• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fascinating Pace Adjusted Stats

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say just read through and enjoy them but there is no way we don't start flinging poo with the first post.

Some of this is lengthy but awesome:

Double Dribble | Shoving Basketball Knowledge Into Your Dome. | Page 2

LeBron James vs. Michael Jordan – A Statistical Comparison (Pace Adjusted)
May 7, 2013 by jpalumbo
In response to a quote from Pat Riley wherein he stated that LeBron James may be the best player ever, there’s been a healthy dialogue about whether or not James has a defensible argument as the G.O.A.T.

You know I need to get in on this! Revisiting our pace adjusted comparison between Kobe’s best 4 years and Jordan’s 4 most comparable seasons, I’ve broken down the numbers on LeBron as a member of the Heat vs. Jordan at the same age. The age range is 26-28. The seasons are 2011-2013 for LeBron James and 1990-1992 for Michael Jordan. The comparison is eerily apropos.

Both players were dealing with new team structures in the wake of playoff failure – Jordan with a ECF loss to the Pistons and the installation of Phil Jackson in the head coach position and the triangle offense changing his responsibilities – LeBron with a disappointing 2nd round loss to the Celtics and a change of teams to Miami. Both players lost to the eventual champs in their first season under these new circumstances, Jordan to the Pistons in 7 games and LeBron to the Mavericks in 6 games. Both players won their first championship the next season. Both players’ teams won 65+ games the third season. They both had great stats but missed out on MVPs in the first season and then won back to back season MVPs and in Jordan’s case back to back Finals MVPs (LeBron may very well accomplish the same). Both players had to adjust to sharing the spotlight with superstar teammates. Both players were statistically and by reputation and accomplishment head and shoulders above the competition of their day. So… it’s a good range to compare.

I adjusted Michael’s stats to the 2011-13 Heat pace, so that the possessions available to both players would be level and would be in keeping with today’s game. Obviously there are other factors at play in today’s game that make it different from what it was in the early 1990s, so arguments could be made that adjusting for pace is only one piece of the comparison. That said, I don’t have a crystal ball to tell me how Jordan would function on a team loaded with three point shooters or how LeBron would play with no zone defense. I don’t know if having a hand-check available would significantly help LeBron’s on-ball defense or hurt his driving game. Nor do I know what a semi-zone would do to Jordan’s ability to ball-hawk on defense and high-post on offense. Let’s stick with what we know and examine the numbers.

Pace Adjusted Per Game Stats

Jordan: 30.3 Pts, 5.7 Ast, 6.1 Rbd, 2.5 Stl, 0.9 Blk, 2.6 Tov TS% 59.7

James: 26.9 Pts, 6.9 Ast, 7.8 Rbd, 1.7 Stl, 0.8 Blk, 3.3 Tov TS% 61.3

It’s tough to evaluate which of those lines is better, isn’t it? The pace adjustment did very little to lessen MJ’s dominance. Where the Jordan vs. Kobe comparison was very close in terms of actual pace adjusted numbers, almost the same PPG, similar assists, similar TS%, Bron and MJ are strikingly different; yet they have almost exactly the same metrics, meaning they serve different team functions but have similar value.

Digging into the stats a little deeper, we see that LeBron is slightly more efficient in his scoring attempts.

Points per scoring possession:

Jordan: 1.19

James: 1.23

However, Jordan scores more points because he uses more of his team’s available possessions to try to score, and because he turns the ball over significantly less. MJ and Bron have very similar assist to turnover ratios. When we factor in attempts to create scores (FGA – 3PA + AST) to get a “plays made” estimate. Creating a plays made to turnover ratio, we show that Jordan is more efficient as an all-around points creator for his team.

Plays Made / Turnover:

Jordan: 11.4 to 1

James: 7.8 to 1

Looking at some of the factors we examined in the Jordan vs. Bryant comparison –

Total Offense (points + assists):

Jordan: 36

James: 33.8

Possessions Gained (steals + factored rebounds and blocks):

Jordan: +5.3

James: +4.9

Possessions Ended (turnovers + made shots + factored missed FGA & FTA):

Jordan: -24.7

James: -22.7

So overall Jordan ends more possessions for his team because he takes more shots, but he also gets it back a little bit more, and he creates slightly more offense. It’s very close. Jordan’s overall value by this standard is 0.6 points higher than James’s. Which wouldn’t mean much since it’s my personal creation, but it’s actually mirrored by the smart people metrics.

