• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eifert

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 'great right guard' you have penciled in for the season might have already been benched after 2 days of practice. While it seems good on paper to have a dynamite run blocker like Smith line up at guard, I'm afraid it won't even come close to working in actual practice. Total Bengal move to bank on moving a guy rather than developing, acquiring or re-signing real talent at the position.

As for offensive talent. The only real established playmakers are Green, Eifert and Bernard. I think we're all done with counting on Eifert. Bernarnd is coming off an ACL. Green is awesome - No issue there. Ross and Mixon need to play to show anything and don't count on it with Marvin and the boys. LaFell is just another guy. Boyd is a nice slot receiver. Hill is garbage.

If healthy, the defense will be good..... But their numbers won't show it if our offense can't maintain possessions. And that's not a given with our O-line.

Schedule is super weak.

It feels like a 7 to 8 win season simply because we've swung and missed on some recent line prospects.

If the line surprises (like 2009), I could see this team easily coasting to 10 or more wins. But I don't see that happening.

There was no benching of Smith. They just want to see what they have in Trey Hopkins as they line him up across from Atkins and Billings to see how he holds up. They said Smith is the starter and while he is adjusting to the position, he has done just fine. He is still a concern obviously for us as fans, but I honestly think our biggest weakness on the line is Bodine, and he is in a contract year, so I like how that plays to our advantage if he has a contract type year.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith ran with the 2nd team at RT as a way to get work in for other guys. The line is not only a huge question mark, but the depth is also an issue. If guys don't get some reps in, they are not going to have a chance to be ready.

Not to mention, if something happens at RT (Fisher injury, sucks), they've talked about swinging Smith back out to RT. If that is truly the way they will go, then they need to get Smith reps at RT as well as other guys reps at RG.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are reading too much Hobs..... Smith was either taking reps at RT because Fisher sucks or because Smith sucks at guard.

How often did Whit take snaps at guard in preseason? A position he could be forced into with injuries.... None. Never. Not done. Smith doesn't know RG.... He does know RT.... There is no reason for him to lose reps (just for depth) unless there is concern.

Again.... You're talking about a guy that has played tackle his entire career (and college) switching in the 9th year of his career. And this isn't a serious concern?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say serious concern, but a concern, yes. However, I truly believe that they are getting guys reps across the board because you need to see what you have. What if Smith sucks? Be nice to know that Hopkins can step in and do a decent job against NFL starters, wouldn't it? If he can handle his own against Atkins and Billings, I am pretty sure he can handle most NFL DT's. They should do that same with all the backups. If you never practice the backups against starters, how do you know how they will stand up? I am hoping this is just one example of many of these to come this spring training / preseason time.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are reading too much Hobs..... Smith was either taking reps at RT because Fisher sucks or because Smith sucks at guard.

How often did Whit take snaps at guard in preseason? A position he could be forced into with injuries.... None. Never. Not done. Smith doesn't know RG.... He does know RT.... There is no reason for him to lose reps (just for depth) unless there is concern.

Again.... You're talking about a guy that has played tackle his entire career (and college) switching in the 9th year of his career. And this isn't a serious concern?
And on the flip side of that, I think you are trying too hard to just complain about it.

With whit, he was already established at LT. Yes, and injury could have moved him inside, but he was THE starting LT with no real concern of flux in the line, really, up until last year. This year is a lot different, and they need everyone to be ready to shift a lot more readily than before. Especially with the lack of depth they have this year on OL.

Is it ideal? No, of course not. It would be great if Fisher came out and just blew everyone away with improvement at RT and Smith at RG, but the reality is, there are still a lot of growing pains to go through. Hopefully it works out, but ultimately, it is what it is.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And while he may not have taken snaps in pre-season, he did take snaps during the regular season during practice at guard.

Whitworth reps at LG in place of Boling, who misses Wednesday practice as do 4 others

So, it's not like it never happened at all.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And on the flip side of that, I think you are trying too hard to just complain about it.

With whit, he was already established at LT. Yes, and injury could have moved him inside, but he was THE starting LT with no real concern of flux in the line, really, up until last year. This year is a lot different, and they need everyone to be ready to shift a lot more readily than before. Especially with the lack of depth they have this year on OL.

Is it ideal? No, of course not. It would be great if Fisher came out and just blew everyone away with improvement at RT and Smith at RG, but the reality is, there are still a lot of growing pains to go through. Hopefully it works out, but ultimately, it is what it is.

I don't think I'm complaining enough. Lots of talent on this team will go to waste if they have one of the worst lines in the league. So far the results have not been promising. Let's see how they look when the practice games start.... But I'm not optimistic.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if I'm wrong, I'll go all J-Will style and be here. You feeln' me? Smuck.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think I'm complaining enough. Lots of talent on this team will go to waste if they have one of the worst lines in the league. .

If the rookies play up to their potential it can be the best group of skill players in Bengals history and right there with Pittsburgh as the best group in the league. It'll be frustrating to see it ruined by poor line play, especially after letting their best two OL leave in the offseason.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I'm complaining enough. Lots of talent on this team will go to waste if they have one of the worst lines in the league. So far the results have not been promising. Let's see how they look when the practice games start.... But I'm not optimistic.
My point about the complaining wasn't directed about the line as a whole. It was about the fact that Andre worked at backup RT and the other guy getting 1st team reps at RG. Complaining because guys got moved around so other players get looks is trying real hard to find something to complain about on a line that is already easy enough to complain about with just the ability of the starters being in high question.

Feel me? Fool.