• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Football Recruiting

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley Reiff's little brother committed the other day...slow news I guess, even with the spring game

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would agree with the slow chatter on Iowa's football program this time of year.

I myself am a little apprehensive at this point of the season. I'm nervous about the WR corps and the running game. To be an elite team, I feel that Iowa needs to have 24+ passing TDs and 20+ rushing TDs in order to be at that next level. The WRs are young...but talented. Given Iowa's recent offensive lines, the program hasn't had a 1000 yard rusher in awhile -- a concern. I know the program has had injuries at the position and some transfers, but it is time to produce some 1000 yard rushers and 12+ TDs every year.

I'm excited about Iowa's defensive unit. I think that will be an area of strength given Iowa's soft schedule this year. The unit will have time to improve in preparation for the tougher games later in the season. I really feel that the LB unit will have a very solid year because of the talent on the defensive line. And the blitz packages that are looming...can't wait to see the "Raider" defense Parker is developing.

I'm looking forward to this season - more so - than in years past!!

Go Hawks!!

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on the 1000 yard rusher, but also think that is a by product of guys getting hurt and...really our rushers are good but are they the Shonn Greene type who was more of a Wisconsin mold of big and bad and can't be taken down. I saw Weisman get taken down a lot easier last year than the year before, he just doesn't make people miss and that was our featured back.

Canzeri and Co are good but they aren't big, and will get arm tackled more...we should have had Melvin Gordon but the Badgers got him...we just don't have guys in that mold. It is possible that Daniels will develop into that though, liked him last year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The young backs that came in this year will all be legit. Watch rs freshman Willies become the next great Iowa wr. I can't wait for this season, I'm going with 10+ wins. This years class is off to a great start!

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love having Aaron in the fold, there is no one who is always so optimistic, I hope they win 11 myself but am not going to make any predictions this year. I want 9 no matter what, that is achievable each year if you ask me.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm predicting that my prediction, whatever it is, will be way, WAY off.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This source produces a nice conference helmet schedule for all teams. I just have to laugh at the SEC aggregate schedule. So many FCS games and bye weeks - again - late in the season. That should allow SEC teams to pick up the "points" needed for the playoff season.

This is the URL of the source: FBSchedules.com - College Football Schedules and Pro Football Schedules

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on the 1000 yard rusher, but also think that is a by product of guys getting hurt and...really our rushers are good but are they the Shonn Greene type who was more of a Wisconsin mold of big and bad and can't be taken down. I saw Weisman get taken down a lot easier last year than the year before, he just doesn't make people miss and that was our featured back.

Canzeri and Co are good but they aren't big, and will get arm tackled more...we should have had Melvin Gordon but the Badgers got him...we just don't have guys in that mold. It is possible that Daniels will develop into that though, liked him last year.

We have a lot of solid RBs...two solid QBs, a solid Oline, an experienced receiver in KMM, solid TEs and some young talent at WR...our defense will be solid as long as the LB corp can adjust quickly...our schedule is weak sauce...could be a fun year

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the most balanced team we've had in a while and from what I've heard people are impressed with the speed we have

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like every 5 or 6 years we have a special season, 2009 being the last one

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good comments from all!!

I still believe that KF needs to bring in break-away speed at the RB position. Someone that can take it to the house consistently really sends the message that Iowa will pound on you behind a quality O-Line. That would open up the passing game immensely and enable Iowa's QBs and WRs/TEs to just destroy teams.

Can't wait for the upcoming season!!

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hawkcentral has an interesting story about Hilliard today, but I thought this tidbit was interesting: MARKEL SMITH UPDATE: Running back Markel Smith hopes to join the Iowa football team for the spring semester. Smith, who currently attends Milford Academy in New Berlin, N.Y., told HawkeyeInsider.com that he will take the ACTon Saturday. It will be the first of three chances that Smith has to earn a passing score on the test.
"I think I'm prepared," Smith told Hawkeye Insider.com. "It's crazy that a couple questions could determine someone's life."
A native of St. Louis, Smith signed a letter of intent with Iowa in February after rushing for over 7,000 yards in high school. However, he failed to earn a passing score on the ACT coming out of high school.

Now Smith went to a private Catholic school here in St Louis called Vianney. It touts itself on providing a superior education to young men...but apparently can't help the kid pass the ACT? I know this has happened to a lot of kids here that attend these "prestigious" private schools, CBC, DeSmet, Chaminade, Vianney, etc...they are like mini colleges that are supposed to promote academic and athletic standards above the rest, what a bunch of bullshit.

Having said that, the kid is talented on the field and I do thing he would bring that speed and toughness that we have been missing at RB, the Todd Gurley type of RB is kind of how I see him, as long as they can give him tutors to help the academics.