Advanced Per Game Stats & Metrics:

Jordan: 30.2 PER, 0.293 WS/48, ORtg 123 DRtg 103, USG% 32.8

James: 29.8 PER, 0.287 WS/48, ORtg 120 DRtg 100, USG% 31.2

That is very tight! As we saw in the pace adjusted per game figures, Jordan’s offense is higher rated, LeBron’s possession maintenance (in this case shown as DRtg) is higher rated. Interestingly the league average Rtg for 1990-92 was 3 points higher than it was for 2011-13, meaning that if you were to make a league adjustment to Jordan’s O and D ratings by shifting him to this time frame, his numbers would exactly match LeBron’s. The ORtg minus DRtg is 20 for each player. The only difference is in Usage, where Jordan has a 1.6 advantage. So using the simple estimated 100 possession Dean Oliver ORtg – DRtg + Usage calculation, Jordan creates a net +1.6 more points per hundred possessions than LeBron or about net +0.58 more points per game. Half a point.

Overall the dynamic between the two is exactly what you’d expect. James has the more varied all around game and is more turnover prone. Jordan scores more and is slightly less efficient as a shooter. The metrics are ridiculously close with MJ maintaining a small edge.

You could argue the intangibles all day, clutchness (if it exists), leadership, durability, etc. In Jordan’s favor is the fact that he won the title in year three of this comparison, and LeBron hasn’t yet, and Mike went onto win in year 4 as well. Also Michael’s teams never lost a series where they were favored (had home court advantage), and he never lost in an NBA Finals, even though twice the Bulls did not have home court.

But those sorts of arguments are circumstantial and easily shrugged off. The truth is that we’ve been looking for the heir to Jordan’s throne for 20 years, and even if he still has some things to prove, and even if the specifics will always be debated, and even if Bill Russell or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was really better than both of them, LeBron’s the first player since Michael retired who has a solid statistical argument to take the seat. That makes this a NBA fan discussion worth having.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still looking for 60s. If I can just find Russell Wilt MJ and LBJ and Kobe together I would be set. Maybe some duncan Magic and Bird.

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A problem with pace adjusted stats is that shots and possessions have different values with different pace. Its either quantity over quality or quality over quantity, which is why although points per game were higher back in the day, efficiency was lower.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taken from the 70s one:

Just like with the ’60s guys I used a list of the top players for the decade per total Win Share. The work was considerably easier with the ’70s players because they kept track of steals, blocks, turnovers, and offensive rebounds, which meant I had to do a lot less statistical tomfoolery to get the numbers. I did a league adjustment on both pace and effective field goal percentage. So if Doctor J shot 5% better than the league average effective field goal percentage in the ’70s, I would set his adjusted eFG at 5% better than the average 2012-13 eFG%. Like with the ’60s I don’t have a way to estimate 3Pt attempts and so I can’t give made FGs or made and attempted 3 pointers.

So it seems that his adjustment was based on their edge on the league. That seems pretty fair.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of those stats you put up.. pace adjusted.. i give Mike a slight edge over lebron. but who cares. Kobe is more like Jordan, but Lebron is more like Magic, with better scoring.

my basketball insight begins in the late 80s as i began middle school and really started watching the NBA with the Heat coming into existence. the best player i have ever seen was Mike. I can name you half a dozen or so hall of famers who didnt get a ring because Michael was just so damn dominant. Until there are half a dozen or so hall of famers without rings and all of them lost to the same guy in the finals.. Jordan will always be the best ive seen.

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of those stats you put up.. pace adjusted.. i give Mike a slight edge over lebron. but who cares. Kobe is more like Jordan, but Lebron is more like Magic, with better scoring.

my basketball insight begins in the late 80s as i began middle school and really started watching the NBA with the Heat coming into existence. the best player i have ever seen was Mike. I can name you half a dozen or so hall of famers who didnt get a ring because Michael was just so damn dominant. Until there are half a dozen or so hall of famers without rings and all of them lost to the same guy in the finals.. Jordan will always be the best ive seen.

The 60s had even greater players that couldn't win because of Bill. Wilt, Baylor, West, Oscar, all kept at bay because of Russell. The 62 season had Wilt average 50 and 26, Oscar a triple double, yet it was Russell who won the MVP and the title.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering he didn't score he must have been more amazing on D than we could ever imagine.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was really neat about the Big O dropping a bunch and Kareem would be right next to LBJ and MJ for best in the league.

Could you imagine the matchups with those 3 on 3 different teams built around each other?It would be like the 80s with Magic and Bird...and Kareem on LBJs team.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff Slayer! :yo:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

Sman2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say just read through and enjoy them but there is no way we don't start flinging poo with the first post.

