• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Five (5) AFC Challengers

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's at the point in the off-season where football is on the back burner with the flame turned to low. Nothing much will happen until late July when teams start to pad up and contact begins.

I'm starting this thread to get everyone to start thinking about who they really think might be challengers to the New England Patriots in 2017-2018.

Right now......................S-T-O-P ! ! ! ! ! ! This is not a defend yourself against every Patriot Hater thread.
So if you hate the Patriots, don't start a rolling ball of shit. Don't get pissed off if your favorite team is left off someone or everyone's list. Just include them on yours.

I'll start with my 5...................

#5 Houston Texans. They have the defense in place. They've decided to go All-In with Dashon Watson. If Bill O'Brien can get Watson to play in the NFL anywhere near the way he played at Clemson, the Texans might have the pieces.

#4 Indianapolis Colts. Andrew luck is coming into his prime. The management has started making moves to keep the team as much in tact as possible while making free agent and draft moves that fit the team and will not force the team to fit the players.

#3 Miami Dolphins. There are a bunch of "ifs" but this team made the playoffs in 2016 and is pushing hard to keep up with the Patriots in the AFC East. They're young and tough. The "ifs" are pretty much the same as the last few years. If Tannehill can stay healthy. If the O-Line can play together. If Suh can play with the defense and not mentally desert the team.

#2 Oakland Raiders. They were a high speed rail system in 2016 until Derek Carr got hurt and the wheels fell off the train. They hardly lost anyone and added a couple of pieces. Not 100% sold on Marshaun Lynch as a 25-30 carries a game RB, but one never knows.

#1 Tennessee Titans. They've got the neucleus and a QB. They were really starting to gel at the end of last year. They've made some good additions. Everything appears to be in place for them to take a big step forward, win their division and possibly make some noise.

Teams that I considered but fell just outside....

Denver Broncos. They have a good defense. Did they improve the run defense enough to stop a legit running offense? Can they solve the QB problem? In my opinion, 2016 was an off year and Elway is trying to fit everything together to get the Broncos back into the playoff picture. The AFC West will be a bloodbath this year. Not sure about Vance Joseph as HC.

Pittsburgh Steelers. Big Ben gave retirement serious consideration and got talked out of it. Giving retirement that much consideration means that he's not 100% committed to football. He'll be looking to not get seriously hurt before he calls it quits after 2017. That alone is enough to drop the Steelers out of the playoffs.

Baltimore Ravens. Flacco may be near the end of his run. The running game is pretty good , but the Ravens are looking at every one elses' castoffs. Maclin and now Eric Decker. Not the most productive guys in 2016 and the Ravens think they can resurrect past performance. The defense is getting older and just a bit slower.

That's my take. Not meant to insult anyone or hurt anyone's feelings. The Patriots won Super Bowl 51 and the only players they lost were Blount (replaced by Burkhead and Gillislee), Logan Ryan (Replaced by Gilmore), M. Bennett ((Replaced by D. Allen) and several minor role players. They get back the best TE in football with R. Gronkowski and have added a downfield speedster in Brandin Cooks. They are the favorite to repeat again this year.

Everyone says...."If they stay healthy." Well, that has to be said for every team in the NFL, so I discount everything and consider everyone on the same starting point.

Who are your top 5 challengers???

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#5 Fumbles
#4 Interceptions
#3 Dropped Passes
#2 Run Defense
#1 Injuries

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5, 4 & 1 are in the same division... It's unlikely they can't all challenge... I'd drop one to the "considered" list and elevate one of the considered, Denver or Pittsburgh, up to the top 5...

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the same teams that were in the playoffs last yr, will be in it again this yr and I expect the same results. Then again and injury could change things up. Sure other teams got better, but so didn't NE, and it some key areas. They added a burner, stud WR. A stud CB to go with a stud CB and we have a backup CB who could start on almost any other team in the league. Ealy could absolutely dominate and I expect him too under BB an Matty P. We kept HT, Harmon. Added two RB that could do some damage and the OL is back and seems better....and Oh yeah we have 2 QB's who have won a game in the NFL backing up a 5x SB champ.....NOW....LETS GO GET A GOD DAMN SNACK!!!

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the same teams that were in the playoffs last yr, will be in it again this yr and I expect the same results. Then again and injury could change things up. Sure other teams got better, but so didn't NE, and it some key areas. They added a burner, stud WR. A stud CB to go with a stud CB and we have a backup CB who could start on almost any other team in the league. Ealy could absolutely dominate and I expect him too under BB an Matty P. We kept HT, Harmon. Added two RB that could do some damage and the OL is back and seems better....and Oh yeah we have 2 QB's who have won a game in the NFL backing up a 5x SB champ.....NOW....LETS GO GET A GOD DAMN SNACK!!!
It's at the point in the off-season where football is on the back burner with the flame turned to low. Nothing much will happen until late July when teams start to pad up and contact begins.

