• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Finally manning to retire monday

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per everywhere now

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good decision...I know this can't be easy for the guy as the mind is willing but unfortunately the body just doesn't have it anymore. Enjoy retirement and very interested to see what is next for him.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured as much. He joins a small fraternity of QB's who can say they won their final game, and an even smaller group who can say that game was a Super Bowl. Bravo to the guy! That can't have been an easy decision to make.

And to think..... He decided quicker than Elway by a month and a half:nod:

Now if he could agree to lead our scouting department........

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boh - if Manning headed the scouting department Denver area liquor sales would crater - even with Manning picking up daily 12 packs of Bud Light.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't of asked for better ending and a amazing career The man was benched,written off and comes back and helps Denver win such an iconic SB......number 50! Damn it's GREAT to be a Broncos fan! Thanks Peyton for what you did for Denver and the game of football. Going to miss you and so will everyone else.....except Knight.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the memories PM.

gatsby-cheers-leonardo-dicaprio-drink-fireworks.gif

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome news! It's awesome that such a great player and class act will retire from the game with his last game a Super Bowl win. More specifically it's awesome that his last snap as an NFL player came in a Broncos uniform in the closing moments of a Super Bowl win. Manning was not just a rental. He wasn't just a hired gun for the Broncos. He is now a solidified piece of Broncos legacy.

Thank you, Peyton and best wishes to you going forward! Go Broncos!

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only option he had. 39 years old and one of the worst QBs in the league. A legend, no doubt. But his skills have diminished too much for him to be a starting caliber QB. Would've been embarrassing seeing him struggle with the Rams or some other team.

Good to see him go out on top buy winning a SB for the Broncos.

Thanks, Peyt.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way to go Peyton, hellava career and what better way to finish it than with a win in the big game with the best organization in the NFL . .

But keep that phone on because Jerry Jones will be calling you in late October when Romo gets hurt again

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one was just glad we did not have to play against him during that time .. God he use kill us ..

I bet all of our AFCW rivals are little more chipper today ..

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing with Peyton

Good stories from competitors. Found it interesting that LT almost became a Bronco in 2012 to play with PM.

Good read. Thanks for posting. I particularly enjoyed this part of what Mariucci had to say:

"I've coached against a lot of great quarterbacks. By great, I'm talking Warren Moon, Troy Aikman, Tom Brady, John Elway, Brett Favre, and the list goes on. ... But Peyton was the master of the chess game.

When he came into the NFL, he brought the league back to its early days, when quarterbacks called their own plays. Players like Terry Bradshaw, Bob Griese and Johnny Unitas all did it -- mainly because, during their days, there were fewer coaches, less volume in the playbook, less variety of defensive schemes -- but nonetheless, it was a lot to put on the quarterback. But when the game became more specialized with more plays, coaches decided to take back that responsibility, and I think the players liked that.

When I coached Steve Young, I gave him an option of two plays on third-and-7. He turned to me and said, "Just call a play." Some guys just want to be told what to do, and if they have to check three times a game, they'll do it. With Peyton, that wasn't the case."

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"He loved the meetings. He loved practice. Peyton was always trying to find an edge," said Hall of Fame tight end Shannon Sharpe, who received a middle-of-the-night text from Manning. "You think everyone can do that. That's a gift. There was only one (Albert) Einstein. There will never be another quarterback like Peyton."

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still remember driving home from my girlfriend's one night in 1998 just before the draft, listening to WFAN in NYC .. And the debate all night was :

Who was going to be a better pro - Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf

That car ride seems like just last week ... It is emotional for me to go back to that time - even that car ride - because of how things were so different in '98 - the girl I was dating, my Dad and Sis were still here, the friends I still had , etc

So for a player of Peyton Manning caliber, with all the things he has experienced in football ... This must be a huge emotional upheaval ..

Even with all the accomplishments and all the records and victories, the "turning of the page" aspect must be a monumental transition ...

I hope he stays in football in some capacity

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still remember sitting at my desk hearing that Manning had instructed his agent to open negotiations with Denver . This was about 9:30 am. I took the rest of the day off. Could not believe it. Paaarty.

What a great 4 years. 2 Super Bowls , 1 victory and complete domination of the AFCW.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still remember driving home from my girlfriend's one night in 1998 just before the draft, listening to WFAN in NYC .. And the debate all night was :

Who was going to be a better pro - Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf

That car ride seems like just last week ... It is emotional for me to go back to that time - even that car ride - because of how things were so different in '98 - the girl I was dating, my Dad and Sis were still here, the friends I still had , etc

So for a player of Peyton Manning caliber, with all the things he has experienced in football ... This must be a huge emotional upheaval ..

Even with all the accomplishments and all the records and victories, the "turning of the page" aspect must be a monumental transition ...

I hope he stays in football in some capacity

Can I say how proud I am of you Lucas?! It's no secret you haven't been PM's biggest fan, ;) , but you have been all class.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still remember sitting at my desk hearing that Manning had instructed his agent to open negotiations with Denver . This was about 9:30 am. I took the rest of the day off. Could not believe it. Paaarty.

What a great 4 years. 2 Super Bowls , 1 victory and complete domination of the AFCW.
I was driving home from the gym when I heard the announcement on the radio. Like you, I stayed tuned in all day to different sports shows. That was an exciting day for sure! (And sure helped you sell the few game tickets that you didn't go to!)