• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Expectations for Trevor Siemian

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Siemian could very well be the real deal. But it is still early. His first two games were serviceable, but not awe inspiring. His third game, with him starting out rough only to finish very strong, was the most impressive outing. Not easy for a young QB to "right the ship" mid-game like that. The real test will come in the next few weeks now that teams have game film. If Siemian shows he can adapt to other teams keying on him, we very well may have something special on our hands.

Real talk.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubted that Siemian would be the starter this season, and for several reasons. I am ecstatic that we are 3-0. Siemian has made some terrific throws, and he has made some horrific ones. I will root for him as long as he wearing a Bronco jersey. I hope he becomes a HOF QB and we found a diamond in the rough

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point the Broncos can sit on these guys for this year and next year in my opinion. See which one wins the job and then after next year trade one of them for big time draft capital. We could be looking at another Jay Cutler type trade. Hopefully we take a little more advantage of that type of trade. Getting a bit ahead of ourselves after 3 games but it does look like the Broncos are looking much better at the QB position this year than last year.

I project more like a Matt Cassell trade. Teams will trade but there will always be the stigma " of the team around him" scenario especially if Brent Ostrich fails in HOUS.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I project more like a Matt Cassell trade. Teams will trade but there will always be the stigma " of the team around him" scenario especially if Brent Ostrich fails in HOUS.

Could be...Right now we are all reacting to one good game by him after 2 very subpar games. All depends how he continues to develop or if say teams get tape on him and start seeing patterns/weaknesses in his game and begin to force him into those type of throws.

Heck I saw in the Cincy game there were 2 screen passes that they almost jumped. They knew what was coming and their guy was just a split second from turning those passes into a pick-6. So they are already beginning to pick up on certain patterns.

So before any of us get too crazy probably just need to let this whole situation develop a little more. I will say though that if he even plays like an average QB this year teams will be clamoring to trade for him. Even finding an average QB seems tough these days so teams are willing to overpay for the QB position. I mean look at Osweiler. Played like a below average QB this past season in 7 games and as hard as this is to admit even the Broncos were willing to overpay for that type of production/lack of production. Houston just was willing to pay more and we are seeing that team not look any better on offense with his addition. You are probably right that as much as I would love to get Jay Cutler value most likely it is closer to Cassell level even if he does play well.

Now given remember the Matt Cassell trade was a weird one. He was set to be a FA that year so the Patriots put the tag on him thinking they could find a trade partner. The problem being though teams could bluff the Patriots and say "we will make you pay the tag then." Throw in then when signing Cassell you had to sign him to a long-term deal with not really knowing his true value since he was surrounded by talent and had only had the one year of decent success. Heck couldn't even go back and watch his college tape because well there really wasn't any. So for the Patriots to get the 34th pick in the draft in that trade I would say was pretty impressive.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be...Right now we are all reacting to one good game by him after 2 very subpar games. All depends how he continues to develop or if say teams get tape on him and start seeing patterns/weaknesses in his game and begin to force him into those type of throws.

Heck I saw in the Cincy game there were 2 screen passes that they almost jumped. They knew what was coming and their guy was just a split second from turning those passes into a pick-6. So they are already beginning to pick up on certain patterns.

So before any of us get too crazy probably just need to let this whole situation develop a little more. I will say though that if he even plays like an average QB this year teams will be clamoring to trade for him. Even finding an average QB seems tough these days so teams are willing to overpay for the QB position. I mean look at Osweiler. Played like a below average QB this past season in 7 games and as hard as this is to admit even the Broncos were willing to overpay for that type of production/lack of production. Houston just was willing to pay more and we are seeing that team not look any better on offense with his addition. You are probably right that as much as I would love to get Jay Cutler value most likely it is closer to Cassell level even if he does play well.

