• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Extra innings rule question

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no clue what you were asking in the first sentence to be honest.

Yes it is easier to accomplish. If the batter comes up in the 8th inning with a runner on 3rd and less than two outs do they get a lesser RBI?
No, because a real AB happened to put the runner on. One of several things happened, either the defense screwed up, he was put intentionally on base, he got there through through a hit, and was then moved over.
You're missing the point. Just because the circumstances are manufactured doesn't mean they are any different from the batter. Just like in innings 1-9, RBI are a product of circumstance.

We are now in a repetitive disagreement.
The guy who gets to bat with a free RISP has an increased chance at an RBI. That's compared to every other player in regulation innings 1-9. The RBI that that guy earns is easier than all the other RBIs that the other guys might've earned. That's all I'm saying.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, because a real AB happened to put the runner on. One of several things happened, either the defense screwed up, he was put intentionally on base, he got there through through a hit, and was then moved over.

The guy who gets to bat with a free RISP has an increased chance at an RBI. That's compared to every other player in regulation innings 1-9. The RBI that that guy earns is easier than all the other RBIs that the other guys might've earned. That's all I'm saying.
And those real ABs have nothing to do with the batter currently at the plate with the runner on and who would be credited with an RBI.

Every time a batter comes up with a RISP it's a "free" RISP because he did nothing to get that runner there. As RBI go as an individual statistic, there's no difference.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And those real ABs have nothing to do with the batter currently at the plate with the runner on and who would be credited with an RBI.

Every time a batter comes up with a RISP it's a "free" RISP because he did nothing to get that runner there. As RBI go as an individual statistic, there's no difference.
Again, compare the guy with a free RISP to a guy who doesn't get one. Who has the better chance at the RBI?

Because there are so many possible outcomes of an AB, we generally credit the base runner as deserving of being there, one way or another. Removing how he got there and focusing only on the next guy in the order is fine to move along the game, but cheapens the RBI stat.

We can agree to disagree. I'm not a fan of this rule, as you can tell. :)

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, compare the guy with a free RISP to a guy who doesn't get one. Who has the better chance at the RBI?

Because there are so many possible outcomes of an AB, we generally credit the base runner as deserving of being there, one way or another. Removing how he got there and focusing only on the next guy in the order is fine to move along the game, but cheapens the RBI stat.

We can agree to disagree. I'm not a fan of this rule, as you can tell. :)
Compare the guy who comes up in the 8th with a RISP and someone who comes up with 0 runners on, same logic applies. It's why RBI is meaningless by itself

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so they toss a guy on 2nd now, i.e scoring position, to start the game. he had to get there, somehow.

does that base runner get credited with a double, and the pitcher, a hit allowed? i assume from a metrics standpoint, someone has to get credit for something to get a guy on 2nd.
This has probably been answered but when the Pirates lost in 11 the pitcher who gave up the run wasn't charged with an earned run but did take the loss. I guess they're treating it like he got there on an error.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has probably been answered but when the Pirates lost in 11 the pitcher who gave up the run wasn't charged with an earned run but did take the loss. I guess they're treating it like he got there on an error.
interesting. so he gets a loss, but no ER. who gets the error then?

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting. so he gets a loss, but no ER. who gets the error then?
I meant to say inherited runner, not an error. The only difference is the guy who gets the inherited runner could take the loss even if his ERA isn't affected, if that makes sense. Like Neverauskus took the loss but that run didn't count as earned.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compare the guy who comes up in the 8th with a RISP and someone who comes up with 0 runners on, same logic applies. It's why RBI is meaningless by itself
The guy who goes up in the 8th with a RISP only had the option of easier-to-achieve RBI, because at least one real AB happened before. Odds are, there's more than 0 outs too. (In such a circumstance, sac fly might not even be an option to get that RBI.)

By awarding each team a free RISP at the start of every half inning and no out, the batter has many more options than a standard lead-off man. A lot of those will result in an RBI that is, you'd have to agree, at least somewhat more unnatural than one obtained in innings 1-9.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i actually like the rule. pace of play is slow enough in the first 9 innings. finish it quick in extras.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy who goes up in the 8th with a RISP only had the option of easier-to-achieve RBI, because at least one real AB happened before.
Here's the point. He has nothing to do with that AB. I understand the circumstances are different for the team but not for the individual credited with the RBI.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the point. He has nothing to do with that AB. I understand the circumstances are different for the team but not for the individual credited with the RBI.
The individual is merely lucky. He happened to be the next batter in the order and now gets a free RISP. Assuming he's a halfway decent player, he drive the ball deep enough for a sac fly and RBI. It's not sure thing that every player can do this, but it's quantitatively easier to accomplish than get a RISP, and then get him home through standard means. At least 8+ guys on every team stand less of a chance of having this happen. Given enough time with this new rule, and there would be a whole category of "extra innings RBI" that takes on new meaning.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The individual is merely lucky. He happened to be the next batter in the order and now gets a free RISP. Assuming he's a halfway decent player, he drive the ball deep enough for a sac fly and RBI. It's not sure thing that every player can do this, but it's quantitatively easier to accomplish than get a RISP, and then get him home through standard means. At least 8+ guys on every team stand less of a chance of having this happen. Given enough time with this new rule, and there would be a whole category of "extra innings RBI" that takes on new meaning.
The individual is always lucky when he comes up in those situations, yet the RBI counts the same. The process is easier to accomplish for the team of course, but not for the individual.