• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft review

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Stomp
This is not directed toward you, but Silva. They addressed OT, DT, S, and C with what I see as four starters. At least by next season I see them all as starters.

Had they addressed LB, CB and WR early he still would be writing the same about the other positions not being addressed. Lose lose situation for BQ there.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll predict that all three O lineman are starting for us within two years.

I think it was the other Rob that said no excuses now for the OL play. I'm actually excited to see the camp battles across the line. Should not see practice squad style guys as depth anymore.

Having Schwartz, Ola, Dahl, Glasgow pushing for playing time will be huge. I will not be surprised to see two starters from last year not named Ola as a backup or at a different position.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although Robinson wasnt a bad pick, I think they should've went with Alexander there. CB was more of a pressing need, imo.

I do think Quinn took a very conservative approach with this draft. It wont look like a good draft if Glascow can't beat out Swanson and Robinson and Brew are just rotational players.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll predict that all three O lineman are starting for us within two years.

Maybe if they let Warford walk or if Tomlinson is ass cheese again this year. My money would be on the ladder before the former.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although Robinson wasnt a bad pick, I think they should've went with Alexander there. CB was more of a pressing need, imo.

I do think Quinn took a very conservative approach with this draft. It wont look like a good draft if Glascow can't beat out Swanson and Robinson and Brew are just rotational players.

I would of preferred Alexander too. Sucked ass that he went to a division rival instead.

Not completely sold on Robinson. He could be a stud, just as easily as he could be just a rotational lineman as well.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heres the grade from Evan Silva Rotoworld

Grade: C-

Detroit Lions

1 (16). Ohio State OT Taylor Decker
2 (46). Alabama DT A'Shawn Robinson
3 (95). Michigan C Graham Glasgow
4 (111). Southern Utah SS Miles Killebrew
5 (151). Washington State OG Joe Dahl
5 (169). Georgia Southern LB Antwione Williams
6 (191). Michigan QB Jake Rudock
6 (202). Penn State DL Anthony Zettel
6 (210). Baylor LS Jimmy Landes
7 (236). Washington RB Dwayne Washington

Overview: This haul also includes second-year DT Gabe Wright, whom ex-GM Martin Mayhew selected in the 2015 fourth round in exchange for parting with Detroit's 2016 third-round pick. (Wright was a bit player as a rookie.) New GM Bob Quinn knocked out a big need with his first-ever pick, bookending Riley Reiff with 2015's Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year. Albeit short on pass-rush skills, Robinson gives Detroit an immediate contributor in DC Teryl Austin's defensive line rotation. Glasgow will push ineffective C Travis Swanson to start, while Killebrew is a sneaky bet to earn early-career snaps across from FS Glover Quin. Dahl adds interior depth with OGs Laken Tomlinson andLarry Warford coming off disappointing 2015s. I wasn't a fan of Quinn's final five picks, none of whom profiled as impact NFL players in college. The Lions came out of this draft still weak at cornerback and defensive end, and with unsolved questions at wide receiver, center, strong-side linebacker, and safety.

Gabe Wright better be good this year.

Mayhew leaving us with this guy and the mosquito fucker from Brazil with 30 million guaranteed.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck it, I give him an A. Not for the names but for the philosophy.

Everyone says you gotta fix the trenches. Quinn didn't pay it lip service with only one first round pick and a late rounder. He spent an entire draft with a goal of running the ball and stopping the run. The most basic concepts of football. Even his LB and S picks are thumpers. I don't know if the actual players Quinn chose were right, but I love the idea. Honestly nobody will know what we got until a few weeks into the season.

It looked like a weak draft at the skill positions. One more reason to keep your powder dry and fill up on linemen.

Decker, Glasgow, and Dahl will help the Lions run the ball more effectively. That means the Lions will run more and Stafford will have to throw less. That means he is better protected simply by not being in a position to get hit.

I want to like A'Shawn. He has to show a ferocity that I never saw in college. He looked soft in all the games I watched. He does seem to hand a bond with his Bama teammates and that is a trait we didn't get from Fairley or Suh.

I think Killebrew is a sideline to sideline playmaker. If the Lions front is strong he can roam around the backfield making plays and tackles.

Time to let Rudock be the backup and see if he has some magic. Rudock may stink, but we already know Orlovsky is terrible.

The RB out of Washington will be a receiver for the Lions. He is fast and can catch with ease, but is not a tough runner. Probably a practice squad player.

This is a draft to set up the Lions for the long term. Competition and depth on the OL is so important for Stafford and the RBs. That is why I like this draft philosophy so much.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck it, I give him an A. Not for the names but for the philosophy.

Same here. BQ gets an A simply based on what he DIDNT do in the draft.

* No WRs or TEs
* No RBs until the 7th
* Didn't trade away any future draft picks
* Didn't take on any other teams garbage (Manny Ramirez)
* Didnt draft anyone with a huge injury "who would have gone earlier had he not gotten hurt."

