• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy WR Tier Ranking - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 1 of 3

Pittsburgh's Brown rises to top, Detroit's Johnson falls some - Eric Karabell Blog - ESPN
By Eric Karabell

My annual strategy thoughts on how to deal with the quarterback, running back, tight end, team defense and kicker spots in fantasy football don’t seem to alter much, but when it comes to wide receiver, however, anything goes. I could start a draft with three receivers out of four picks, or be patient and wait. There’s obviously excellent depth at wide receiver, perhaps more than ever in the top tiers, but also the middle, and pretty much toward the end as well. There will be intriguing wide receivers who will not get selected in ESPN standard formats.

This is the third of four installments in our series on tiered systems, why they matter and how to both prepare and gain from them in your drafts and auctions this season. As noted in prior weeks with QB and RB, the most important thing is to handle the business well in advance of when you’ll need it, then tweak the results. Plan well and you’ll know where the drop-offs are and who’s a better team fit. Use your own rankings and those from ESPN and myself as a guide, though maybe you don’t feel the same way I do about a player. It’s your team, after all!

Tier 1: Late first-round/early second-round value
Nobody is more consistent from week to week, and he was last year’s top player in PPR formats. I thought about making him his own tier. No, really.
2. Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos: Pretend Peyton Manning retired tomorrow. Would he be top-10? Nope. But Peyton’s still around! Don’t worry!
3. Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys: I generally don’t buy into motivation factor, but this guy has got it with the way last season ended.

Tier 2: Second round
4. Jordy Nelson, Green Bay Packers: Nothing to worry about here. Aaron Rodgers will make sure of it.
5. Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons: Capable of an Antonio Brown-like season soon.
6. A.J. Green, Cincinnati Bengals: You don’t have to own his quarterback. Green is special.
7. Odell Beckham Jr., New York Giants: He’s really good and he knows it. Only concern, and hopefully it’s a minor one, is health.
8. Calvin Johnson, Detroit Lions: He has missed games each of the past two seasons, thus the fall from top of the position rankings to this, though it’s still good. It’s not unreasonable to hope for another 100-catch, 16-game season.
9. Alshon Jeffery, Chicago Bears: There’s wide receiver change around him, but nothing should alter for him. Again, the Jay Cutler interceptions don’t get charged to Jeffery.

Tier 3: Third round
10. Emmanuel Sanders, Broncos: Breakout season in Denver was no real surprise. He should do it again, too.
11. Randall Cobb, Packers: Made a wise decision sticking around Wisconsin.
12. T.Y. Hilton, Indianapolis Colts: Lots of depth for Andrew Luck to throw to, but Hilton should be tops.

Tier 4: Fourth round
13. Mike Evans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Yes, it’s a rookie quarterback, but still an upgrade over last season. Anything would be. And Evans scored 12 touchdowns anyway!
14. DeAndre Hopkins, Houston Texans: He could use a quarterback upgrade too. Still, he can improve on his sophomore season, in which he caught 76 passes for 1,210 yards.
15. Kelvin Benjamin, Carolina Panthers: Pretty tough to deal with near the goal line, as Cam Newton figured out quickly.
16. Julian Edelman, New England Patriots: People want to drop him from the top 20 because Tom Brady won’t play the first month, but what if Jimmy Garoppolo has mad game? He could be very good.
17. Brandin Cooks, New Orleans Saints: The beneficiary of the Jimmy Graham trade, in theory. He would have had a big rookie year without the thumb injury.
18. Sammy Watkins, Buffalo Bills: Future top-10 wide receiver, even in Buffalo. They’ll get a QB at some point.

Tier 5: Fifth round
19. Jordan Matthews, Philadelphia Eagles: Solid as a rookie, he’s in the right place to really break out. Will be interesting to see where he lines up.
20. Keenan Allen, San Diego Chargers: Obviously I’m expecting Year 3 to be more like Year 1 than Year 2.
21. Vincent Jackson, Buccaneers: The lack of touchdowns was a bit fluky. Could easily have been No. 7 or 8. Don’t ignore him.

Tier 6: Sixth round
22. Andre Johnson, Colts: Don’t listen to those who tell you he’s too old. He’s reborn with Luck at QB.
23. Brandon Marshall, New York Jets: He’s not too old either, but he sure doesn’t have Luck at QB. Just remember how talented he is.
24. Amari Cooper, Oakland Raiders: I happen to believe Derek Carr can be a usable quarterback, actually. Cooper is just a wonderful talent.
25. DeSean Jackson, Washington Redskins: Finds a way to make big plays, but as expected, couldn’t come close to the 82 receptions from his walk year in Philly. Can’t do that in D.C.

Tier 7: Seventh round
26. Kevin White, Bears: Another wonderfully athletic rookie, but let’s not assume last year’s success for first-year wide receivers will be duplicated. Still, White will be busy and productive, if he can overcome his current injury.
27. Mike Wallace, Minnesota Vikings: Teddy Bridgewater does throw a nice deep ball, and Wallace can still get downfield and catch it.
28. Nelson Agholor, Eagles: I think he’s underrated. Why should we assume his teammate, Matthews, is the No. 1 wide receiver, just because he played last season?

Last edited:

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 2 of 3

Tier 8: Eighth round
Golden Tate, Lions: Even if Megatron plays every game, frankly.
30. Eric Decker, Jets: OK, it might be tough for two Jets wide receivers to be top-30, but dare to dream.
31. Jeremy Maclin, Kansas City Chiefs: Watch him score a touchdown in the first game. Last year, famously, Chiefs wide receivers scored nary a touchdown. Hard to believe.
32. Brandon LaFell, Patriots: Better than most realize. And Tom Brady should play the other 12 games.
33. Martavis Bryant, Steelers: The reason for concern is obvious, that he can’t possibly replicate the reception-to-touchdown ratio. But why can’t he double the reception total and still score eight times?

