third time <a href="http://t.co/JyxdFmRUML">http://t.co/JyxdFmRUML</a></p>&mdash; VT Football (@VT_Football) <a href="https://twitter.com/VT_Football/statuses/500020859667775488">August 14, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Arkema graduated? Wasn't Goins the one who was MIA in the spring?....figured he was gone already. I think Roth may have been able to graduate and probably moved on. Not sure about Irick, heard he had some injury issues. I don't think we are missing a beat by not having these guys around.

I think Arkema did graduate but he had another year of eligibility if he wanted it. Don't know about Roth there... He would have been a rJr. Had some concussion issues so that is probably the deal there. Goins missed last year with back issues but was supposed to come back... Guess not. Irick also had some injury issues.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Mark Shuman to retire from football: Senior suffers torn meniscus in knee for third time <a href="http://t.co/JyxdFmRUML">http://t.co/JyxdFmRUML</a></p>&mdash; VT Football (@VT_Football) <a href="https://twitter.com/VT_Football/statuses/500020859667775488">August 14, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hate to see this for a guy that has worked hard and was about to finally get his shot. Need our remaining tackles to stay healthy...

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible news about Shuman for him and the team. He was going to be in a position of importance even if he ended up 2nd string. He was going to see the field this year.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need some more quality big uglies in this program ASAP.

Hate to hear that about Shuman.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:(

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So has a left the team or just taking time away from the team? If the issues were family related and not his issues, I am sure we'd have heard about them by now.