• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN 16 Contenders

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so. But it isn't like the guys they lost were world beaters. The can't get much worse on defense. I am not sold on UCLA just yet.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so. But it isn't like the guys they lost were world beaters. The can't get much worse on defense. I am not sold on UCLA just yet.

What do you mean? All of those guys guys on offense and defense that I listed that they lost were their best players, their very best players. The only one they didn't lose from last year in that category is Jaleen Strong. You could maybe make a case for Taylor Kelly too, but I personally think he's overrated which pains me to say because he's a Boise boy.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabanator, curious on your reasoning on UCLA. Why do you think they will win PAC?

What strengths do they have that make you believe they go 12-1?

I don't see UCLA going 12-1 either.

The biggest threats on their schedule are:

@Texas - I think it's technically a "neutral site" game, but it's in Arlington, so I'm pretty sure there will be a couple more folks in burnt orange than powder blue.

@ASU - this is their next game after the Texas game, but they do have a bye week in between.

Oregon - they weren't able to solve the Ducks with Barr and Zumwalt, not sure that changes without them.

@Washington - this game is very dangerous. It's a home game for the Huskies and by this time, they should be adjusted to Coach Petersen's system, etc. and playing at their best.

Then, after a bye week, they get:

USC and Stanford in consecutive weeks. I just don't see how they make it through those 6 games without at least 2 losses and possibly 3 or 4.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU's defense has been completely gutted. They lost Sutton, Bradford, Irahbor, Darby, Coleman, Young, you name it - all of their stars basically. Only Fiso at LB and Randle at safety return for the defense, pretty much the two weakest starters on the defense last year no less. The offense lost multiple linemen, starting with four year starter Evan Finkenberg, the TE Chris Coyle who could really run and stretch the field, and most of the receivers with the exception of Jaleen Strong who I'll admit is an absolute stud. The remaining receivers behind him are absolutely horrible, I mean pathetically terrible so they better hope the JC kid coming in Eric Lauderdale is the baller he's expected to be and stays healthy, otherwise they are screwed in the passing game. Taylor Kelly returns, but his all-everything back who was a touchdown machine in Marion Grice does not. DJ Foster, last year's back up will have to pick up the slack.

I'm a season ticket holder and I see ASU starting in the top 25, most likely top 20 but will be pretty much shocked if they end up there. Graham is one hell of a coach, but they have just been drilled with personnel losses going into 2014. I see them finishing third behind UCLA and USC.

The OL will be better. Finkenberg was steady, but far from irreplaceable. Koebensky wound up being sort of subpar at Center. Westerman being eligible is a big deal.

If Foster isn't fine with the increased load, he'll just stay at the slot. They recruited 3 RBs for a reason, and Deantre Lewis is still there. I kind of expect him to go out with a bang.

The receivers should be better than last year, unless you think Ozier was good. Smith was talented, but dropped more than he caught. He had the yips for like half the season. Losing him to transfer isn't a huge thing, and he'll probably be better off at Boise. The rest of the people expected to play at WR besides Lauderdale (Cameron Smith, Ellis Jefferson and Ronald Lewis) were all freshmen or redshirted altogether, but they're significantly more talented than their predecessors. Jefferson physically is basically a Strong clone.

If you're a season ticket holder, you know De'Marieya Nelson will be fine replacing Coyle at H-Back

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU's defense has been completely gutted. They lost Sutton, Bradford, Irahbor, Darby, Coleman, Young, you name it - all of their stars basically. Only Fiso at LB and Randle at safety return for the defense, pretty much the two weakest starters on the defense last year no less. The offense lost multiple linemen, starting with four year starter Evan Finkenberg, the TE Chris Coyle who could really run and stretch the field, and most of the receivers with the exception of Jaleen Strong who I'll admit is an absolute stud. The remaining receivers behind him are absolutely horrible, I mean pathetically terrible so they better hope the JC kid coming in Eric Lauderdale is the baller he's expected to be and stays healthy, otherwise they are screwed in the passing game. Taylor Kelly returns, but his all-everything back who was a touchdown machine in Marion Grice does not. DJ Foster, last year's back up will have to pick up the slack.

I'm a season ticket holder and I see ASU starting in the top 25, most likely top 20 but will be pretty much shocked if they end up there. Graham is one hell of a coach, but they have just been drilled with personnel losses going into 2014. I see them finishing third behind UCLA and USC.

I wouldn't be surprised with a 1, 2 or 3 finish in the south from ASU. If I had to put money down right now I'd say second behind UCLA. Like you said a lot of question marks on defense, they managed to fill some holes with JUCO transfers but it remains to be seen if they'll be able to adjust to the D1 game by week 5.

I do disagree strongly that Fiso and Randall were the two worst players on last years defense. Anthony Jones who played the Spur LB position was the weak link of the LB corps and I actually think that's one position that will get an upgrade next season. Randall IMO was the second best player in the secondary last season behind Irabor and he was hurt for the first 4 games. He was one of the few bright spots on defense in the spring.

