• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Mock Draft

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In years past, I would have posted several of these by this point in time. However, with the blasé return of Marvin et al...along with the daily grind of work, etc. I just haven't felt the motivation. As we are now just mere days away I have that flicker of optimism (sucker) and want to at least somewhat care again. We've been hurt before, why stop now?

That setup leads to a draft haul that I hope will put a team together that makes us enjoyable and not a chore to watch in the Fall. Mock is semi-serious with Bengalized cynicism mixed in. So, here ya go...

1st round pick - 21st overall - Mike McGlinchey (OT - Notre Dame)

I have seen him mocked before and after this pick but I hope our Right Tackle of the now is available here. PFF has him graded as the top run blocking OT in the draft and with Cory Glenn added to the left side, the offensive line could be set for some time...kinda what they hoped would happen in 2015 with first and second round picks (Ogbuehi and Fisher). This hopefully fixes that disaster. However, more work to do up front which bring me to our next pick.

2nd round pick - 46th overall - Frank Ragnow (C - Arkansas)

If McGlinchey is off the board in the first round when the Bengals pick, I think they take either Billy Price or James Daniels at #21. In my mock though, we take the third "best" Center available (PFF has Ragnow far and away #1 at this position group) here at the 46th pick. Bodine will be getting his shit packed in up in Buffalo and hopefully after too many years to count of him and Ghiaciuc/Cook before him...we can finally replace Richie Braham. It's only been since 2006 that we've been trying to fix this situation. If we could get him and McGlinchey in the first two picks, I would be more than happy and will be able to stomach their eventual reach for a player with upside that we will play out of position with the coveted third round pick they got as compensation for Zeitler leaving. Before that pick though, it's our regular 3rd round pick...

3rd round pick - 77th overall - Tim Settle (DT - Virginia Tech)

Andrew Billings is justifying his slide in the 2016 draft where everyone couldn't believe that he fell to us. Last year kind of showed why. I'm not ready to give up on him yet but he hardly proved he deserves a spot on the roster. With the addition of Chris Baker at DT on a one year deal allows for him to be a rotational guy with a chance to take over as a starter next year or perhaps supplants him by midseason. Last year's pick of Ryan Glasgow kind of flashed at times but there is a need for improvement along the defensive line. Tim Settle is 6'3", 329 lbs and produced in college. Plus he has potential conditioning problems which makes this pick a slam dunk for the Bengals.

3rd round pick (compensatory) - 100th overall - Orlando Brown (OT - Oklahoma)

Thought to be a first rounder until his disasterous NFL Combine performance. If he is here, the Bengals will have to roll the dice based on his college production alone. Getting him teamed back up with Joe Mixon might prove dividends if he finds himself on the field. This would be another boom or bust type pick that the Bengals like to tease us with every year. The Dontay Moch/Margus Hunt of this year's draft.

4th round pick - 112th overall - Darius Leonard (LB - South Carolina State)

I hate to wait this long to address our second worse position group but the offensive line is that bad. Anyway, the Bengals get a small school player that was highly productive at that level. He can backup the WLB spot and play special teams. Will need to bulk up and all that other draftnik speak.

5th round pick - 151st overall - Azeem Victor (LB - Washington)

Doubling down with back to back LB picks. They can't roll out Nickerson, Bell, and company in place of Burfict. The latter and his annual 4 game suspension necessitates multiple picks at the position. Plus, our LB's not name Vontaze or Preston kind of suck. I don't count Lawson as a true LB. He's the shit.

Azeem Victor || The Destroyer || Official 2016-17 Washington Highlights ᴴᴰ

5th round pick - 158th overall - Godwin Igwebuike (S - Northwestern)

Another position group that has been underwhelming. Iloka is good for an occasional 15 year helmet to helmet hit and maybe a pick or two that bounces off of five people before settling into his hands but that's about it. Shawn Williams has largely disappeared since his large contract extension. Those are your starters and last line of defense. The fact that the Bengals aggressively (at least for them) pursued Safeties in the second market of free agency shows that they are looking for an upgrade. They might pull the trigger on a Safety long before this pick but I have them taking this player with a name that is hard to pronounce. Lapham will have a hernia if both Igwebuike and Fejedelem are on the field together.

Godwin Igwebuike "Time Is Now" ||| Official 2016 Highlight Reel

5th round pick (compensatory) - 170th overall - Jeremiah Briscoe (QB - Sam Houston State)

Here is the AJ McCarron replacement...taken about the same place as AJ back in 2014. Briscoe is 6'3", 225 project that they can stash with some NFI situation and then lose him with little to no compensation years down the road. Some cycles can't be stopped overnight. Briscoe can be developed under new QB coach Alex Van Pelt or he can fade out like Jeff Rowe. They need to draft a QB at some point and barring a slide earlier in the draft, we can take one here.

