• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Failure to Meet Expectations

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another year, another failure to even hit the 9 win mark which should have been a gimmee this year of all years. Pathetic, glad we spend around $5 million in coaching fees for this, sure it's on the kids, but let me ask anyone who would disagree, if you don't meet a certain threshold where you work, do you keep your job?

This should have been cake with a Coach of the Year award for KF. 7-5 didn't beat a winning team, couldn't hold a big lead in the last game. Turd Bowl time

We all know Iowa isn't buying him out, but he should do the right thing and say this year is on me, I give back 50% of my salary. He won't though.

Jake vs CJ, I don't care, just find someone who can win games.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2009 11-2
2010 8-5
2011 7-6
2012 4-8
2013 8-5
2014 7-5 so far

Seriously, what the F happened after our Orange Bowl win? That's 34-29 since that time and how many losses to ISU?

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next season's schedule: about as easy as this year's. So, I'll say another 7-5 season is on the horizon.

Illinois St
@ Iowa St
Pittsburgh
North Texas
@ Wisconsin
Illinois
@ Northwestern
Maryland
@ Indiana
Minnesota
Purdue
@ Nebraska

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next season's schedule: about as easy as this year's. So, I'll say another 7-5 season is on the horizon.

Illinois St
@ Iowa St
Pittsburgh
North Texas
@ Wisconsin
Illinois
@ Northwestern
Maryland
@ Indiana
Minnesota
Purdue
@ Nebraska

Some how we have Dan McCarney on our schedule again. Chalk up the L.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly as I look at that, I am wondering how we can't win 10 games, but I know you guys are right, 7-5 again, ho hum

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2009 11-2
2010 8-5
2011 7-6
2012 4-8
2013 8-5
2014 7-5 so far

Seriously, what the F happened after our Orange Bowl win? That's 34-29 since that time and how many losses to ISU?

I will try to give a few things that happened.

* Norm Parker, one of the best defensive coordinators in the country, retired
* Basically the rest of the coaching staff left.
* AIRBHG, we came down to a 3rd string FB as the starting tailback.
* Stanzi and McNutt graduated. DJK is a coke-head
* I know this is a surprise to you guys, but Iowa's tradition is no where at the level of Ohio State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Alabama, USC.

Last edited by a moderator:

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

* I know this is a surprise to you guys, but Iowa's tradition is no where at the level of Ohio State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Alabama, USC.

Which is exactly why we have no business paying a HC the money we are. Nobody here is delusional enough to think we're some kind of powerhouse program steeped in tradition. :clap:

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa is paying Ferentz 4 million + year until 2020.

Last five years for Iowa Football
2010 8-5 beat Missouri in a Bowl game beat Iowa state
2011 7-6 lost to Oklahoma in a bowl game lost to Iowa State
2012 4-8 lost in the toilet bowl lost to Iowa State
2013 8-5 lost to LSU in a bowl game beat Iowa State
2014 7-5 enjoy the Pinstripe Bowl, lost to Iowa State

Iowa is 2-3 against Iowa State over the last five years.

Iowa is 34-29 over the five years, with one bowl win.

Who did Iowa piss off?

A quote from a peer

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Counter points to your notions of what went wrong:
A) Parker had lost control of nearly everything the last 2-3 years before retiring. His health issues were very unfortunate and KF moved Phil Parker into an interim defensive coordinator.
B) When the program is in a funk, head coaches are directed to make changes - or else. Reluctantly, KF "reorganized" his coaching staff. This took forever to be finalized and allowed the program to miss out on the recruiting process for that year. KF has shuffled coaches since Ken O'Keefe and Norm Parker. The only coaching shuffle remaining is to fire the entire coaching staff. This process has happened many times in college football.
C) Yes, hard to deny the injuries/issues that Iowa Football has had at the position. But let's be realistic here. The type of RB needed to play at the highest level will be players that have certain character flaws. The exact type of player that KF doesn't want to play...unless he is forced to.
D) Stanzi, McNutt, & DJK: solid players for the history of Iowa football. But in the real-world, all would have been studs at a lower level (MAC, MWC, WAC, CUSA, Sun, & FCS).
E) The history of Iowa Football is full of tradition. However, it isn't a dominant tradition. Annually, an 8-4 season for Iowa Football is a big deal, with an occasional 9+ win season icing on the cake.

KF is the right type of coach for the history and tradition of Iowa Football. I truly believe that KF has an 8 win regular season as a goal. Anything more is great. And settling for 7 wins still gets the program to a bowl. Any bowl invite is a big deal for Iowa Football. I'll always hope the team wins all of its games. But with the approach that KF has for every game, I can't get too excited.

KF earns roughly $11,000 per day, I don't think he really cares what happens from here on out. KF has rebuilt the program and then watched it fall back to mediocrity under his watch. A mirror image to what happened under Hayden Fry.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is exactly why we have no business paying a HC the money we are. Nobody here is delusional enough to think we're some kind of powerhouse program steeped in tradition. :clap:

Why would I care how much U of I pays Ferentz? I hate how people use salaries to rank coaches.

My dad is one of the most respected excavators in this area earned by decades of hard work, but he runs a 3-person company, works 80 hours/7 days a week and weekends, holidays, vacation is 2-days off (Sat and Sun) to go to Branson, and just barely avoiding poverty.

