• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: ECF: 2) Boston Celtics vs 8) Miami Heat

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this series different with Udoka as the coach? I know the coach does not undo Tatum getting hurt, but overall how is the series impacted? I think Udoka is far closer to Spoelstras level.

Coaching would definitely be part of it and there were definitely times where Mazzulla looked like he was over his skis.

But the lack of energy, focus and continuing to shoot 3's when they're not falling is a lot on the players. Especially the energy and focus.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching would definitely be part of it and there were definitely times where Mazzulla looked like he was over his skis.

But the lack of energy, focus and continuing to shoot 3's when they're not falling is a lot on the players. Especially the energy and focus.
I agree here, but where the team multiple times after he was let go made it clear they loved Udoka, more effort from them is a possible outcome in the series as well. Which would be a professionalism for sure. Ultimately it does not matter as what happened happened, it was just something that I thought was interesting.

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all what I said. I said he was closer to his level. I would drop it there, but based on this comment it is clear you may need some hand holding.

You see Udoka is better than Mazzula, which makes him closer to Spoelstras level, not as good. Spoelstra is elite, Udoka is very good and likely to be elite some day.

Now stick with me here, the series went to 7 games, so my assertion was a better coach for the Celtics could have changed the series. So my question was would the better coach in Boston made a difference in the series.

Good luck with your future reading comprehension.

I think with a better coach they likely dont fall down 3-0. Its probably more back and forth to a game 7, but I think the outcome would have been the same.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Heat switched a series-high 40 of 58 pick-and-rolls run by the Celtics in Game 7, holding them to a dismal 0.69 points per play. It was the first time all series Miami switched on more than half of Boston’s pick-and-rolls, per Second Spectrum. Erik Spoelstra was sitting on this defense for when he needed it most, and Boston’s offense had no answer."

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's both.

Charles Barkley said before the game that the Heat couldn't win the game, but the Celtics sure could give it to them.

While it wasn't quite that simple, it's basically what happened.

The Celtics pretty much came out flat and the Heat took full advantage.
I don't think it's as simple as "came out flat" which seems to be the reason for many losses. I mean, they started the game with a 9-4 run if memory serves. Miss shots does not mean flat. Teams also look like they have energy when they play better and not the other way around.

Now I do happen to agree with Chuck's criticism at halftime in that the Cs do not seem to pass the ball around enough (or at least quick enough). Too many look to get their shot before they give it up it seems. But Miami also played exceptional D.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't read much of the ingame or after talk, but hopefully more is crediting Miami as opposed to blaming players or the coaches on the Cs.

Hats off to Miami for a well played game after such a terrible outcome in Game 6.

Nah.

Celtics lost this one

Miami is tough

But the talent disparity is just wide

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Heat switched a series-high 40 of 58 pick-and-rolls run by the Celtics in Game 7, holding them to a dismal 0.69 points per play. It was the first time all series Miami switched on more than half of Boston’s pick-and-rolls, per Second Spectrum. Erik Spoelstra was sitting on this defense for when he needed it most, and Boston’s offense had no answer."

Lol i dont know why boston wasn't ready for this. Miami switches a lot and once love/zeller was removed from the rotation, this was the direction they were heading

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont even know what boston needs to do.

They, in theory, have all the pieces.

But it just doesn't work.

These last 2 years and the bubble were all just blown opportunities.

It's entirely possible this group just never gets it done.

Part of that is danny wasting a ton of draft capital, never making that next big swing.

Part of it is just....these dudes are charmin soft

But where to go from here?

I'm really not sure.

It would be a mistake to blow up the roster.

They need to go get a good, experienced coach.

Like Monte Williams. Even brining back Doc would be an upgrade.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's a tough one.

It doesn't feel like it's just a coaching issue but maybe that's part of it.

But at some point, the players have to have some responsibility for bringing their own effort and energy and it just seems like that too often, they don't.

Teams are too quick to blow up rosters sometimes.

