• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fear the Walking Dead

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to determine right now, who the writers want you to loathe and who they want you to root for?

TWD seemed to differentiate quicker. I disliked Lori and Andrea almost immediately. I'm struggling to like any of em at this point...maybe it's cuz they are still oblivious and so you know it'll just be cheesy horror cliches for the first season? I wanna love it.:noidea:

I feel the same way. I'm kinda liking the wife now, mainly because everyone else around her except maybe the barber are so bleh. Having a little sympathy for her. I know Johnny Depp Jr. is gonna be one those redemption characters, but I just wanna punch him in the face.

How much you wanna bet Mr. You-know-how-I-feel-about-guns undergoes the Rick Grimes transformation? I kinda hope so...either that or he becomes the first "surprise" entree on the menu.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finding his truck unscathed was a bit of a stretch, considering the one right next to it was engulfed in flames.

The biological son will somehow be beloved at some point, only because he is over-the-top annoying right now.

Like Better Call Saul, I will give it a chance to pick up the friggin pace.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prediction: this guy...

fear-the-walking-dead-episode-101-travis-curtis-1-classroom-935.jpg

Becomes this guy.

th?id=JN.L7TcBURpwjhYKpZazgCmlg&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300.jpg

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a huge fan of the pacing... On its own.

But we all have a good idea where it is going, so I am ok with the pacing in that context. They are establishing the characters in their pre-ZA mentalities so when they become the Rick Grimes' and the Carol Peltier's of the new world, the transformations will be that much more powerful. Re-watching these episodes after S4 will be quite entertaining, I suspect.

Remember, in the original series, we met everyone after the world had already gone to shit, and the bulk of their internal transformations had already occurred.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now he seems like he's aiming to be this guy... without the hat.

View attachment 29385
"This guy" was a damned stud.

He lost his wife in the first few days of the apocalypse, so a few days later, he picks up two young sisters hitch-hiking and gets into a 3-way relationship with them.

Dude was a fucking MAN!

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But we all have a good idea where it is going, so I am ok with the pacing in that context. They are establishing the characters in their pre-ZA mentalities so when they become the Rick Grimes' and the Carol Peltier's of the new world, the transformations will be that much more powerful. Re-watching these episodes after S4 will be quite entertaining, I suspect.

Remember, in the original series, we met everyone after the world had already gone to shit, and the bulk of their internal transformations had already occurred.

Agreed, the reason why no one is particularly likable/unlikable is because they are all still in a relatively normal state of mind.

I'm interested to see more of how the military operates after the initial outbreak, that's a plus. We got to see some horrific stuff when Shane went to "rescue" Rick in the hospital.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He lost his wife in the first few days of the apocalypse, so a few days later, he picks up two young sisters hitch-hiking and gets into a 3-way relationship with them.

Dude was a fucking MAN!

Yeah, every once in awhile that Alan Alda "sensitive" shit still works.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude was a fucking MAN!

Well, the guy in this series does have two women in his life... and both have more balls than he does so it still a fair comparison. :2cents:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the guy in this series does have two women in his life... and both have more balls than he does so it still a fair comparison. :2cents:

:lol:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, the reason why no one is particularly likable/unlikable is because they are all still in a relatively normal state of mind.

I'm interested to see more of how the military operates after the initial outbreak, that's a plus. We got to see some horrific stuff when Shane went to "rescue" Rick in the hospital.

I'm witcha on the military stuff. Things definitely started picking up towards the end. Forgot to mention this before, but I kinda liked the "good morning, Susan" bit even thought it didn't seem to fit the guy's character at that point.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't mind the pace. I just don't find any of the characters interesting. Like someone else said. I am just trying to find someone to like. So right now the closest person for me to (try &) like is the mother (the 1st one)

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to determine right now, who the writers want you to loathe and who they want you to root for?

TWD seemed to differentiate quicker. I disliked Lori and Andrea almost immediately. I'm struggling to like any of em at this point...maybe it's cuz they are still oblivious and so you know it'll just be cheesy horror cliches for the first season? I wanna love it.:noidea:

I read an article yesterday that speculated part of the problem with the show and the characters is that we know so much more than they do. I wonder if zombie movies exist in that world and if so I keep hoping someone mentions them, probably the druggie kid.

I have been fine with the pacing until the last episode. I thought the first two were really good, the last one was slow. At least everyone reunited so we don't have to see that for weeks. And I liked the military showing up at the end.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read an article yesterday that speculated part of the problem with the show and the characters is that we know so much more than they do. I wonder if zombie movies exist in that world and if so I keep hoping someone mentions them, probably the druggie kid.

I have been fine with the pacing until the last episode. I thought the first two were really good, the last one was slow. At least everyone reunited so we don't have to see that for weeks. And I liked the military showing up at the end.
Kirkman has stated that zombie-movies do NOT exist in this world. In the comics, the word "zombie" has only been used twice (I think), and both times have been acknowledged errors.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been pretty disappointed so far. The characters are hard to like. The father is big wuss. The writing isn't great. They were "fortunate" that their truck was unscathed during that riot. The mom and sister were a little too quick to follow the drug addict son as he goes next door to look for a shotgun. I'm not sure why they didn't secure their backdoor when they did leave. The old Asian dude arrives at home and it looks like he has no idea of what is going on. No sign of the military except for a couple of helicopters, but a bunch of military dudes show up just in time to kill the old Asian lady zombie. I hope it gets more likable.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not like the military angle either. It looks like they are in a neighborhood that is not right on the freeway or bordering anything important, yet their house is the first place the military "secures"? The fight with z-Susan took place behind fences, in the back yard. How did they know to all bust in at that moment?

I suspect I know where this military angle is going (I have seen it in a couple other apocalypse movies), so if they wanted to go there early, they had to work it in somehow, and I am OK with that. But I hate the lazy device of "if it isnt on screen, NOBODY sees it unless we want them to".

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't any worse than Walking Dead is with coincidences. Rick Grimes survived because someone put a hospital bed outside of his door.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't any worse than Walking Dead is with coincidences. Rick Grimes survived because someone put a hospital bed outside of his door.

Yeah seriously.

"Hey Maggie, great news! Your sister who you never seemed to think of for weeks is alive! Lets go see her!"
*arrives just in time to see her body being carried out*

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole coma thing in the first ep of TWD was cringe-worthy. How in the hell did he survive for approx 6 weeks with no food, water, meds, bed service, etc? And he was not eaten because a bed was put in front of his door?

I know one of the webisodes attempted to introduce some potential answers for this, but it was never specifically spelled out, and the fan-argued solutions were still stretches (IMHO) given what was revealed by the people living in the hospital after the initial fall.