WABLTY summed up the offense pretty well, I will say that the WR position will finally have some depth for the first time in Graham's tenure unless every single incoming recruit/redshirt freshman turns out to be a bust. The one I'm most excited for is Ellis Jefferson who actually beat out Strong for the #1 WR role last fall but got hurt right before the season started and had to redshirt. There's also JC transfer De'Chavon Hayes who's listed at RB but was recruited by Oklahoma to play slot WR. I don't know how his hands are but he does have the speed to get open in the slot and run for big yards on jet sweeps.

Last edited by a moderator:

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are the sexy pick for people who don't follow the PAC. I see the losses of Barr and Zumwalt as devastating for that defense. Zumwalt is a prick, but damn, he was the heart of that def.

Their o line is horrid. A good improvement there and they are then a decent line.

Hundley turns the ball over way too much for a 12-1 record.

I see ASU > UCLA again. SC may be better than UCLA this season also in PAC south.

What scared me about the UCLA game next year after I recently watched a replay of last year's game is that ASU won by absolutely dominating their inexperienced O-line in the trenches. Unless they have just as many injuries this season UCLA's O-line can't get worse and ASU will not be able sack Hundley 10 times again.

ASU's offense can match scores with them but they have to find a way to force turnovers.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Wisky and UNC? I want some of dem drugs you takin... lol.

Wisky has a fg holder for a qb in Stave and UNC lost their 2 best players on offense.

Just my opinion man. I still got a little less than 100 days to change my opinion. Until then, its an educated guess.

mutiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys can keep sleeping on Mizzou, this team will contend for the SEC Title

Our DL is going to be nasty, the LB's have more depth and speed and the Secondary now has depth. The offense will be very solid. Darius White will have a big year at WR, watch out for Morgan Steward at RB.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, here's the point; The Big 12 would be weak if Oklahoma and Texas were doing their jobs. And because Mack completely stopped coaching god knows when, and Bob took a 4 year vacation, isn't any reason to accept that.

Looks like Bob decided to start coaching again and Texas has something new to hope for. Oklahoma overrated at preseason #5, yeah probably, but that's what happens when you actually beat somebody.

All it takes to go undefeated in this conference is a good defense. Something we might have this year, maybe.

good points

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas plays three on the list: UCLA, Oklahoma and Baylor.

Not really sure what to think about this year, but I'm really liking the way Charlie Strong is doing things. Guess we'll see what it turns into. Bring on the season!

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabanator, curious on your reasoning on UCLA. Why do you think they will win PAC?

What strengths do they have that make you believe they go 12-1?

QB-returning
OL-returning
WR-returning
RB-returning

Most of the defense is returning. They were young last year and still won 10 games. They'll be better this year. If they want to make a run, now is the time.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB-returning
OL-returning
WR-returning
RB-returning

Most of the defense is returning. They were young last year and still won 10 games. They'll be better this year. If they want to make a run, now is the time.

From a team that rranked 38th on offense and 54th on defense.
everyone wants to rip on Oregon about its run D but ignore that UCLA was actually worse against the run.

even with improvement i think you are still looking at a 10 win at most team.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time envisioning UCLA going through @Texas, @ASU, Oregon, USC, @Washington and Stanford 5-1 or 6-0. They will be good, just don't see some monster season from them where they slip into the playoffs. Nice team and all. They just seem sort of... soft. If that makes sense. Maybe they toughened up since last year.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time envisioning UCLA going through @Texas, @ASU, Oregon, USC, @Washington and Stanford 5-1 or 6-0. They will be good, just don't see some monster season from them where they slip into the playoffs. Nice team and all. They just seem sort of... soft. If that makes sense. Maybe they toughened up since last year.

I'm just hoping ASU can live up to some hype for once, JUST ONCE!!! Fuck's sake '96 was a long time ago. It's time to get back to those days!

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just hoping ASU can live up to some hype for once, JUST ONCE!!! Fuck's sake '96 was a long time ago. It's time to get back to those days!

Yeah, it's really hard to jump on their bandwagon with all of the late season melt downs they have had in recent years. You look at their talent and keep thinking they are on the verge of going over the top and yet every year something happens and they never quite reach the potential you saw in them.

I'd love to see them finally break though and not just make it as a speed bump for a north team in the CCG, but actually have a banner year and be a real threat.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's really hard to jump on their bandwagon with all of the late season melt downs they have had in recent years. You look at their talent and keep thinking they are on the verge of going over the top and yet every year something happens and they never quite reach the potential you saw in them.

I'd love to see them finally break though and not just make it as a speed bump for a north team in the CCG, but actually have a banner year and be a real threat.

At least with Graham these last two years I'm confident that if we lose a game it's because the other team was just better than us and not like the previous coaching staffs who consistently got outcoached or lost close games due to a lack of discipline and ended up losing control of their teams by the end of the season. Give the 2011 ASU team a competent coaching staff and they mop the floor with the 2013 team.

Other than the bowl game last year for the most part Graham has won the games he should win and done a good job in toss up games.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think ASU has too much hype to live up to. A few of the sabermetrics types think they'll still be rated highly, but most of the poll types will probably leave them unranked to start. Which is fine.