• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First depth chart released.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Sunday, a day after the club's Summer Scrimmage, the Broncos released the first official depth chart of the preseason.

The team plays its first preseason game Thursday at San Francisco. Of note in this initial depth chart is just one rookie is currently within the top two players at his position on defense -- defensive tackle Sylvester Williams. On offense, five rookies or first-year players made the two-deep, including 2013 draft picks Montee Ball, Tavarres King and Vinston Painter. No rookies are currently slated as starters on either side of the ball.

The full depth chart can be seen here.

Read independent analyst Andrew Mason's thoughts on the depth chart here.
Below is a rundown of the current starters and their backups on the first preseason depth chart.

Quarterback: Peyton Manning; Brock Osweiler
Running Back: Ronnie Hillman; Montee Ball
Wide Receivers: Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker and Wes Welker; Andre Caldwell, Tavarres King and Quincy McDuffie
Tight End: Joel Dreessen; Jacob Tamme
Offensive Line: Ryan Clady, Zane Beadles, Manny Ramirez, Louis Vasquez and Orlando Franklin; Chris Clark, Quentin Saulsberry, C.J. Davis, Philip Blake and Vinston Painter

Defensive Line: Derek Wolfe, Kevin Vickerson, Terrance Knighton and Robert Ayers; Malik Jackson, Mitch Unrein, Sylvester Williams and Shaun Phillips
Linebackers: Von Miller, Nate Irving and Wesley Woodyard; Shaun Phillips, Stewart Bradleyand Danny Trevathan
Cornerbacks: Champ Bailey and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie; Tony Carter and Chris Harris
Safeties: Mike Adams and Rahim Moore; Duke Ihenacho and David Bruton
Kicker: Matt Prater
Punter: Britton Colquitt; Ryan Doerr
Long Snapper: Aaron Brewer
Punt Returner: Trindon Holliday; Wes Welker
Kick Returner: Trindon Holliday; Quincy McDuffie

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not too many surprises. Mike Adams is definitely in a battle for that starting spot as is Ramirez. The other spots my guess is that is what it will look like week 1. I was a little surprised that Julius Thomas hadn't passed Tamme on the depth chart but usually the veterans get the nod for the first depth chart.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially with Fox. I think he prefers vets and people familiar with the scheme than guys that are showing great potential. Duke Ihenacho has been lighting it up in camp.

I bet J. Thomas and Duke taking starting roles by the time the season starts.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially with Fox. I think he prefers vets and people familiar with the scheme than guys that are showing great potential. Duke Ihenacho has been lighting it up in camp.

I bet J. Thomas and Duke taking starting roles by the time the season starts.

I can definitely see Duke taking a starting role as he did get the nod during the Summer Scrimmage and my guess is that will keep happening.

J. Thomas I see more as a situational guy this year. He will get plenty of snaps but Dreessen is the best all-around TE that the Broncos have right now and his blocking skills are what will get him I would bet a majority of the TE snaps. I see Thomas more as a Red Zone guy that comes in to add another weapon for Peyton to throw to when we need a Touchdown. He will get plenty of snaps don't get me wrong I just think Dreessen will still get the nod at this time to be the starter.

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read Hillman gained 20 lbs.

He'll need it along with some desire to actually pass block this year. As an SDSU alum, I'm a huge fan of his. However, without the ability to pass block he will never play much.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read Hillman gained 20 lbs.

He'll need it along with some desire to actually pass block this year. As an SDSU alum, I'm a huge fan of his. However, without the ability to pass block he will never play much.

He put on I think 15 pounds and has been the best pass blocking running back in training camp. Guess we shall see soon with preseason if he actually improved

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He put on I think 15 pounds and has been the best pass blocking running back in training camp. Guess we shall see soon with preseason if he actually improved
Nice! Thanks for the update.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pre-season depth chart will be rather fluid as they get a look at a lot of different players.

But don't put too much stock in where players are right now as an indication they will be the starters.

Things could change quickly over the next 3 weeks.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is up with this nonsense? Seems like an automated post if you have not posted in a while. Childish.

Hello Morpheus. It appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Is your team really that bad? Throw your two-cents in the discussion.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is rather odd..... where did this appear?

And I agree that the initial depth chart is maybe worth the paper it's printed on, and that's about it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I agree that the initial depth chart is maybe worth the paper it's printed on, and that's about it.

Although I do think it is a myth that many new starters emerge from what the first depth chart actually is. Last year I think only 2 new starters emerged after the first depth chart came out. My guess depending on injuries is it will be pretty similar this year. Only guys I can see making a move would be Lilja for Ramirez, Julius Thomas over Dreessen (this is mostly based off of the fact Dreessen just had surgery and will be eased back into the lineup), and Ihenacho over Adams. Most of the rest of the starting roster should be pretty set unless there are some more injuries.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think broncos just signing te deangelo peterson just strengthens your thoughts on julius thomas

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At the top of the list of posts. Probably because I had not logged in in a while because there was really not much to talk about.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can definitely see the extra pounds on him in his upper body. I know it was only one preseason game, but it doesn't look like he's lost any of that quickness either. I can honestly see him pushing 1000 yards this year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can definitely see the extra pounds on him in his upper body. I know it was only one preseason game, but it doesn't look like he's lost any of that quickness either. I can honestly see him pushing 1000 yards this year.

My bold prediction for the year is that Ronnie Hillman goes for 1,200 all purpose yards this year for this offense. The guy from all accounts in practice has been breaking off big play after big play.