• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FA list

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add Ben Revere to the list, most likely.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braves released LHP Scott Kazmir.:suds:

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nationals released OF Alejandro De Aza.:suds:

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add Ben Revere to the list, most likely.
Revere would be great in the minors. he could be "guy that starts out on second base in extra inning games"

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revere would be great in the minors. he could be "guy that starts out on second base in extra inning games"
TBH, I'd rather have Revere than Billy Hamilton, who could start on first base and achieve the same objective.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBH, I'd rather have Revere than Billy Hamilton, who could start on first base and achieve the same objective.
They are both so completely devoid of power that it is hard for either one to have too much value. Revere I think is a better hitter but Hamilton is better defensively. I'd like to see Revere do well somewhere though. He spent a couple years on the Phillies and he was one of the most likeable players that they've had. Very streaky hitter, but when he was hot he could get on base 2 or 3 times a day for two weeks straight. Just zero power.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are both so completely devoid of power that it is hard for either one to have too much value. Revere I think is a better hitter but Hamilton is better defensively. I'd like to see Revere do well somewhere though. He spent a couple years on the Phillies and he was one of the most likeable players that they've had. Very streaky hitter, but when he was hot he could get on base 2 or 3 times a day for two weeks straight. Just zero power.
Depending on the lineup these days, it's maybe not too bad IF he has something of an OBP. The 3-through-7 order for the Reds can hit 130 home runs but starting off an inning with 2 outs is murder if Hamilton can only pretend he's going to bunt and the pitcher actually attempting it. In Cincy, bad outfield play is murder for pitchers.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on the lineup these days, it's maybe not too bad IF he has something of an OBP. The 3-through-7 order for the Reds can hit 130 home runs but starting off an inning with 2 outs is murder if Hamilton can only pretend he's going to bunt and the pitcher actually attempting it. In Cincy, bad outfield play is murder for pitchers.
Well Revere could hit .300 and have a .330 OBP (not much higher because no one is walking a guy who hits almost all singles and can steal bases), but I think Hamilton has a big edge over him in defense.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Revere could hit .300 and have a .330 OBP (not much higher because no one is walking a guy who hits almost all singles and can steal bases), but I think Hamilton has a big edge over him in defense.
Hamilton will be worth 3 or 4 wins with his glove -- if he doesn't stop crashing into walls. He's also got a plus throwing arm. It's just a shame he can't get on base. His rate of scoring is close to 45 percent. Oddly he has never led the league in steals and averages about 50 swipes a year. I love the guy but it's time to consider a change. The owner wants to keep BH, and I think we as fans are still going to hope that he learns how to increase is OB average.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton will be worth 3 or 4 wins with his glove -- if he doesn't stop crashing into walls. He's also got a plus throwing arm. It's just a shame he can't get on base. His rate of scoring is close to 45 percent. Oddly he has never led the league in steals and averages about 50 swipes a year. I love the guy but it's time to consider a change. The owner wants to keep BH, and I think we as fans are still going to hope that he learns how to increase is OB average.
Yeah, a guy like that is fun to watch but it also seems like Cincinnati is not the best fit because of the stadium they play in (same with Revere in Philadelphia). That is a good home run park so those stolen bases aren't as valuable. You really just want guys that get on base a lot so you can get some three run homers.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah I'd rather have Hamilton just because of the defense and baserunning. Revere can be a better hitter, but you're still talking about a guy with a lifetime .319 OBP and 83 OPS+. Those numbers are still pretty lousy for an outfielder.

maybe Hamilton will start hitting more ground balls to inflate his BABIP.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah I'd rather have Hamilton just because of the defense and baserunning. Revere can be a better hitter, but you're still talking about a guy with a lifetime .319 OBP and 83 OPS+. Those numbers are still pretty lousy for an outfielder.

maybe Hamilton will start hitting more ground balls to inflate his BABIP.
The idea that BH can at least improve his attempts at reaching base is an ongoing conversation with the scribes, the front office, the broadcast booth and the coaching staff. He wants to hit line drives but he doesn't have the bat speed. He can't hit lefty and his attempts at bunting are laughable. He doesn't need to reach base every time he bunts. Nobody reaches base every time. Infielders in the big leagues are defensively too strong to let him toy with that.

