• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN 980's Chris Russell On Redskins Safeties

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again i have no issue with taking scherf at 5 none whatsoever i can live with a 10 year PB OG the question is is scherf a better football player then the players that have been mentioned at 5 and can you get that need addressed later ?

If we're assured of Scherff being a Pro-Bowl guard for 10 years, I've got no problem with the pick. The issue is that we're not certain at all about that.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're assured of Scherff being a Pro-Bowl guard for 10 years, I've got no problem with the pick. The issue is that we're not certain at all about that.

Name me one player we are 100% sure about. If you can name me the Pass Rusher who is a lock to be the next Reggie White, the WR who is assured to be the Next Mega/Dez, or the QB who is destined to be the next Johnny Unitas, IM all for it.

But considering the fact that we do in fact need both an OT and an OG, and we ALL should be tired of marching out a bunch of fat men in tights that couldnt block my 101 year old grand mother consistently, the concept of taking what most consider to be the best O-lineman in the draft 3-5 slots higher than we THINK he should be taken should in fact be a no brainer.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name me one player we are 100% sure about. If you can name me the Pass Rusher who is a lock to be the next Reggie White, the WR who is assured to be the Next Mega/Dez, or the QB who is destined to be the next Johnny Unitas, IM all for it.

But considering the fact that we do in fact need both an OT and an OG, and we ALL should be tired of marching out a bunch of fat men in tights that couldnt block my 101 year old grand mother consistently, the concept of taking what most consider to be the best O-lineman in the draft 3-5 slots higher than we THINK he should be taken should in fact be a no brainer.

Nobody is a sure thing, but when you've got the #5 pick, there are certain well-established paramaters and protocols you use when selecting folks that high. For instance, you never would draft a kicker with that pick. EVER. While an OG is a position that's much more important, you'd better be close to 100% certain about selecting someone with that pick. Why? Because NO ONE has ever done that. If you're going to make history with a pick, you'd better be looking at as close to a sure thing as you can.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is a sure thing, but when you've got the #5 pick, there are certain well-established paramaters and protocols you use when selecting folks that high. For instance, you never would draft a kicker with that pick. EVER. While an OG is a position that's much more important, you'd better be close to 100% certain about selecting someone with that pick. Why? Because NO ONE has ever done that. If you're going to make history with a pick, you'd better be looking at as close to a sure thing as you can.

Point taken, and I think Scherff is is about as close to a sure thing as this team can get that will have an impact not only on the Sports Center Highlights, but more so in his effect on the entire offense. I would rather draft a guy at five that I pretty much know can start on our o-line, than a guy that Im hoping can make an impact on the defense by week nine. If we didnt have a bunch of over priced backups on the right side of the O-line I might feel different. But reality is, if Im talking the difference between the 5th and the 9th pick, and I can solidify my teams biggest weakness... well pass rusher can wait.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then where we disagree is on the whole Lesser player front. I happen to think Schreff or Peat would be the equal player and worthy of the pick.

Wait wait wait. We have been arguing for a month now if the Redskins should take Schreff at 5 even if he is rated higher on their board simply to fill a need. It really doesn't matter how you rate them, this has been the discussion.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i could care less about history . the only things that needs to be discussed is do you think he can be an elite player at the position you draft him and is he the BPA at the position of need . if we select a pass rusher the same standard needs to be applied

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i could care less about history . the only things that needs to be discussed is do you think he can be an elite player at the position you draft him and is he the BPA at the position of need . if we select a pass rusher the same standard needs to be applied

Assessment of each particular player is obviously paramount. But you can't tell me history is irrelevant as a factor in your draft calculus. If you're going to set a major historical precedent, you'd better make sure your crystal ball is awfully clear when doing so. There's a reason why the top five picks have featured a select number of positions historically speaking. And that historical lesson is hardly something to sneeze at when you've got such a high pick.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me preface what I'm going to say with the fact that I completely agree that RT and RG are the two biggest needs on this team and that Scherff would be great in filling a huge need on this team. Having said that, it doesn't make sense to make history by taking a guard at #5. The only way I'd bend on that is if someone has a crystal ball and can see if he's the next Larry Allen. Based on my hypothetical and on conventional (McClougan) draft wisdom, you take the BPA that fits a need. And that would be one of the OLBs. This is NOT a splash-based pick but one dictated by the circumstances we're faced with. Because we're probably going to be faced with this, my position is that we trade down to get more picks and to select someone like a Scherff, Peat or other o-lineman with the first rounder we eventually get.

Exactly. The Skins need to fill both positions. It would be best to take the best rated player at the spot they have. Pass rushing is just as crucial as blocking. Neither are luxuries.