• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Football Camp June 3rd Visitors

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes my opinion is based on draft selections. As far as the Boise game is concerned only 2011 and 2012 should matter because those were their upperclassmen that played against us

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think draft selections is a better show of talent than recruiting rankings. But draft rankings should also be at least a 4 year break down because some years some schools put 7 guys in the NFL and 3 the next just based on class staging.

Depends on if you are viewing talent out of high school or talent out of college. Peterson and his staff are probably the best in the country at turning subpar talent into play makers, but i don't think a whole lot of those guys were talented when they came to Boise. Same can go, to a lesser degree, for Stanford. A+ coaching and work ethic can make up for a lack of talent, and can make a 2* guy that nobody wants (Brandon Flowers) into a pro bowl caliber guy in the NFL.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same can go, to a lesser degree, for Stanford. A+ coaching and work ethic can make up for a lack of talent, and can make a 2* guy that nobody wants (Brandon Flowers) into a pro bowl caliber guy in the NFL.

Is that making up for lack of talent or exploiting talent to its full potential?

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is that making up for lack of talent or exploiting talent to its full potential?

What you said.

It's more a recognition of talent and development of it, isn't it?

The ratings aren't always right.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A little of both, and it depends on the player. Rock Carmichael vs Brandon Flowers is probably a good example on our side. Rock was almost put out to pasture by Coach Gray, and was basically told he would most likely never earn a starting position, so he worked his ass off and took his coaching in stride to become a draft worthy player....while Flowers was probably much more talented than most realized and the coaching staff exploited his full potential (and then some probably.)

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boise may have had a slight edge in top-end talent (that's debatable). They certainly didn't have an edge in depth of talent. It's silly to think that only those who were later drafted would affect the outcome of a football game.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lost that game in the first quarter, plain and simple. After that, we mostly outplayed them and they were able to pull it out at the end because Kellen Moore was a great player. I'd say that we were pretty evenly matched talent-wise.

As a general statement, most of these arguments are getting so silly and pointless. Let Fooz think what he wants. It is nearly impossible to prove that Boise was/wasn't more talented then us, so what's the point in trying to prove him wrong? Discussions are fine, but the recent rise in everyone insisting on proving others wrong is alienating members and making this site less enjoyable.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Boise may have had a slight edge in top-end talent (that's debatable). They certainly didn't have an edge in depth of talent. It's silly to think that only those who were later drafted would affect the outcome of a football game.

We have all heard how Wiles and Newsome have played their starters almost the whole game so I think their lack of depth(if they had one) at least for that game was not an issue. I simply think their starters were better than ours

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We spotted a very talented team 17 points.

We got two personal fouls on one damn punt.

We had our first punt of the season blocked.

Darren Evans touched the ball like 5 times.

There were a lot of reasons that we lost that game, but I put a ton of it on lack of prep on the special teams.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah I remember how gassed R. Williams was at the end of the game. I don't know why they were afraid to put Evans in especially at the end when their defense had to have been tired and a fresh power back would've punished them. That was a real head scratcher. If I remember correctly the team was fairly experienced but they panicked in the 1st quarter like a bunch of true freshman.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I remember how gassed R. Williams was at the end of the game. I don't know why they were afraid to put Evans in especially at the end when their defense had to have been tired and a fresh power back would've punished them. That was a real head scratcher. If I remember correctly the team was fairly experienced but they panicked in the 1st quarter like a bunch of true freshman.

Yup, their DL was not huge but very fast and athletic and were swallowing up RW. It seemed that healthy dose of head cracking from #32 would have slowed them down a bit and given RW some more room.

The late hit call on BT was BS as well. I think they would have gotten us anyway, but the extra 15 didn't help.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was at the game, and in person it was clear we were more talented. You could close your eyes and tell the difference between our hits and theirs. We spotted them a huge lead and then kicked ass for 3 quarters minus one half-drive (and JGW mismatch).

Can someone who saw it on TV please explain to me the flag on Boise's last kickoff return?

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was at the game, and in person it was clear we were more talented. You could close your eyes and tell the difference between our hits and theirs. We spotted them a huge lead and then kicked ass for 3 quarters minus one half-drive (and JGW mismatch).

Can someone who saw it on TV please explain to me the flag on Boise's last kickoff return?

You mean the one that happened right in front of me at FedEx where there was a clear clip that the ref originally threw then picked up? Not that I am still bitter over that or Dyrell getting mugged on VT's last play with no flag thrown.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You mean the one that happened right in front of me at FedEx where there was a clear clip that the ref originally threw then picked up? Not that I am still bitter over that or Dyrell getting mugged on VT's last play with no flag thrown.

That's the one. I held my piss the entire game - ran to the mens room to try to beat the kickoff - and heard over the speakers that there was a flag. By the time I got back to my seat, they were picking it up and my wife couldn't tell me what had happened.

Lee_grazie

GO TERPS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright so can someone clear it up for me.... was DJ Reid there or not??

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We spotted a very talented team 17 points.

We got two personal fouls on one damn punt.

We had our first punt of the season blocked.

Darren Evans touched the ball like 5 times.

There were a lot of reasons that we lost that game, but I put a ton of it on lack of prep on the special teams.

Excellent analysis.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I apparently work with Grayson Boyce's grand-uncle. He just popped his head into my office and said if I had heard of him... I hadn't but then I found this article. According to do I work with, Williams is in the bag for Tech, Grayson not far behind FWIW.

Hokie Camp Hosts Prominent Peninsula Backs | Recruit757

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should also mention, dude said neither were offered yet. We can't offer officially until after the end of the sophomore year, right?

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1