Plus he fired two scouts he inherited the day after the draft, which is cold blooded. I love it.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here. BQ gets an A simply based on what he DIDNT do in the draft.

* No WRs or TEs
* No RBs until the 7th
* Didn't take on any other teams garbage (Manny Ramirez)
* Didnt draft anyone with a huge injury "who would have gone earlier had he not gotten hurt."

Plus he fired two scouts he inherited the day after the draft, which is cold blooded. I love it.

I agree, but cant give him an A. I think a B to B+ is fair. It was a solid draft but unspectacular, at least for now. My guess is some of these guys will be much better than I think they are.

I will add that he added versatile trench guys will high football IQ. Only 1 raw athlete that will need lots of development.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is most important.

Jahvid Bust, Leshoure, And VanNoy. Mayhew simply couldn't contain himself. He traded up for players nobody else wanted many times. This year BQ used all of his picks.

BQ reached into the first round for A'Shawn with his 2nd round pick. Mayhew would have taken a 4th rounder with injuries or mental problems in the 2nd.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton: My five favorite draft classes

5. Detroit Lions

I liked the way the Lions attacked the offensive line in the draft. They had a strong O-line two years ago, but play fell off dramatically last season. Taking offensive tackle Taylor Decker in the first round was a no-brainer. He's a natural at left tackle. And it's not out of the question that the Lions could have hit on two interior offensive linemen in Graham Glasgow (third round) and Joe Dahl (fifth round).

What put this draft over the top for me is defensive tackle A'Shawn Robinsondropping to them in the second round. Those four big bodies make the Lions bigger and tougher along the line of scrimmage.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranking every club's 2016 NFL Draft haul: Teams 5-8

5. Detroit Lions
Draft picks: Taylor Decker (No. 16 overall), A'Shawn Robinson (No. 46 overall), Graham Glasgow (No. 95 overall), Miles Killebrew (No. 111), Joe Dahl (No. 151), Antwione Williams(No. 169), Jake Rudock (No. 191), Anthony Zettel (No. 202), Jimmy Landes (No. 210),Dwayne Washington (No. 236)

What I like about the Lions' draft is that they came in wanting to get bigger and tougher, and they followed that plan with their first five picks. If A'Shawn Robinson can develop a pass rush, look out. This draft should produce several future starters for the Lions.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton: My five favorite draft classes

5. Detroit Lions

I liked the way the Lions attacked the offensive line in the draft. They had a strong O-line two years ago, but play fell off dramatically last season. Taking offensive tackle Taylor Decker in the first round was a no-brainer. He's a natural at left tackle. And it's not out of the question that the Lions could have hit on two interior offensive linemen in Graham Glasgow (third round) and Joe Dahl (fifth round).

What put this draft over the top for me is defensive tackle A'Shawn Robinsondropping to them in the second round. Those four big bodies make the Lions bigger and tougher along the line of scrimmage.

I would be more flattered if he did not have TB and Sea on his list. TB took a kicker in round 2. Regardless of how good he is, no other team was probably going to do that. They could have easily done it next round and had the extra 4th. Not like their roster is close to being SB contenders. Sea did OK but I would not say top 5. I had Indy, SD, KC, MIN, and some others ahead of those 2.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be more flattered if he did not have TB and Sea on his list. TB took a kicker in round 2. Regardless of how good he is, no other team was probably going to do that. They could have easily done it next round and had the extra 4th. Not like their roster is close to being SB contenders. Sea did OK but I would not say top 5. I had Indy, SD, KC, MIN, and some others ahead of those 2.

They kept tallingbough him on the radio. Even heard him mocked in the 3rd round once. So not sure you can say Tampa would have easily got him in the third. He might have still gone in the 3rd, just not to Tampa.

I'd smile SMH every time I heard them mention him that high. I guess we got to wait about 15 years to judge his career and if he was worth it?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A+

I was only going to give it an A, but when we got the best long snapper in the draft, that iced it.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A+

I was only going to give it an A, but when we got the best long snapper in the draft, that iced it.

Not even the first LS that BQ drafted. Pats drafted one in 2009. Gotta have competition at that position to keep the starters sharp, LOL.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even the first LS that BQ drafted. Pats drafted one in 2009. Gotta have competition at that position to keep the starters sharp, LOL.

He's also the closest thing to a Jim Bob. 15 year long snapper.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was the other Rob that said no excuses now for the OL play. I'm actually excited to see the camp battles across the line. Should not see practice squad style guys as depth anymore.

Having Schwartz, Ola, Dahl, Glasgow pushing for playing time will be huge. I will not be surprised to see two starters from last year not named Ola as a backup or at a different position.

Take this for what's it's worth, but Pro Football Weekly, draft mag run by ex NFL scouts, had Dahl rated as the second best G in this class. They also had Paxton Lynch as the top QB. They RAVED about ARob, acknowledging he has a ways to go as a pass rusher but said he has all the potential in the world to be a top DT in the league.