Like the Rockets trading CP3 after they lost to the Warriors twice.

Be patient! You were next in line!

Celtics need a coaching change. Mazzula not the right fit. He needs a chance with a young roster that doesn’t carry expectations so that he can learn and grow on the job.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with a better coach they likely dont fall down 3-0. Its probably more back and forth to a game 7, but I think the outcome would have been the same.

Nah.

If they don’t fall down 3-0, it doesn’t get to game 7.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah.

If they don’t fall down 3-0, it doesn’t get to game 7.

They blew double digit leads in the first 2 games

I believe twice in game 2

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They clearly want a figurehead coach.

Like a 'LeBron' head coach.

Otherwise Brad Stevens would be the coach.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams are too quick to blow up rosters sometimes.

Like the Rockets trading CP3 after they lost to the Warriors twice.

Be patient! You were next in line!

Celtics need a coaching change. Mazzula not the right fit. He needs a chance with a young roster that doesn’t carry expectations so that he can learn and grow on the job.

That core has been together for like 6 years. In current day NBA years, that's like 20 years.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this series different with Udoka as the coach? I know the coach does not undo Tatum getting hurt, but overall how is the series impacted? I think Udoka is far closer to Spoelstras level.
IMO if Udoka were the coach it never gets to game 7.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think both teams should trade a role player to the Lakers. White from the Celts and Martin from the Heat would suffice. So which team wants D-Lo and which team wants Beasley?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eh...I don't know if its that simple to say if it'd be a mistake or not. The 2nd tax floor in the new CBA throws a major wrench into how teams are gonna have to construct themselves going forward. The penalties make it so that the only thing you can do is sign vet min guys. You can't even sign buy out guys or trade future picks. Boston having both Tatum and Brown (who is eligible for the supermax) on maxes, now takes up a huge chunk of your roster (as will most teams with two stars). They won't be able to keep all the people they have now and still be under that 2nd tax floor. So they really have to have serious conversations around is it worth it to keep both Brown and Tatum and how the roster is constructed vs trading Brown and exploring avenues of roster construction that way.

They're kinda in a tough spot since they have to make a decision right when this CBA stuff is so new. They're essentially gonna be the one of the first teams that has to step into that unknown. But if I were them, I'd be quietly shopping Brown to see what I could get. Ultimately, I think you probably have to re-sign him but its not as simple as "let's run this back with a better coach". The new CBA just isn't gonna allow that anymore unless an owner is cool with the harsh penalties.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
correct...and sometimes it is deemed a violation. But the idea every pull up jumper was like what Jimmy did is kooky talk.
Not a double dribble
Not a travel

You can post 2 dozen more times and you’re still going to be wrong. It’s hilarious that you can never own shit when you’re wrong.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh...I don't know if its that simple to say if it'd be a mistake or not. The 2nd tax floor in the new CBA throws a major wrench into how teams are gonna have to construct themselves going forward. The penalties make it so that the only thing you can do is sign vet min guys. You can't even sign buy out guys or trade future picks. Boston having both Tatum and Brown (who is eligible for the supermax) on maxes, now takes up a huge chunk of your roster (as will most teams with two stars). They won't be able to keep all the people they have now and still be under that 2nd tax floor. So they really have to have serious conversations around is it worth it to keep both Brown and Tatum and how the roster is constructed vs trading Brown and exploring avenues of roster construction that way.

They're kinda in a tough spot since they have to make a decision right when this CBA stuff is so new. They're essentially gonna be the one of the first teams that has to step into that unknown. But if I were them, I'd be quietly shopping Brown to see what I could get. Ultimately, I think you probably have to re-sign him but its not as simple as "let's run this back with a better coach". The new CBA just isn't gonna allow that anymore unless an owner is cool with the harsh penalties.

Ironically they have quite a few guys who are leaders in the nbpa

And surprise surprise they had no foresight into thinking that this second tax line would curb spending