Then there are owners of bigger excavating businesses who may have shoveled snow off his steps to his front door, takes 2-week fishing trips, has the latest SUV, truck, and electronics, complains if he works more than 40 hours, every holiday and weekend off, but knows how to work the checkbook so he can take money from his employees.

Ask anyone around here who is a better excavator, they will say those like my dad every time. They won't bring up salaries.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Counter points to your notions of what went wrong:
A) Parker had lost control of nearly everything the last 2-3 years before retiring. His health issues were very unfortunate and KF moved Phil Parker into an interim defensive coordinator.
B) When the program is in a funk, head coaches are directed to make changes - or else. Reluctantly, KF "reorganized" his coaching staff. This took forever to be finalized and allowed the program to miss out on the recruiting process for that year. KF has shuffled coaches since Ken O'Keefe and Norm Parker. The only coaching shuffle remaining is to fire the entire coaching staff. This process has happened many times in college football.
C) Yes, hard to deny the injuries/issues that Iowa Football has had at the position. But let's be realistic here. The type of RB needed to play at the highest level will be players that have certain character flaws. The exact type of player that KF doesn't want to play...unless he is forced to.
D) Stanzi, McNutt, & DJK: solid players for the history of Iowa football. But in the real-world, all would have been studs at a lower level (MAC, MWC, WAC, CUSA, Sun, & FCS).
E) The history of Iowa Football is full of tradition. However, it isn't a dominant tradition. Annually, an 8-4 season for Iowa Football is a big deal, with an occasional 9+ win season icing on the cake.

KF is the right type of coach for the history and tradition of Iowa Football. I truly believe that KF has an 8 win regular season as a goal. Anything more is great. And settling for 7 wins still gets the program to a bowl. Any bowl invite is a big deal for Iowa Football. I'll always hope the team wins all of its games. But with the approach that KF has for every game, I can't get too excited.

KF earns roughly $11,000 per day, I don't think he really cares what happens from here on out. KF has rebuilt the program and then watched it fall back to mediocrity under his watch. A mirror image to what happened under Hayden Fry.

A) Fair enough, but the defense was still his philosophy and game plan.
B) No comeback
C) Ferentz doesn't find many diamonds in the rough, he makes diamonds out of coal. He kind of takes what he can.
D) Right, but the players Iowa had on D were FBS elite. 2008 and 09, Iowa had a good offense and one of the best defenses in CFB. 2010, one of the best defenses in college football and mediocre offense.
E) I got crucified one time for comparing Ferentz to Fry.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would I care how much U of I pays Ferentz? I hate how people use salaries to rank coaches.

My dad is one of the most respected excavators in this area earned by decades of hard work, but he runs a 3-person company, works 80 hours/7 days a week and weekends, holidays, vacation is 2-days off (Sat and Sun) to go to Branson, and just barely avoiding poverty.

Then there are owners of bigger excavating businesses who may have shoveled snow off his steps to his front door, takes 2-week fishing trips, has the latest SUV, truck, and electronics, complains if he works more than 40 hours, every holiday and weekend off, but knows how to work the checkbook so he can take money from his employees.

Ask anyone around here who is a better excavator, they will say those like my dad every time. They won't bring up salaries.

Nice story jerms- I'm sure your Dad is a great guy and a hard worker.

People who coach big time college football aren't like us. They're not.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerms,

8-5 in 2010 does not equate to one of the best defenses in the country. The defense that year totally underachieved. Elite talent...doesn't allow a 5-loss season. It is more of a testament of the coaching staff F'ing up the players on a weekly basis.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jerms must be related to KF, just one excuse after the other, mediocrity might be his middle name...where's the fire and passion? I used to say that to Hoops and he found it.

Sad fact is Iowa is mediocre, average, C grade, middle of the road, top 60 program, ordinary, unexceptional, unexciting except for a small %age of plays, pedestrian and underwhelming as a football program in the last 5 years. No one can deny that, the record shows it and any counterpoint of excuses will not change it.

Look at other programs, how did Indiana get a 2000 yard rusher? IU the team that until today had not won a conference game. 2000 yard rusher...we can't even figure out how to use our RB's usually. I would rather have an exciting 2000 yard rusher than be mediocre, it gives you hope.

The only saving grace is the extra practice time and hopefully we don't screw the pooch too bad in the bowl game to lose our awesome 2 star recruits.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawkeye,

Nicely stated.

KF will steal a recruit from Texas that was headed to the MWC against this year. Plus, he'll find someone headed to an FCS program and swoop in and take him. Shoot, UNI is out-recruiting Iowa the past 3 years.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, Johnson wanted to come to Iowa, but KF didn't want to wait for him to get his academics in order.

So Nebraska fires Bo for NEVER winning less than 9 games, we should snatch him up in place of Phil Parker or Greg Davis in a heartbeat. This is how top tier programs think, Iowa just accepts mediocrity.

Bo goes 9 wins on a stretch like that at Iowa and we sign him up til 2030

So we finish 7th in conference and get some turd bowl...Palm says against Mississippi in the Tax Bowl, wow what a fun game that will be to see us get our brains beat out in.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to say, I'm disheartened by what's happened in Lincoln. Wish Iowa had the nuts to do the same..

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2002, 1 play and they were undefeated, 3 plays the other way and they would have 4 losses
2009, 2 plays and they are undefeated, 5 plays the other way and they would have 7 losses

This year. 3 plays one way and Iowa is 10-2, 3 plays the other way and Iowa is 4-8.

You can pick 1 play a game that makes a difference between this season and what 2009 was.