Jeremiah Briscoe (Sam Houston QB) vs Incarnate Word 2016

7th round pick - 249th overall - Darren Carrington (WR - Utah)

Because the Bengals seemingly can't go a draft without taking a WR. Destined for the practice squad.

Darren Carrington || "Most Underrated WR in Pac-12" ᴴᴰ || Utah Highlights

7th round pick (compensatory) - 252nd overall - Viane Talamaivao (OG - USC)

I like (don't love) our OG on the roster better than most and hopefully we can address it earlier in the draft. In mine, we take this one here.

Viane Talamaivao (USC OG) vs Oregon 2016

7th round pick (compensatory) -253rd overall - Dee Delaney (CB - Miami)

I'm sure we will take a CB before this pick but it's so not a need...despite what Hobspin says.

Miami defensive back Dee Delaney's full 2018 NFL Scouting Combine workout

Overview - This draft will help to wash away the disaster of 2015 draft that was littered with busts. TE will be a priority college free agent situation but they are going to have to more than likely ride with Eifert, Kroft and Uzomah for one more year. Eifert will either be out of the league next year due to injury or play his way into a fat contract elsewhere. Kroft and Uzomah are in contract years...with hopefully the Bengals extending the former at some point. And there's always Mason Schreck! *sigh*. Offensive line has to be the primary focus multiple times. Ogbuehi and Fisher can grind it out for backup spots behind Glenn and (hopefully) McGlinchey.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it.

However, with that said, if we are going to get "lucky" and nab Orlando Brown with pick 100 (although I realize lucky is relative to him being worth anything in the pros), then I would be more interested in grabbing OG Will Hernandez with the 1st pick.

#1 - OG Will Hernandez
#2 - OC Frank Ragnow
#3a - DT Tim Settle
#3b - RT Orlando Brown (move him to RT to compete with Hart and possibly Fisher)

Those 4 picks should solidify the lines pretty good with Willis moving in opposite Dunlap, and Cordy Glenn anchoring LT.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also like Mike White or Kyle Lauletta a bit better than Briscoe at QB. Think both might be available in the 5th round.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good lord, what the hell happened to Brown? They have a strength coach at OU, no?

I'd be happy with the first 4 picks (maybe not Brown, but that's some serious value based on production). I don't know much about any of the prospects, so I'll trust what you say. I also like that you factored in the Bengals draft strategy - Picking guys that are projects, disappointments or don't really like football enough at this point. Sounds about right.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lap announced his prediction for the 21st pick. We all know he knows his shit.

Frank Ragnow C/Arkansas

I’m all for a C. By far the biggest need for the Bengals. Has been for a decade. I really like Frank Ragnow. I don’t think he has the upside James Daniels has, but still a solid pick.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my question.... Are 3 centers really going to be off the board before we pick in the 2nd round? If the three top centers are too close to call, doesn't it make sense to roll the dice that one of them slips to the 2nd round? I like Query's mock here because of this reason. Maybe we can get something of value in the first round - Like a corner (just kidding).

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my question.... Are 3 centers really going to be off the board before we pick in the 2nd round? If the three top centers are too close to call, doesn't it make sense to roll the dice that one of them slips to the 2nd round? I like Query's mock here because of this reason. Maybe we can get something of value in the first round - Like a corner (just kidding).

I really don’t see McGlinchey being there at 21. After that, the tackle group drops off substantially. Unless they want to reach on someone like Kolton Miller. After the disaster with Ced, I can’t see the Bengals staff trying the upside thing again.

That leaves C, and maybe interior DL if someone falls. They aren’t taking a LB, Hobs and Jim O. have already said as much. I don’t see a S prospect at 21 that fits what the Bengals are looking for. It feels a little early to draft a C at 21, but at this point it makes the most sense. It’s the biggest hole on the team. There’s nobody else that’s a no brainer that fills a need.

Of course we all know what will actually happen. The Bengals will take “BPA” (which around here means CB, WR, or reach for a Tackle), and miss out on all the centers by 46, then end up with the next Bodine in the 4th.

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lap announced his prediction for the 21st pick. We all know he knows his shit.

Frank Ragnow C/Arkansas

I’m all for a C. By far the biggest need for the Bengals. Has been for a decade. I really like Frank Ragnow. I don’t think he has the upside James Daniels has, but still a solid pick.

Well there ya go. Perhaps I undervalued him a bit. Just seems the buzz on him has been minimal up until the last few weeks. The Bengals will have an interesting predicament if a high caliber player slides down to them at #21. They might have to get creative (gasp!) and move around if they pass on Center at #21 and then there is a run on them.

We ain't the only team in need of an anchor on the line.