Some of this is lengthy but awesome:

Double Dribble | Shoving Basketball Knowledge Into Your Dome. | Page 2

LeBron James vs. Michael Jordan – A Statistical Comparison (Pace Adjusted)
May 7, 2013 by jpalumbo
In response to a quote from Pat Riley wherein he stated that LeBron James may be the best player ever, there’s been a healthy dialogue about whether or not James has a defensible argument as the G.O.A.T.

You know I need to get in on this! Revisiting our pace adjusted comparison between Kobe’s best 4 years and Jordan’s 4 most comparable seasons, I’ve broken down the numbers on LeBron as a member of the Heat vs. Jordan at the same age. The age range is 26-28. The seasons are 2011-2013 for LeBron James and 1990-1992 for Michael Jordan. The comparison is eerily apropos.

Both players were dealing with new team structures in the wake of playoff failure – Jordan with a ECF loss to the Pistons and the installation of Phil Jackson in the head coach position and the triangle offense changing his responsibilities – LeBron with a disappointing 2nd round loss to the Celtics and a change of teams to Miami. Both players lost to the eventual champs in their first season under these new circumstances, Jordan to the Pistons in 7 games and LeBron to the Mavericks in 6 games. Both players won their first championship the next season. Both players’ teams won 65+ games the third season. They both had great stats but missed out on MVPs in the first season and then won back to back season MVPs and in Jordan’s case back to back Finals MVPs (LeBron may very well accomplish the same). Both players had to adjust to sharing the spotlight with superstar teammates. Both players were statistically and by reputation and accomplishment head and shoulders above the competition of their day. So… it’s a good range to compare.

I adjusted Michael’s stats to the 2011-13 Heat pace, so that the possessions available to both players would be level and would be in keeping with today’s game. Obviously there are other factors at play in today’s game that make it different from what it was in the early 1990s, so arguments could be made that adjusting for pace is only one piece of the comparison. That said, I don’t have a crystal ball to tell me how Jordan would function on a team loaded with three point shooters or how LeBron would play with no zone defense. I don’t know if having a hand-check available would significantly help LeBron’s on-ball defense or hurt his driving game. Nor do I know what a semi-zone would do to Jordan’s ability to ball-hawk on defense and high-post on offense. Let’s stick with what we know and examine the numbers.

Pace Adjusted Per Game Stats

Jordan: 30.3 Pts, 5.7 Ast, 6.1 Rbd, 2.5 Stl, 0.9 Blk, 2.6 Tov TS% 59.7

James: 26.9 Pts, 6.9 Ast, 7.8 Rbd, 1.7 Stl, 0.8 Blk, 3.3 Tov TS% 61.3

It’s tough to evaluate which of those lines is better, isn’t it? The pace adjustment did very little to lessen MJ’s dominance. Where the Jordan vs. Kobe comparison was very close in terms of actual pace adjusted numbers, almost the same PPG, similar assists, similar TS%, Bron and MJ are strikingly different; yet they have almost exactly the same metrics, meaning they serve different team functions but have similar value.

Digging into the stats a little deeper, we see that LeBron is slightly more efficient in his scoring attempts.

Points per scoring possession:

Jordan: 1.19

James: 1.23

However, Jordan scores more points because he uses more of his team’s available possessions to try to score, and because he turns the ball over significantly less. MJ and Bron have very similar assist to turnover ratios. When we factor in attempts to create scores (FGA – 3PA + AST) to get a “plays made” estimate. Creating a plays made to turnover ratio, we show that Jordan is more efficient as an all-around points creator for his team.

Plays Made / Turnover:

Jordan: 11.4 to 1

James: 7.8 to 1

Looking at some of the factors we examined in the Jordan vs. Bryant comparison –

Total Offense (points + assists):

Jordan: 36

James: 33.8

Possessions Gained (steals + factored rebounds and blocks):

Jordan: +5.3

James: +4.9

Possessions Ended (turnovers + made shots + factored missed FGA & FTA):

Jordan: -24.7

James: -22.7

So overall Jordan ends more possessions for his team because he takes more shots, but he also gets it back a little bit more, and he creates slightly more offense. It’s very close. Jordan’s overall value by this standard is 0.6 points higher than James’s. Which wouldn’t mean much since it’s my personal creation, but it’s actually mirrored by the smart people metrics.