That said, I don't know what he ought to do. I think he's as good as he is going to get. The best comparison is Larry Lintz, who somebody once called the best player in baseball ... after he gets to first base.

Yeah, you had to look up ol' LL, right?

But BH will blow your mind with his range in CF.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea that BH can at least improve his attempts at reaching base is an ongoing conversation with the scribes, the front office, the broadcast booth and the coaching staff. He wants to hit line drives but he doesn't have the bat speed. He can't hit lefty and his attempts at bunting are laughable. He doesn't need to reach base every time he bunts. Nobody reaches base every time. Infielders in the big leagues are defensively too strong to let him toy with that.

That said, I don't know what he ought to do. I think he's as good as he is going to get. The best comparison is Larry Lintz, who somebody once called the best player in baseball ... after he gets to first base.

Yeah, you had to look up ol' LL, right?

But BH will blow your mind with his range in CF.
I don't remember Lintz but I think Oakland had a guy on their roster for a couple years whose main job was to be a pinch runner. But back then I think they had less pitchers than teams carry now so the bench was deeper.
Also, if I remember right, Geronimo was pretty mediocre as a hitter and that didn't seem to affect the Big Red Machine. (Although he was still better at getting on base than Hamilton and the rest of the team was loaded offensively)

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember Lintz but I think Oakland had a guy on their roster for a couple years whose main job was to be a pinch runner. But back then I think they had less pitchers than teams carry now so the bench was deeper.
Also, if I remember right, Geronimo was pretty mediocre as a hitter and that didn't seem to affect the Big Red Machine. (Although he was still better at getting on base than Hamilton and the rest of the team was loaded offensively)
Finley had the designated runner Herb Washington who had absolutely zero baserunning instinct. It was mostly a joke but in those days with that pitching staff, he could hide a turkey on his roster. I don't have any idea how well he was accepted by the A's.

Geronimo was a .240 hitter on a team that was impossible to pitch around. He had a cannon for an arm.

Herb Washington never batted in a game.

Herb Washington Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

Larry Lintz was a .227 lifetime hitter.

Larry Lintz Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finley had the designated runner Herb Washington who had absolutely zero baserunning instinct. It was mostly a joke but in those days with that pitching staff, he could hide a turkey on his roster. I don't have any idea how well he was accepted by the A's.

Geronimo was a .240 hitter on a team that was impossible to pitch around. He had a cannon for an arm.

Herb Washington never batted in a game.

Herb Washington Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

Larry Lintz was a .227 lifetime hitter.

Larry Lintz Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
Yeah, Herb Washington was the guy I was thinking of. But you're right those A's teams would roll with like 9 pitchers on the roster most of the time which would be considered crazy today.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Herb Washington was the guy I was thinking of. But you're right those A's teams would roll with like 9 pitchers on the roster most of the time which would be considered crazy today.
Look at their stats for the 74-5 seasons. Basically a three-man rotation, four at most.
Fingers got very few saves relative to his appearances.
I hated that team but loved what they did for baseball.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at their stats for the 74-5 seasons. Basically a three-man rotation, four at most.
Fingers got very few saves relative to his appearances.
I hated that team but loved what they did for baseball.
Yeah, I think they were a team that people either loved or hated. But man, the amount of talent between the Reds and A's in the mid 70's was just crazy. I can think of 6 hall of famers off the top of my head on the teams from 73-76 and tons of very good players. Jackson, Fingers,Hunter,Bench,Morgan,Perez,Rose*, and a year or two later Seaver. But the "very good" guys on those teams were impressive too. Joe Rudi was good, Gene Tenace and Sal Bando were probably even better than people realize, Griffey, Concepcion. Also Vida Blue had some really good years.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Bert Campaneris was pesky as hell and he played for about 50 years

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think they were a team that people either loved or hated. But man, the amount of talent between the Reds and A's in the mid 70's was just crazy. I can think of 6 hall of famers off the top of my head on the teams from 73-76 and tons of very good players. Jackson, Fingers,Hunter,Bench,Morgan,Perez,Rose*, and a year or two later Seaver. But the "very good" guys on those teams were impressive too. Joe Rudi was good, Gene Tenace and Sal Bando were probably even better than people realize, Griffey, Concepcion. Also Vida Blue had some really good years.
Bill North was one of the underrated players on that team.