• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN trade article

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN has the following Jayson Stark article about potential sellers in trade:
Rays, Phillies and Cubs have MLB's most prominent trade targets - ESPN

There is a quote in the article:
"They'd like to rebuild," said an exec of one team that's spoken with them. "But what they want to do is move veterans for younger, productive major league players or top-line prospects who are close. They can't say to their fan base, `We're going to rebuild, and we'll see you in three years.' It's more like a half-rebuild. And that's going to be tough to pull off, with what they're selling."

I don't know about anyone else on here but I don't think this core of players as it is put together is going to make any noise. It is a mediocre team. I would love for them to put a run together and hope they do but realistically speaking I don't see it happening.

So, with that said, despite what the article says, I wouldn't mind the Phillies tearing everything up and starting from scratch with one very big proviso - Amaro needs to be gone. He can't be in charge of any rebuilding effort.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last sentence is the key Snowdog. But according to a recent post, the owner thinks Amaro is doing a great job so the cancer includes ownership.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rollins, Lee, Byrd, and especially Utley need to be moved ASAP. We could get some really good prospects back (think Wheeler for 3 months of Beltran). Utley's value will never be higher, especially if he can go on a mini-tear between now and July. And I don't get the thinking that blowing this team up guarantees that we will finish last in the division. Does anyone remember 2006 when we moved Abreu and Lidle and proceeded to go on a tear and finished only something like 2 games out of the Wild Card? Move Byrd and bring up Perkins to man right field. He can produce just as well if not better than Byrd. Hernandez can play shortstop and we could try Asche out at second base with Franco at third. I know he's struggled, but what the heck- I'd rather see him than Brignac (even though he has played well). I know most people think Biddle is still a year away from pitching in the big leagues but moving Lee would make it easier to promote him. He's pitched decent enough this year, there's no reason to delay bringing him up.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rollins, Lee, Byrd, and especially Utley need to be moved ASAP. We could get some really good prospects back (think Wheeler for 3 months of Beltran). Utley's value will never be higher, especially if he can go on a mini-tear between now and July. And I don't get the thinking that blowing this team up guarantees that we will finish last in the division. Does anyone remember 2006 when we moved Abreu and Lidle and proceeded to go on a tear and finished only something like 2 games out of the Wild Card? Move Byrd and bring up Perkins to man right field. He can produce just as well if not better than Byrd. Hernandez can play shortstop and we could try Asche out at second base with Franco at third. I know he's struggled, but what the heck- I'd rather see him than Brignac (even though he has played well). I know most people think Biddle is still a year away from pitching in the big leagues but moving Lee would make it easier to promote him. He's pitched decent enough this year, there's no reason to delay bringing him up.

Biddle is not ready and may never be.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN has the following Jayson Stark article about potential sellers in trade:
Rays, Phillies and Cubs have MLB's most prominent trade targets - ESPN

There is a quote in the article:
"They'd like to rebuild," said an exec of one team that's spoken with them. "But what they want to do is move veterans for younger, productive major league players or top-line prospects who are close. They can't say to their fan base, `We're going to rebuild, and we'll see you in three years.' It's more like a half-rebuild. And that's going to be tough to pull off, with what they're selling."

I don't know about anyone else on here but I don't think this core of players as it is put together is going to make any noise. It is a mediocre team. I would love for them to put a run together and hope they do but realistically speaking I don't see it happening.

So, with that said, despite what the article says, I wouldn't mind the Phillies tearing everything up and starting from scratch with one very big proviso - Amaro needs to be gone. He can't be in charge of any rebuilding effort.

I think mlb in general is mediocre (or has parity) so they probably could just do a half rebuild. But like everyone else, I'm skeptical as to whether Amaro would do a good job of it. They should be willing to listen to all offers and make any deals that make sense. Obviously this is just an example that will never happen, but I'll throw out a couple scenarios just for kicks. A lot of people joke around about having to give up something to make a team take Howard, but it actually isn't completely out of the question. Say the Dodgers are chasing the Giants and are desperate for a guy like Utley.

What if we gave up Utley for Joc Pederson (center field prospect being blocked by all their other OFs) on the condition that they take Howard and we pay 10 million a year of his salary? You've saved 30 million a year in payroll and you can replace them with Ruf and Hernandez for next to nothing. That money could be used for a starting pitcher or outfielder next year. Keep listening to offers for Rollins and Ruiz, but if the deal isn't there just let Jimmy be the face of the franchise and hopefully move Crawford in in 2016. If Rupp is hitting bring him up to play some first base and outfield, as well as catcher on Ruiz's off days.

Then I'd probably bring Pederson up and move Revere to a team with a stadium more suited to his style of play. Also, if Papelbon continues to play well hopefully a team is interested and you can unload that salary and go with Diekman and/or Giles in the 9th inning. With moves like that you probably don't lose much offensively (Hernandez will be a dropoff from Utley, Ruf may or may not be able to produce as much as Howard but I wouldn't be surprised if he did, Pederson could be an excellent player). That would free up money in case they had other deals where they would need to take on a salary in future trades. They could also possibly trade Burnett at the deadline. Like 382 said, even if they did make a bunch of moves like this, who's to say that would make them worse right now?