• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Expensive balls

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got to admit, it does make a difference. I usually play the DT solo's but I bought a sleeve of the Pro V1's and it immediately gave me 10 yards of distance. I put a lot of spin on the ball and I'm going to have to get used to the right-to-left (It's not that bad, maybe 10 yards or so) but my spin is now working for me a lot more. I don't want to say you can buy yourself a golf game but quality equipment definitely makes a difference. I also don't get as stupid around hazards given the fact that they're 3 bucks or so a pop.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got to admit, it does make a difference. I usually play the DT solo's but I bought a sleeve of the Pro V1's and it immediately gave me 10 yards of distance. I put a lot of spin on the ball and I'm going to have to get used to the right-to-left (It's not that bad, maybe 10 yards or so) but my spin is now working for me a lot more. I don't want to say you can buy yourself a golf game but quality equipment definitely makes a difference. I also don't get as stupid around hazards given the fact that they're 3 bucks or so a pop.

I'm a tour golf ball whore.

I think the PROVI is the benchmark golf ball...the perfect balance of distance, short game spin.

The Srizon Z series, Bridgestone 330 series, Callaway Chrome Soft, along with both VI and VIx...I've played them all. To be honest, distance is about the same and the short game spin is about the same for me...so, I typically look for deals on all of the above. I found some 330 RXS for 2 dz for $50 so I jumped on them...noted to be last year's model, but new in the box...I'm loving them.

I will say...if you are putting a lot of side spin on the ball and struggling to keep the ball in play...these may not be the balls to play yet.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't played anything but a Pro V1 in the last 10 years.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I play Nike's and have no problem but obviously now since they are banning them I am thinking about Pro V 1s but I just don't have the money for it.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me with expensive balls: "Whoa! It's ten yards farther into the woods!"

But I guess if you play a lot more frequently and you're an accurate ball-striker, they probably make a difference in your game.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quality clubs are more important than high priced golf balls.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I play Nike's and have no problem but obviously now since they are banning them I am thinking about Pro V 1s but I just don't have the money for it.
Try playing the Callaway Chrome ball.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pricier the ball, the more likely it will seek water.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had this friend that was in our group every now and then.

He would play with one ball but putt only with this one type of ball.
Can't remember the ball ..I think it was a Titleist and it had a real soft "grippy" cover.

Any of you guys have a special ball that you just putt with?

....and yes, lets just forgot about rule 15-2 for now.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't remember the ball ..I think it was a Titleist and it had a real soft "grippy" cover.

Not really. It's the chipping and pitching where I really notice the difference.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was going to bring up 15-2, but we're forgetting it...lol.

Actually not...there was a guy we played with that still played with the old high spinning super soft balata balls. I I have no idea where he got them from, but we played with this guy for a least 2 years and he always had them...and he would lose a ball from time to time so he had to have a bunch.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me with expensive balls: "Whoa! It's ten yards farther into the woods!"

But I guess if you play a lot more frequently and you're an accurate ball-striker, they probably make a difference in your game.

For me...distance not so much, maybe a +/- 2 or 3 yds. Short game for certain...we weekend hacks are probably never going to hit 75-80% of the greens in reg so a ball you can rely on how it will respond around the green saves strokes.