Advanced Per Game Stats & Metrics:

Jordan: 30.2 PER, 0.293 WS/48, ORtg 123 DRtg 103, USG% 32.8

James: 29.8 PER, 0.287 WS/48, ORtg 120 DRtg 100, USG% 31.2

That is very tight! As we saw in the pace adjusted per game figures, Jordan’s offense is higher rated, LeBron’s possession maintenance (in this case shown as DRtg) is higher rated. Interestingly the league average Rtg for 1990-92 was 3 points higher than it was for 2011-13, meaning that if you were to make a league adjustment to Jordan’s O and D ratings by shifting him to this time frame, his numbers would exactly match LeBron’s. The ORtg minus DRtg is 20 for each player. The only difference is in Usage, where Jordan has a 1.6 advantage. So using the simple estimated 100 possession Dean Oliver ORtg – DRtg + Usage calculation, Jordan creates a net +1.6 more points per hundred possessions than LeBron or about net +0.58 more points per game. Half a point.

Overall the dynamic between the two is exactly what you’d expect. James has the more varied all around game and is more turnover prone. Jordan scores more and is slightly less efficient as a shooter. The metrics are ridiculously close with MJ maintaining a small edge.

You could argue the intangibles all day, clutchness (if it exists), leadership, durability, etc. In Jordan’s favor is the fact that he won the title in year three of this comparison, and LeBron hasn’t yet, and Mike went onto win in year 4 as well. Also Michael’s teams never lost a series where they were favored (had home court advantage), and he never lost in an NBA Finals, even though twice the Bulls did not have home court.

But those sorts of arguments are circumstantial and easily shrugged off. The truth is that we’ve been looking for the heir to Jordan’s throne for 20 years, and even if he still has some things to prove, and even if the specifics will always be debated, and even if Bill Russell or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was really better than both of them, LeBron’s the first player since Michael retired who has a solid statistical argument to take the seat. That makes this a NBA fan discussion worth having.

Yawn...

Hey ASSwipe, have you ever seen Michael Jordan with 2 bronze medals around his neck?

Have you ever seen Michael Jordan SWEPT in the finals?

Have you ever seen Jordan shoot consecutive airballs from the ft line in the finals?

Have you ever seen Jordan disappear for an entire series in the finals?

So take your PACE stats and shove it up your Pussy.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yawn...

Hey ASSwipe, have you ever seen Michael Jordan with 2 bronze medals around his neck?

Have you ever seen Michael Jordan SWEPT in the finals?

Have you ever seen Jordan shoot consecutive airballs from the ft line in the finals?

Have you ever seen Jordan disappear for an entire series in the finals?

So take your PACE stats and shove it up your Pussy.

Oh Sman how I will look back with fond memories of our little chats. Honestly the hypocrisy and general lack of fact based evaluations has left me bored with you on a conversational level. I do find your posts quite entertaining comedic gold though.

I can best compare your posts to what I would expect to hear in a bar with a 7 drink minimum and a 75 IQ maximum filled to capacity with 68 year old men bitter with no wives sharing their basketball "knowledge" with each other but never really hearing what anybody else is saying.

Sman2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I like that. Good job.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Russell :(

NBA Stars of 1960s Pace Adjusted Stats | Double Dribble

I think he accounts for this in one of his explanations, I will try to find it.

The sad face because his numbers aren't as great as expected? I've long suspected people overrate his abilities and older players in general. The older a player is, the bigger the "back in the day" exaggeration story gets. You know, "back in my day, we walked 15 miles, etc". It's hard to disprove though since there's so little film and stats weren't kept like they are now. These pace adjusted surmising flesh that out some.

When it comes to Russell, I've always felt he wasn't as talented as the other all time great centers he's listed with. Everyone always points to his 11 titles, but is that really all because of him? I'd say no. He just happened to be a common thread for a franchise that had multiple HoFers in its dynasty. Essentially, those early Cs teams had a practical monopoly on the top talent along with a best of all time coaching candidate. His defense by all accounts was good and so was his leadership so when you add it all up, he does warrant all time status. But imo from stats like above, he's more Top 10ish than the Top 5ish so many are quick to throw out. I just feel people place heavy emphasis on championships because they're easy to quantify. Anyone can count. But so much goes into winning a title that goes beyond just a player you have to limit yourself. It's just a piece of the pie.

Side note about all those stats. One thing I personally wonder about is athletic competition. I personally believe we as humans are better athletically now than 40 years ago. Therefore I would think the average NBA player today might be a tougher opponent than a 60s average player. It's impractical to quantify but I often wonder how much it matters.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh Sman how I will look back with fond memories of our little chats. Honestly the hypocrisy and general lack of fact based evaluations has left me bored with you on a conversational level. I do find your posts quite entertaining comedic gold though.

I can best compare your posts to what I would expect to hear in a bar with a 7 drink minimum and a 75 IQ maximum filled to capacity with 68 year old men bitter with no wives sharing their basketball "knowledge" with each other but never really hearing what anybody else is saying.

:clap: :pound: