• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft pick do over

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm always dubious of defensive coaches taking a player who is amazing at something and trying to get them to play a different position in a scheme. Mark Barron is a heck of a player in the Rams system, for example, but Ogletree might totally flame out for the Rams in a year or two only to wind up on a different team and be successful somewhere else. Or maybe the Rams find they play better with a 'coverage/move' linebacker in the middle. The Rams were 21st in rush yards allowed last year...not what you'd expect from arguably a top 5 defense from a talent perspective with 5 high 1st rounders on their dline.

Yards, smards. The Rams were top 5 in red zone defense, rushing TDs allowed and passing TDs. allowed. That is what matters.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm always dubious of defensive coaches taking a player who is amazing at something and trying to get them to play a different position in a scheme. Mark Barron is a heck of a player in the Rams system, for example, but Ogletree might totally flame out for the Rams in a year or two only to wind up on a different team and be successful somewhere else. Or maybe the Rams find they play better with a 'coverage/move' linebacker in the middle. The Rams were 21st in rush yards allowed last year...not what you'd expect from arguably a top 5 defense from a talent perspective with 5 high 1st rounders on their dline.

You would think with horses of that caliber upfront the run DEF would be ranked higher. I do think that Laurinatis was past his prime...in the vein of Keith Brooking...made a lot of tackles...5 yds downfield.

I'll say...probably the best MLB in the league now is Keuchley and he's not the old school thumper either...he's got the speed to cover TEs and RBs downfield, and his DL keeps him pretty clean to fill the gap quickly against the run...the modern day benchmark for an ILB.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yards, smards. The Rams were top 5 in red zone defense, rushing TDs allowed and passing TDs. allowed. That is what matters.

Yeah, ultimately PA is what matters, but if the D is giving up 4+ a crack on the ground, it just makes play calling a lot easier for the OC...hard to beat the playoff caliber teams like that...<3 per crack and now the D is dictating the play calling more on 2 down.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny Football over Clowney

:dhd:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny Football over Clowney

:dhd:

I still contend HOU blew it on draft day...not taking the trade with ATL...the word on this side of town was ATL offered #6, a 3rd rounder, and 5th in that draft...HOU wanted more...Clowney was a square peg in HOU's round hole 3-4 DEF from day one...couple that with the injuries and whatever baggage he brought with him, it was a bad marriage...but JF...seriously?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many choices. Essentially any round where the Browns had a pick would be acceptable. I'll say a tie between the 1st round in 2012 and 2014.

2012, 1a: Trent Richardson: Should have stayed where they were and drafted Luke Kuechly at 4, though I was admittedly happy with the Richardson pick at the time.
2012, 1b: Brandon Weeden: Never have I heard such a perfect chorus line of f-bombs than at the sports bar where I was watching this draft when they announced this pick. I wanted David Decastro badly, so I'll stick with that

2014, 1a: Justin Gilbert: Easy -- STAY AT 4 AND DRAFT KHALIL MACK
2014, 1b: Johnny Manziel: Taking either Derek Carr or Bradley Roby