• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fixing the basketball team?

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lineback- im actually a big psu fan as well. im not calling psu out. im stating that psu had a pretty obvious problem with those arrest rates. 46 players arrested in a 6 year window is bad no matter how you slice it. to put that in perspective florida under urban which is perhaps the most notorious school with arrest problems, their worst arrest stat was 31 arrests in a 5 year window. you can point to other schools all you want but it doesnt fix some obvious warning signs that we should have seen. i was hearing about this stuff way before that OTL report. and trust me, the way OTL falsely outed syracuse basketball makes me hate that tv show too.

im actually a fan of 5 different cfb teams (yeah i know get shit about that all the time but i have been rooting for all those teams since i was little and have legit reasons for doing so) im currently a student at colorado. out of the 5 they are my least favorite and for reasons that you stated......they annoy the crap out of me the way they run athletics. but the difference between CU and psu is that CUs coach wasnt untouchable. and that CUs bb program isnt treated like a little sister of the poor.

as for the booster thing, you are totally wrong. you cant get boosters to come first. thats insane & stupid. no booster is gonna invest in a sport that the school doesnt care about. its up to guys like curley & paterno who easily coulda rallied up a few FB boosters to look into basketball. but what they shoulda done first is support the BB team. PSU had one of the largest athletic budgets. they easily could of shelled out enough money to get a good coach. 2 mill a year gets you top 15 highest paid coach. with psu's fanbase size theres no way they couldnt have had bb support on the same level as um osu & msu. but the bottom line it was never a question about boosters, because psu is about 50 years behind every other BB program, its 50 years of neglect that put psu in that spot not a lack of boosters

boosters dont just decide on a whim to donate money, its a business and they need to be worked over by psu personal. the need to be sucked up too, invited to events, be given the inside scoop, and in some cases simply asked. what happened with psu hockey is unique and wont be happening elsewhere. they got that arena because the owner of the buffalo sabres is doing a smart business move by promoting psu hockey. thats a 1 in a 1000 event that you cant say "well thats our model to follow in BB". and its not like he did it on a whim. psu was about to take a club sport to the ncaa. he probably approached psu sometime after that and it was then when curley devoted a tour of midwest college arena's with him that he decided to write a check.

the school with perhaps the biggest football cultural (texas) has the 8th highest paid basketball coach
the school with perhaps the biggest athletic budget (ohio state) has the 7th highest paid basketball coach

in BB the model to follow is syracuse uconn & louisville. all are top 10 programs who joined the BB elites late in the game. those 3 schools didnt really get huge booster support until the last 5-10 years. before that they got by on recruiting good coaches and rallying up fan support. boosters dont build programs (with a few exceptions like oregon fb & psu hockey when you get 9 figure donations) they keep good programs strong.

i never mentioned joe pa-pedo so why are you bringing that up? the joe pa apologist give psu a bad rep imo. sometimes its best to just move on and look at PSUs future and not their past

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lineback- im actually a big psu fan as well. im not calling psu out. im stating that psu had a pretty obvious problem with those arrest rates. 46 players arrested in a 6 year window is bad no matter how you slice it. to put that in perspective florida under urban which is perhaps the most notorious school with arrest problems, their worst arrest stat was 31 arrests in a 5 year window. you can point to other schools all you want but it doesnt fix some obvious warning signs that we should have seen. i was hearing about this stuff way before that OTL report. and trust me, the way OTL falsely outed syracuse basketball makes me hate that tv show too.

im actually a fan of 5 different cfb teams (yeah i know get shit about that all the time but i have been rooting for all those teams since i was little and have legit reasons for doing so) im currently a student at colorado. out of the 5 they are my least favorite and for reasons that you stated......they annoy the crap out of me the way they run athletics. but the difference between CU and psu is that CUs coach wasnt untouchable. and that CUs bb program isnt treated like a little sister of the poor.

as for the booster thing, you are totally wrong. you cant get boosters to come first. thats insane & stupid. no booster is gonna invest in a sport that the school doesnt care about. its up to guys like curley & paterno who easily coulda rallied up a few FB boosters to look into basketball. but what they shoulda done first is support the BB team. PSU had one of the largest athletic budgets. they easily could of shelled out enough money to get a good coach. 2 mill a year gets you top 15 highest paid coach. with psu's fanbase size theres no way they couldnt have had bb support on the same level as um osu & msu. but the bottom line it was never a question about boosters, because psu is about 50 years behind every other BB program, its 50 years of neglect that put psu in that spot not a lack of boosters

boosters dont just decide on a whim to donate money, its a business and they need to be worked over by psu personal. the need to be sucked up too, invited to events, be given the inside scoop, and in some cases simply asked. what happened with psu hockey is unique and wont be happening elsewhere. they got that arena because the owner of the buffalo sabres is doing a smart business move by promoting psu hockey. thats a 1 in a 1000 event that you cant say "well thats our model to follow in BB". and its not like he did it on a whim. psu was about to take a club sport to the ncaa. he probably approached psu sometime after that and it was then when curley devoted a tour of midwest college arena's with him that he decided to write a check.

