• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN's Mark Jones banned from calling Washington games

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN’s Mark Jones won’t be broadcasting any Washington games anytime soon

One of the more puzzling developments over the weekend in college football — or at least in college football around here — was an out-of-left-field tweet from ESPN’s Mark Jones, who added another bizarre chapter to his apparent personal feud with Washington.

“Washington Huskies took one one on the chin. Where’s Montana ? (sic),” Jones tweeted on Sunday, a day after the Huskies’ loss to Auburn in Atlanta.

Jones was the play-by-play broadcaster for UW’s victory over Cal at Husky Stadium last year. Late in that game, Jones called Chris Petersen “irascible and somewhat cantankerous.” It was earlier in that game that ESPN sideline reporter Quint Kessenich placed three cupcakes on the Husky Stadium turf to represent the Huskies’ three nonconference opponents.

Both the Pac-12 office and UW were aware of Jones’ tweet Sunday. An athletic department spokesman told The Seattle Times that Washington has been assured that Jones will not be broadcasting any of the Huskies’ games this season (and likely not any anytime soon).

“We are aware of the inappropriate comments in this tweet and have addressed it with ESPN,” the Pac-12 wrote in a statement.

Jones, perhaps after a call from an ESPN superior, tweeted another message about UW on Monday morning:

“Hey don’t get me wrong…I still think Washington will have a great season..losing to Auburn in their backyard is a lot better than what a team like Miami did to their CFP chances. All love Seattle. S/o to the bruthas at Greenlake Park”

Last edited:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams like Washington do get the shaft. Now if it was the USC Trojans playing Auburn, ESPN would be swinging on their nuts and talking about how great USC is. ESPN tends to have favorite teams in each league.

Yep, this is more of ESPN being ESPN.

During the Pete Carroll era, ESPN was touting us so much...I was getting sick of hearing about us. lol

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, this is more of ESPN being ESPN.

During the Pete Carroll era, ESPN was touting us so much...I was getting sick of hearing about us. lol

We were of the refs and the Pac10 favoring you guys too

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's my understanding that the Pac12 office is who spoke to ESPN directly, not some 'snowflake' bullshit from UW's AD office.

There has been some substantial bad blood between the Pac12 and ESPN commentators. Add in the already weird history with Jones and Washington, and the league office had a chat.

Do I think he should be banned from calling their games? No. Let him sink or swim on his own. Stop worrying about who is saying what on which network and just go win football games. Everything works out fine when you win and everything is fucked up when you don't. Let the wins and losses do the talking.

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh ffs he calls them out for playing cupcakes and he’s a bad guy?

Washington plays a bunch of cupcakes every year, the conference is practically a bakery.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are supposed to be covering the game not making themselves a part of it.

Chris Berman started this trend. Soon after every ESPN personality was coming up with catch phrases and making stupid noises. Now it's a contest to see who can be most controversial.

Just a bunch of shitty amateur actors.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know who the fuck that guy is.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh ffs he calls them out for playing cupcakes and he’s a bad guy?

Washington plays a bunch of cupcakes every year, the conference is practically a bakery.
DLBMfR2XkAAoChX.jpg

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He definitely was, but he did make a valid point. We haven't stepped up on the national stage yet, and until then we can expect late night starts and people doubting us.

If anything; they shouldn't block him from broadcasting Husky games in the future. This just fuels the desire to be better.

Except for he doesn’t have a point and this kind of shit matters now. If it was a couple years ago and the team is playing with nothing to lose I might agree with your “just prove them wrong” take. But the team has arrived on the national stage, they do have legitimate playoff hopes even after losing to Auburn in a good game. For better or worse national perception matters, and having an ESPN analyst talking shit and dragging up weak scheduling from a year ago and talking about Washington taking one to the chin in a game that could have gone either way is bullshit and helps no one.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know who the fuck that guy is.

One of the guys who gets stuck with late night pac games. Called Petersen cantankerous during their broadcast of the UW/cal game last year (because he wasn’t available to meet in person at their every beckon call) before they went on to do a segment highlighting how weak UW’s schedule was (again, during the game).

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the guys who gets stuck with late night pac games. Called Petersen cantankerous during their broadcast of the UW/cal game last year (because he wasn’t available to meet in person at their every beckon call) before they went on to do a segment highlighting how weak UW’s schedule was (again, during the game).
Had to look that word up

Doesn't seem like an accurate adjective to describe HC Peterson at all

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to look that word up

The whole thing was bizarre. I was at the game, but read about it afterwards so watched the recording after the fact. Never seen a broadcast crew do what they did.

That part turned out he wasn’t able to meet with them the day of the game but offered to do a phone conference instead. I guess if you don’t bow to the ESPN D team you better watch your back.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to look that word up

That ESPN cvnt at the Cal game last year ... the one with the cupcakes, told a Seattle radio host (Softy Mahler) that coach Petersen needed to learn to stay in his own lane. ESPN is a bunch of cvnts.