• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Feliz had the chance of a lifetime...and didn't take it

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its been a week since the worst baseball game in Rangers history. It was gut-wrenching, soul-tormenting, and completely life draining and for the rest of my days on this Earth, I won't experience any sports moment that will compare in its devastation and emptiness. Having said that, some disturbing info has crept out of that dreaded game 6, which I am tryiing my best to understand:

The story behind Neftali Feliz not going back into the game in the bottom of the 10th inning with a 9-7 lead.

As down and depressed as he apparently was from his 9th inning appearance, the moment Josh cleared the fences with a shot that Roy Hobbs would envy, any closer worth his salt would have been jumping to go back out there and finish it right this time. The baseball gods, and according to JH , God himself, gave Feliz the chance of a lifetime. He didn't have to wait until next season, or even a possible game 7, he had his shot at redemption right then, right now. A chance to erase all the ugliness and bitter taste left in his mouth from a 9th inning where walks and poor defense killed his cause. A chance to get back on the mound, face 2 weak hitting lefties and a pinch hitting pitcher no less, not one of which would be able to catch up to his heat, and go out in style with a World Series championship win. But, according to Wash and many others in the dugout, he was spent, devastated, catatonic even, and speaking to and looking at no one.

Wash should have grabbed his face, slapped each side of it, given him the Derek Holland pep talk, told him to look at his teammate playing on one leg with offseason surgery looming that just gave you a 2 run lead, and told him to get his rear back out there and go win the World Series. Who wouldn't want an instantaneous shot at redemption after feeling you have blown the World Series for your team? Neftali Feliz I guess. The second Josh's rocket cleared the fence you would think he'd be clamoring to get back out there. His mood should have gone from despair to ecstacy that quick.

Instead, because our closer was in a mental coma, Wash turns to a 41 year old soft-tossing lefty...and the rest is history.

Feliz hadn't blown a save his entire postseason career. What are the odds he blows 2 in one game? It would not have happened. Of all the crazy things that happened that night, this one is the most bizarre to me.

We all crave moments of redemption in our own lives when things go awry because of something we did or did not do. Feliz had this chance. Nothing to save him for. He's your closer. He failed in the 9th, go succeed in the 10th. He was the Rangers best option in the 10th to close it out once again. I'll never understand why he wasn't in there. Never.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was hoping that Mike Gonzalez would have gotten that Opportunity. he had been a Closer in Baltimore before. But its true Feliz really had a opportunity to redeem himself and He didn't take it. Will see how this affects him going forward next year. Still behind Feliz but when He has a bad outing next year the fans might get on him more. Don't want that to happen. Feliz is one of the guys who got the Rangers to the Series. But He needs better control.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you sir. You must be an expert at stating the blatantly obvious.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaar I have no respect for your opinions, at all. Feliz is just a kid. He isn't a 35 year old man who has been through the wars. The fact that the Rangers use him as a closer at his age is quite remarkable and just a little bit disturbing. The fact that he has excelled at it is a tribute to how amazing the guy really is.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ginger, 23 year old aren't kids. They're young men. They are also crazy enough to be able to see a moment of redemption and jump at it like their hair is on fire. Having closed baseball games for 2 years in the big leagues, sure he was a little light on the big game moments which tend to produce maturity. But that's just it: He's too young to know any better. Which is why when Josh hit the homerun I would have expected him to be busting with adrenaline to get back out there and close it out. Plus, the '27 Yankees weren't coming up in the bottom of the 10th. 2 light hitting lefties and a pitcher for pete's sake. He would have mowed them down.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ginger, 23 year old aren't kids. They're young men. They are also crazy enough to be able to see a moment of redemption and jump at it like their hair is on fire. Having closed baseball games for 2 years in the big leagues, sure he was a little light on the big game moments which tend to produce maturity. But that's just it: He's too young to know any better. Which is why when Josh hit the homerun I would have expected him to be busting with adrenaline to get back out there and close it out. Plus, the '27 Yankees weren't coming up in the bottom of the 10th. 2 light hitting lefties and a pitcher for pete's sake. He would have mowed them down.

Based on how things had played out to that point he would have probably walked one or both of them.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No Jaar. Most of the time a 23 year old is still pretty much a kid. They are maturing into adults, but a 23 year old is still a kid.