• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Epley-Performance Testing

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in the brand new lab never used once before this year:L

from the article:
Epley did provide, however, a printout with the top five Index scores from the Nebraska volleyball team — which Epley said was the most overall athletically talented team on campus. NU plays in the final four this weekend, and three of those players — Amber Rolfzen, Cecilia Hall and Kadie Rolfzen — scored in the 1,800s. Two more — Briana Holman and Kelly Hunter — scored in the 1,700s. Hunter was lifter of the year last season.

In other words, Nebraska had as many volleyball players score above 1,800 as football players.

Boyd Epley's bringing back the Peformance Index and weighing in on the Husker football talent discussion

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just came to post this. That is an amazing read. Hopefully we can get back on track.

Oh, does anyone want to guess what the worst position group was?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hope the coaches are selling Epley.

Inform the recruits about Epley. Inform them that he is the father of Strength and Conditioning programs and about everything he's done toward the development of athletes. The walls of Memorial Stadium are full of them.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is a good read.

“If we could stop the world and let Mark go develop these guys for a year and a half, I think we would be right back where we need to be,” Epley said. “That’s about how far off we are. About a year and a half of development. ... I like Mark. I think he’s a great guy. His attitude and demeanor is very encouraging for me to work with.”

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read. Very encouraging to see these areas are getting recognized as nRedington fixed. It's very encouraging.
We are now seeing the results of an egocentric individual being in charge who refused to take input from anyone. To have somebody like Epley and not use them. That is just ridiculous.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just came to post this. That is an amazing read. Hopefully we can get back on track.

Oh, does anyone want to guess what the worst position group was?

Before I read the link, I will take one wild ass guess. For me Epley was always Offensive Line back in the day, so I will go offensive line. Although, it could be linebackers.

My guess, OFFENSIVE LINE.

Now I will go read the article.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Crap,

20 football players scored 900 or BELOW. WTF? These are 18 to 22 year olds. Prime physical condition. Young and limber.

They can't jump, they can't run 10 yards, and they have no balance? I am pretty sure that even in my advanced age with 30 days of training I could score well over 900. I know that in my prime physical condition I might have been able to push 1500.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Crap,

20 football players scored 900 or BELOW. WTF? These are 18 to 22 year olds. Prime physical condition. Young and limber.

They can't jump, they can't run 10 yards, and they have no balance? I am pretty sure that even in my advanced age with 30 days of training I could score well over 900. I know that in my prime physical condition I might have been able to push 1500.
It's not just a straight number score. There are other factors involved, like size, gender, etc. Having that many below 900 is ridiculous though. He said that would be a good baseline number for walk-ons coming into the program.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I read the link, I will take one wild ass guess. For me Epley was always Offensive Line back in the day, so I will go offensive line. Although, it could be linebackers.

My guess, OFFENSIVE LINE.

Now I will go read the article.

Yep

Eply's big thing back in the day was the one or two seconds of burst from the O-line. How fast they ran a 40 was meaningless.

Last edited:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Crap,

Looks like they are going to start vetting recruits with his index. :thumb:

They might look good on tape against fellow high schooler's, but are out of their element when placed among their next level peers. That leads to a roster full of dead weight.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to wonder if our in state kids and ones from camps that test well would come out with an offer just based on testing, rather than letting them sign with fcs because the best we could do was a preferred walk on spot

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just a straight number score. There are other factors involved, like size, gender, etc. Having that many below 900 is ridiculous though. He said that would be a good baseline number for walk-ons coming into the program.
Which means we have 20 schollies being wasted to kids that are out of shape either because of our s&c or not doing the work they should be.

Almost 25%

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which means we have 20 schollies being wasted to kids that are out of shape either because of our s&c or not doing the work they should be.

Almost 25%
I believe the numbers include walk ons as well, but I'd wager there is definitely scholarship guys among them. Either way, 900 was where walk ons should START and gain 100-200 per year.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes sense. So was it Dobson / Bo, or is it Philip/Riley or the players? My guess is a combination. There is bound to be a learning curve for Philip put if he is open to Epley's knowledge I would think it will be pretty hard not to succeed.

I can see a big thing to being motivating kids these days but if volleyball can do it...

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes sense. So was it Dobson / Bo, or is it Philip/Riley or the players? My guess is a combination. There is bound to be a learning curve for Philip put if he is open to Epley's knowledge I would think it will be pretty hard not to succeed.

I can see a big thing to being motivating kids these days but if volleyball can do it...
Hard to put it on Philipp...he'd been here a whopping 9 months when they tested the most recent time. It has more to do with what you are bringing in to start with. Epley even said in the article that they work hard, they just don't have it physically.

sandhill_husker

Huskers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hope the coaches are selling Epley.

Inform the recruits about Epley. Inform them that he is the father of Strength and Conditioning programs and about everything he's done toward the development of athletes. The walls of Memorial Stadium are full of them.

Popping in to say one Coach is doing exactly that, and it worked.

“We got (senior associate AD for academics) Dennis Leblanc to come in after New Year's and (assistant athletic director for strength and conditioning) Boyd Epley,” Cook said. “Kadie and Amber (Rolfzen) had a roommate who left to join a sorority, so they had an open room and that worked out great. Everything kind of fell into place.

“Dennis and Boyd were huge. I’m talking huge in her recruitment here.”

NU volleyball: Team effort helped get first-team All-American to Nebraska : Latest Husker News

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Popping in to say one Coach is doing exactly that, and it worked.

“We got (senior associate AD for academics) Dennis Leblanc to come in after New Year's and (assistant athletic director for strength and conditioning) Boyd Epley,” Cook said. “Kadie and Amber (Rolfzen) had a roommate who left to join a sorority, so they had an open room and that worked out great. Everything kind of fell into place.

“Dennis and Boyd were huge. I’m talking huge in her recruitment here.”

NU volleyball: Team effort helped get first-team All-American to Nebraska : Latest Husker News

I was referring to football, but that's good.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed. seems like a good selling point. still can't believe Bo wasn't using this resource.