the school with perhaps the biggest football cultural (texas) has the 8th highest paid basketball coach
the school with perhaps the biggest athletic budget (ohio state) has the 7th highest paid basketball coach

in BB the model to follow is syracuse uconn & louisville. all are top 10 programs who joined the BB elites late in the game. those 3 schools didnt really get huge booster support until the last 5-10 years. before that they got by on recruiting good coaches and rallying up fan support. boosters dont build programs (with a few exceptions like oregon fb & psu hockey when you get 9 figure donations) they keep good programs strong.

i never mentioned joe pa-pedo so why are you bringing that up? the joe pa apologist give psu a bad rep imo. sometimes its best to just move on and look at PSUs future and not their past

Please look up Terrence M. and Kim Pegula and then come back to the thread about boosters.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are talking about a Booster who will donate to the basketball team not Hockey or Football which Mr. Pegula so graciously has done. What I believe John is saying is that A) No one seems to be really supporting the basketball team (student body, boosters, etc.) so it's hard to fine people to donate any lump some of money to the BB team when their isn't that much hype for the program as the others. B) Mr. Pegula situation is not common. You aren't going to find 1 person who will put up $100 million for a program. However if you can get the right coach who recruits and starts generating wins and gets the team some positive espn time then you will start getting the boosters who will start donating a $1,000-$10,000 a year to help the basketball team.

There is no reason Penn State can't be competitive in basketball in a few years. I like Chambers but the wins are not there yet. 1) Recruiting 2) Coaching 3) wins will all help get the boosters.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are talking about a Booster who will donate to the basketball team not Hockey or Football which Mr. Pegula so graciously has done. What I believe John is saying is that A) No one seems to be really supporting the basketball team (student body, boosters, etc.) so it's hard to fine people to donate any lump some of money to the BB team when their isn't that much hype for the program as the others. B) Mr. Pegula situation is not common. You aren't going to find 1 person who will put up $100 million for a program. However if you can get the right coach who recruits and starts generating wins and gets the team some positive espn time then you will start getting the boosters who will start donating a $1,000-$10,000 a year to help the basketball team.

There is no reason Penn State can't be competitive in basketball in a few years. I like Chambers but the wins are not there yet. 1) Recruiting 2) Coaching 3) wins will all help get the boosters.

I'd like to add to that.....

C) cbb is unique because the top teams don't need to rely on booster support. If you have a good coach you have a good program regardless of your facilities. The operating cost of bb is non existent compared to other sports.

But yeah you pretty much hit the nail on the head in explaining what I'm trying to say. Your 100 mill booster doesn't come around often in college sports. The only reason people donate that much money is for business reasons. The Oregon Nike guy probably gets $10 back for every $1 he puts into that program in Nike sales & name/personal branding. Plus he revolutionized the way we look at jerseys now. PSU hockey is all that stood in the way of the most iconic conference adding hockey. Plus he's doing it to a school with a large fanbase right in his backyard. Not only that but hockey arena's unlike bb/football stadiums can be easily doubled into local community centers. What this dude is gonna get promoting his sport & name will make every penny he spends on PSU worth it 10x in return

Now just to be clear: this isn't about turning PSU into a powerhouse. This is about finally giving PSU the support an average BCS school deserves. But if PSU wants to turn competitive they need to make changes right now because they have a rapidly closing window with the football sanctions, the b10 being considered the best bb conference and RU and MD joining they have a great opportunity that will never come again.

What they need to do is

1) poach a proven coach from another school and give him decent salary
This will show that PSU is willing to commit resources to its bb program. New coach at a new school with no basketball history generates lots of hype. "is this the start of a PSU Powerhouse" will be the espn headlines. Plus with the salary a lotta hype will be generated towards how good the coach is. A good new coach does wonders for recruiting and even if the coach turns out to be terrible the hire alone would still forward the program

2) play games in Philly, Baltimore & NYC
These are the best recruiting grounds. Having the new b10 schools join will be a big help, but not enough. Scheduling neutral site ooc games here. Or playing in tourneys in those cities will do wonders. Playing games vs sju or nova would be nice.

3) don't play Pitt
Playing in that city does nothing for PSU recruiting wise and only re establishes that PSU is the fb school and Pitt is the bb school

Last edited by a moderator:

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dali,

How would you fix the basketball team then? You say they will always blow but how would you try to fix the problem?