Now given remember the Matt Cassell trade was a weird one. He was set to be a FA that year so the Patriots put the tag on him thinking they could find a trade partner. The problem being though teams could bluff the Patriots and say "we will make you pay the tag then." Throw in then when signing Cassell you had to sign him to a long-term deal with not really knowing his true value since he was surrounded by talent and had only had the one year of decent success. Heck couldn't even go back and watch his college tape because well there really wasn't any. So for the Patriots to get the 34th pick in the draft in that trade I would say was pretty impressive.

This is why hitting the deep passes against the Bengals for TDs was so important for Siemian. Kubiak had Siemian use just the run game and the short passing game in the opening two games - and the league loaded up the box - now with the deep pass ability shown - the defense really doesn't know what to expect from Siemian from now on.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why hitting the deep passes against the Bengals for TDs was so important for Siemian. Kubiak had Siemian use just the run game and the short passing game in the opening two games - and the league loaded up the box - now with the deep pass ability shown - the defense really doesn't know what to expect from Siemian from now on.

What I would love to see but not sure is actually a part of Kubiak's system is that of the fake screen then have the WR go deep. Just have a 3-wide set to the open side of the field and have the other 2 WR's fake like they are going to block then have one of them when the defense over commits to the screen pass take off deep. We saw this ran a few times with Manning during the good years here in Denver and it kept teams from trying to key in on the screen pass. I still think that will be the most dangerous play in our playbook as teams do seem to be trying hard to jump that route. Use that aggression against them.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good point Carl!

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I would love to see but not sure is actually a part of Kubiak's system is that of the fake screen then have the WR go deep. Just have a 3-wide set to the open side of the field and have the other 2 WR's fake like they are going to block then have one of them when the defense over commits to the screen pass take off deep. We saw this ran a few times with Manning during the good years here in Denver and it kept teams from trying to key in on the screen pass. I still think that will be the most dangerous play in our playbook as teams do seem to be trying hard to jump that route. Use that aggression against them.

Cd, you are a fan of the highest order. Very nice. :clap:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I notice - the longer this thread gets - the better Siemian gets at Quarterback. HHmmmm - are we the wings of the butterfly?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The speculation begins:

Mort & Schefter's Week 4 notebook: Could Trevor Siemian become trade bait?

I honestly think the Broncos keep Siemian on the roster at least through 2017. Then again, if he goes into 2017 as the anointed starter it will mean he had a successful 2016. If he has another successful 2017 it may be time to start considering other outcomes for both Siemian and Lynch.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves...

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or a shuttle pass off the Same side after the Defender bites on the fake screen flooding the area the Defender left with the Center to take out the S for a TD . if there going to cheat you can soooo take advantage of that ..

T

Last edited:

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deal is we were playing soft ball for Siemian ... My guess adding 10 or so plays each week that they practice hard each day so he will now have 40 plays to work with this week .

Rome was not built in a day .

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something that wasn't talked about but should be is that because we were having a QB competition, our offense is going to be behind where most other teams are. While guys like Winston and Luck were getting all the first team reps and growing with the offense during camp, we were splitting reps between sanchez and paxton and siemian. as he gets more reps in the offense, and more game time, the offense and the passing game will get better.

Just my 2 cents

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent point, Dr. Cy! My expectations are fairly high, and he has been on a progression arc that is exceeding them. That's a testament to not only him, but out coaching staff as well.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though I'm one of those fans that can't wait to see Paxton Lynch on the field for the Broncos, I have to admit that Siemian's development has been incredible. Considering his short and less than impressive college career, his ability to get himself to the pro level this quickly has been pretty amazing.

T-Sim keeps his eyes up and always looks downfield. He goes through his progressions pretty well for a rookie and slides easily in the pocket. Those just aren't rookie traits in this league. Of course, he needs to clean up some of those picks (and near picks) but this kid through 3 games has shown a pretty awesome maturity for his time in the league.

I still love the drafting of Paxton Lynch but I'm all aboard the T-Sim train for now! Go Broncos!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed the other day - Bronco players were calling him Tmoney. A sign of respect.