Tier 9: Ninth round

34. Jarvis Landry, Miami Dolphins: PPR gold. Slot guy needs to up the yardage total a bit.
35. Allen Robinson, Jacksonville Jaguars: One of my breakout options. He needs to stay healthy, and Blake Bortles needs better protection.
36. Charles Johnson, Vikings: Another sleeper of sorts, he’s a better all-around receiver than Wallace.
37. Torrey Smith, San Francisco 49ers: Leaves Joe Flacco for Colin Kaepernick. Not sure it’s going to matter.

Tier 10: 10th round
38. Roddy White, Falcons: Solid in 2014, but knee problems persist. I ranked him better a month ago.
39. Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona Cardinals: Another potential Hall of Famer who’s having issues staying on the field. Let’s see if Carson Palmer gets him 130 targets.
40. Marques Colston, Saints: Well past his prime, but he still has Drew Brees. Could see 75 catches one more time.
41. Breshad Perriman, Baltimore Ravens: Upside rookie replaces Torrey Smith and should get deep for Flacco. Don’t expect major volume.
42. DeVante Parker, Dolphins: Foot issues could set him back, but there’s major upside. Looking at the next tier, I’d rather take the chance here.

Tier 11: 11th round
43. Michael Floyd, Cardinals: Well, he didn’t exactly emerge in 2014 as expected. There’s still time.
44. Steve Smith, Ravens: Was awesome the first month of the season. Then he wasn’t. And there’s no Carolina Panthers game on this season’s schedule.
45. Cecil Shorts, Texans: New home for him, potential relevance if he can stay healthy. Of course, we’re all day-to-day.
46. Anquan Boldin, 49ers: Easy to forget about him, but topped 1,000 yards receiving again.
47. Malcom Floyd, Chargers: He actually played in all 16 games, though the other numbers weren’t as impressive.
48. Cody Latimer, Broncos: Speculative pick in case you think a third Broncos wide receiver can be really relevant. Depending on how C.J. Anderson does and who plays tight end, it’s possible.

Tier 12: 12th round
49. Davante Adams, Packers: See Latimer. Basically needs an injury to really emerge.
50. John Brown, Cardinals: He might not need an injury to really emerge. Brown gets deep and his targets should rise.
51. Brian Quick, St. Louis Rams: Finally, a Ram. I get the feeling the Rams want Nick Foles handing the football off to Todd Gurley a lot.
52. Victor Cruz, Giants: Welcome back! Odell has taken your place, mostly.
53. Kendall Wright, Tennessee Titans: Finally, a Titan! Wright caught 94 passes two seasons ago, and he’s capable of moving up this list quickly.
54. Terrance Williams, Cowboys: Kind of like Martavis Bryant, sans the upside. Let’s not assume the touchdowns continue.
55. Dorial Green-Beckham, Titans: Maybe Marcus Mariota will be great right away.

Tier 13: 13th round
56. Pierre Garcon, Redskins: Maybe Robert Griffin III will be grea … nah, I can’t finish that sentence.
57. Dwayne Bowe, Cleveland Browns: Chances are good he’ll be looking back at Alex Smith more fondly than he ever expected. Like a Hall of Famer.
58. Percy Harvin, Bills: I refuse to buy in and can’t understand why so many others love him. It’s not just sketchy health. It’s a lack of production when healthy.
59. Michael Crabtree, Raiders: Switching sides by the bay, but hard to tell what he’s got left.
60. Nick Toon, Saints: Sleeper alert. Hey, he could start. and it’s Brees at QB. And Cooks isn’t exactly a guarantee.
61. Marqise Lee, Jaguars: Another starter, probably, and a sleeper. It’s up to Bortles, really.
62. Doug Baldwin, Seattle Seahawks: Yeah, Russell Wilson doesn’t throw the ball a ton, and you might have heard the franchise traded for a tight end.

Last edited:

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 3 of 3

Tier 14: 14th round and later -- Marvin Jones, Bengals; Donte Moncrief, Colts; Cole Beasley, Cowboys; Rueben Randle, Giants; Tyler Lockett, Seahawks; Devin Funchess, Panthers; Eddie Royal, Bears; Cordarrelle Patterson, Vikings; Kenny Britt, Rams; Rod Streater, Raiders; Greg Jennings, Dolphins; Stevie Johnson, Chargers; Allen Hurns, Jaguars; Brian Hartline, Browns; Jarius Wright, Vikings; Andrew Hawkins, Browns; Riley Cooper, Eagles; Justin Hunter, Titans; Mohamed Sanu, Bengals.
I gotta gove you props, your list was pretty good, but i think calvin johnson will be back in the tier ones.

Dawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta gove you props, your list was pretty good, but i think calvin johnson will be back in the tier ones.
The reason i think calvin johnson will be a tier one this year is because every year he gets hurt the follow year he comes back and ball out.

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would put 8 guys into tier one. I see them all interchangeable studs that you would be happy with on any team. Jeffery is close as well but I want to see how Cutler does and what White can do. Things could change with teams only needing to key on him if White starts off slow.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for sharing iowa.
I disagree with many of Karabell's rankings - which actually makes me happy. Because he's one of the worst fantasy analysts IMO. (I believe Fantasy Pros had his accuracy towards the bottom of their "experts.")

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for sharing iowa.
I disagree with many of Karabell's rankings - which actually makes me happy. Because he's one of the worst fantasy analysts IMO. (I believe Fantasy Pros had his accuracy towards the bottom of their "experts.")
Ding ding ding. .we have a winner!