I'm starting this thread to get everyone to start thinking about who they really think might be challengers to the New England Patriots in 2017-2018.

Right now......................S-T-O-P ! ! ! ! ! ! This is not a defend yourself against every Patriot Hater thread.
So if you hate the Patriots, don't start a rolling ball of shit. Don't get pissed off if your favorite team is left off someone or everyone's list. Just include them on yours.

I'll start with my 5...................

#5 Houston Texans. They have the defense in place. They've decided to go All-In with Dashon Watson. If Bill O'Brien can get Watson to play in the NFL anywhere near the way he played at Clemson, the Texans might have the pieces.

#4 Indianapolis Colts. Andrew luck is coming into his prime. The management has started making moves to keep the team as much in tact as possible while making free agent and draft moves that fit the team and will not force the team to fit the players.

#3 Miami Dolphins. There are a bunch of "ifs" but this team made the playoffs in 2016 and is pushing hard to keep up with the Patriots in the AFC East. They're young and tough. The "ifs" are pretty much the same as the last few years. If Tannehill can stay healthy. If the O-Line can play together. If Suh can play with the defense and not mentally desert the team.

#2 Oakland Raiders. They were a high speed rail system in 2016 until Derek Carr got hurt and the wheels fell off the train. They hardly lost anyone and added a couple of pieces. Not 100% sold on Marshaun Lynch as a 25-30 carries a game RB, but one never knows.

#1 Tennessee Titans. They've got the neucleus and a QB. They were really starting to gel at the end of last year. They've made some good additions. Everything appears to be in place for them to take a big step forward, win their division and possibly make some noise.

Teams that I considered but fell just outside....

Denver Broncos. They have a good defense. Did they improve the run defense enough to stop a legit running offense? Can they solve the QB problem? In my opinion, 2016 was an off year and Elway is trying to fit everything together to get the Broncos back into the playoff picture. The AFC West will be a bloodbath this year. Not sure about Vance Joseph as HC.

Pittsburgh Steelers. Big Ben gave retirement serious consideration and got talked out of it. Giving retirement that much consideration means that he's not 100% committed to football. He'll be looking to not get seriously hurt before he calls it quits after 2017. That alone is enough to drop the Steelers out of the playoffs.

Baltimore Ravens. Flacco may be near the end of his run. The running game is pretty good , but the Ravens are looking at every one elses' castoffs. Maclin and now Eric Decker. Not the most productive guys in 2016 and the Ravens think they can resurrect past performance. The defense is getting older and just a bit slower.

That's my take. Not meant to insult anyone or hurt anyone's feelings. The Patriots won Super Bowl 51 and the only players they lost were Blount (replaced by Burkhead and Gillislee), Logan Ryan (Replaced by Gilmore), M. Bennett ((Replaced by D. Allen) and several minor role players. They get back the best TE in football with R. Gronkowski and have added a downfield speedster in Brandin Cooks. They are the favorite to repeat again this year.

Everyone says...."If they stay healthy." Well, that has to be said for every team in the NFL, so I discount everything and consider everyone on the same starting point.

Who are your top 5 challengers???
I like your list but I'm taking Indy out and replacing them with Pitt. Luck still isn't throwing. There is a lot of time but the longer he goes without throwing the more chance for that shoulder to atrify (sp)

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#3 is winning the Super Bowl.

Disclaimer : I've said this since Marino was the QB, don't take it too serious.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titans are trying to set up Mariota for success. They signed Eric Decker to a one year contract yesterday. I had to laugh when some idiot said that decker wasn't the same ""Slot"" receiver he was in Denver. Decker is 6'3-1/2" and was never a slot receiver. The guy was fast and tough and wasn't afraid to go across the middle of the field.
When he lined up in what we call the slot, no one put a line backer on him because he was heading straight up field at full tilt.

He certainly has paid for his bravado and he may not be the same guy he was in Denver, but he hasn't had a decent QB for the past few years and playing in Tenn. just might be a good thing for the end of his career.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titans are trying to set up Mariota for success. They signed Eric Decker to a one year contract yesterday. I had to laugh when some idiot said that decker wasn't the same ""Slot"" receiver he was in Denver. Decker is 6'3-1/2" and was never a slot receiver. The guy was fast and tough and wasn't afraid to go across the middle of the field.
When he lined up in what we call the slot, no one put a line backer on him because he was heading straight up field at full tilt.

He certainly has paid for his bravado and he may not be the same guy he was in Denver, but he hasn't had a decent QB for the past few years and playing in Tenn. just might be a good thing for the end of his career.

Very good signing for the Titans. Decker yeah has had some injuries in NY but even with those he has still been a touchdown machine. That is where he did his most damage for the Broncos is in the Red Zone. He can be eliminated though if you play press-man coverage against him. Not a great WR at getting off the line. Still with this kind of signing I am almost willing to move Tennessee to the #2 spot in the AFC behind the Patriots. They have the offense to really counter the Patriots and keep Tom Brady on the sideline. I don't think they have the defense to stop the Patriots and all of their weapons though.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good signing for the Titans. Decker yeah has had some injuries in NY but even with those he has still been a touchdown machine. That is where he did his most damage for the Broncos is in the Red Zone. He can be eliminated though if you play press-man coverage against him. Not a great WR at getting off the line. Still with this kind of signing I am almost willing to move Tennessee to the #2 spot in the AFC behind the Patriots. They have the offense to really counter the Patriots and keep Tom Brady on the sideline. I don't think they have the defense to stop the Patriots and all of their weapons though.

Agree, Tenn could make some noise and made the AFC more competitive. I still like NE secondary than most in the league. MB, Gill, Rowe would do just fine vs anyone in the league and if both Jones's are getting better like most say, then we should be good. The thing with Tenn is can they stay healthy? Gotta admit, I like that teams are getting better.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if these are the 5 that will make the playoffs, but right now these are the ones I think would have the best shot of knocking out the Pats in a win-or-go-home game

1) Steelers - Ben is still the best QB in the conference after Tom, he has incredible weapons at his disposal, and the defense is on the way up again.

2) Raiders - Carr and Cooper are legit and Mack is one of the three best defensive players in the conference. If Lynch is still Lynch, they're going to be trouble. OTOH if Carr gets hurt again, they're not even a playoff team.

3) Broncos - The QB situation is still a huge question mark, but that D has already won them one SB with suspect QB play in an era when that's not supposed to happen any more.

4) Titans - I can't put them higher until Mariota finishes a season, but on paper they're the second-most talented roster top-to-bottom in the conference.

5) Ravens - If Regular Season Flacco can get them to the playoffs, Playoff Flacco can win games for them. They've given him some more weapons and the D is still solid (losing Orr hurts, though). And Harbaugh is probably the 2nd-best HC in the conference.

Dark Horse - Chargers. Rivers is still a fine QB, they've got Keenan Allen insurance with Mike Williams, Bosa and Ingram are going to cause a lot of havoc in Bradley's D, and I think Anthony Lynn is going to be an excellent HC, And maybe the relocation issues will bond them together into a stronger team than they appear to be on paper. If Okung can stay healthy, I think they can make a run.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if these are the 5 that will make the playoffs, but right now these are the ones I think would have the best shot of knocking out the Pats in a win-or-go-home game

1) Steelers - Ben is still the best QB in the conference after Tom, he has incredible weapons at his disposal, and the defense is on the way up again.

2) Raiders - Carr and Cooper are legit and Mack is one of the three best defensive players in the conference. If Lynch is still Lynch, they're going to be trouble. OTOH if Carr gets hurt again, they're not even a playoff team.

3) Broncos - The QB situation is still a huge question mark, but that D has already won them one SB with suspect QB play in an era when that's not supposed to happen any more.

4) Titans - I can't put them higher until Mariota finishes a season, but on paper they're the second-most talented roster top-to-bottom in the conference.

5) Ravens - If Regular Season Flacco can get them to the playoffs, Playoff Flacco can win games for them. They've given him some more weapons and the D is still solid (losing Orr hurts, though). And Harbaugh is probably the 2nd-best HC in the conference.

Dark Horse - Chargers. Rivers is still a fine QB, they've got Keenan Allen insurance with Mike Williams, Bosa and Ingram are going to cause a lot of havoc in Bradley's D, and I think Anthony Lynn is going to be an excellent HC, And maybe the relocation issues will bond them together into a stronger team than they appear to be on paper. If Okung can stay healthy, I think they can make a run.

Probably the best list I have seen so far. It does seem that the young QB's in the NFL have struggled with some injury issues that keep them from really showing they are here to stay. Carr has had a sprained MCL, dislocated pinky, and of course now his broken leg to end this past season. Big Ben isn't a young QB but of course can always expect him to miss a few games a year because of injury, and then I agree Mariota has to prove he can last an entire season before anybody can really move the Titans up too high.

Something else with the Titans is are they a team that has figured out how to win? They have the talent but that is only part of the equation. The Patriots are a great example of sometimes being better than what the talent might suggest because of superior coaching and just a winning organization that demands results.

Steelers I need to see this new Man Coverage defense they talked about needing to add before I really get too interested in their chances of beating the Patriots. Offensively they are one of the few that can match blow for blow with the Patriots if everybody stays healthy which is a big if. Defensively though Patriots outclass them big time.

Broncos honestly I'm more worried about the OL than I am the QB. 3 new starters plus a switch from ZBS to PBS and good chance a rookie is playing LT for them week 1. That unit really could make or break the entire team.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders
Steelers
Ravens
Titans
Dolphins...Just because it's a division rival.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some teams that you just have to feel bad about. Others that you don't care and finally those that you hope never see the Super Bowl again.

Below is a list of teams that haven't been to the Super Bowl for the past 20 years. Any of these you'd like to play in the AFC Championship game or the Super Bowl??

Super Bowl droughts of at least 20 seasons

(Team, length of drought, last Super Bowl appearance)
  • Lions (51 seasons, have never played in the Super Bowl)
  • Browns (51 seasons, have never played in the Super Bowl)
  • Jets (48 seasons, Super Bowl III)
  • Chiefs (47 seasons, Super Bowl IV)
  • Vikings (40 seasons, Super Bowl XI)
  • Dolphins (32 seasons, Super Bowl XIX)
  • Bengals (28 seasons, Super Bowl XXIII)
  • Redskins (25 seasons, Super Bowl XXVI)
  • Bills (22 seasons, Super Bowl XXVIII)
  • Jaguars (22 seasons, have never played in the Super Bowl)
  • Chargers (22 seasons, Super Bowl XXIX)
  • Cowboys (21 seasons, Super Bowl XXX)

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's weird looking at that list with a dog in the fight. Back before the 00's there were several teams here I could root for after the pats were eliminated. Team 1 would be the Lions, but it's not the same rooting for a team to then turn on them and want the Pats to crush them.

1) I would not like to see the Jets. Anytime they win 2 games in a row early in the season their fan base suddenly thinks they're the dominating team in the division/conference/league (and always has been like 1970 to 2017 never existed).

2) I would not like to see the Cowboys because so many think they are still "America's Team" when they never really were.

3) No for the Redskins - Just get rid of that name and figure out you'd make a boat load from new mechandise AND not look like you made the move to be greedy.

For favorites---

1) Lions - There's something likeable about Stafford and the fanbase deserves something

2) Cleveland - Same for the fanbase and wow what a worst to first story that would be

3) Jaguars - I just can't picture annoying Jaguar fans

4) Bills - Sufffered enough from the curse of the Juice

6,7,8) Chiefs, Vikings Dolphins - The return of 70's powerhouses that always have been near the fringes but never quite really good

9) Chargers - New location would make it interesting and I guess I can't let go of the whiney "Act like you've been there before"

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders
Steelers
Ravens
Titans
Dolphins...Just because it's a division rival.

Ravens have no receivers and no tight ends.
Is "Jump Ball Joe" going to hand off every play?

"All off-season myself and every other writer for the Baltimore Beatdown furiously wrote about the Ravens poor WR group."

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately we are talking which teams can bring an elite defense and/or a franchise QB to the table when the playoffs hit.

Pats had the best defense in the AFC, Broncos had the best pass defense, Ravens had the best run defense. I think if I'm the Patriots, those are the two teams I'm watching the most. An offensive team (Raiders, Chargers, Colts, Bengals) could show up like the Falcons did last year but you also have the issue of the Patriots being a die hard team and that at some point the opposing D needs to make a stop.

If I was making a list it would probably be:

1. Ravens
2. Broncos
3. Steelers (arguably one of the most talented rosters if it stays healthy)
4. Titans (trending upwards in an easy division)
5. Chiefs (big play potential)

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this order:
1. Oak
2. KC
3. Pit
4. Den
5. Ten

Outside shot Houston now that the have about 10 former NE players and or coaches. If they can figure out that QB situation they could be contenders.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this order:
1. Oak
2. KC
3. Pit
4. Den
5. Ten

Outside shot Houston now that the have about 10 former NE players and or coaches. If they can figure out that QB situation they could be contenders.

If JJ Watt is what he was before injury man that defense looked stacked for Houston and could carry that mediocre/bad offense.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If JJ Watt is what he was before injury man that defense looked stacked for Houston and could carry that mediocre/bad offense.
Well all these predictions are based on what is perceived as the players normal level of play I would have to say. We have to take it at face value (on paper)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well all these predictions are based on what is perceived as the players normal level of play I would have to say. We have to take it at face value (on paper)

Houston is kind of like Denver this year of if they can get any kind of production out of the offense and especially the QB then they should be a huge contender but with the most important position such an unknown hard to really predict how they finish.