• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

down 3 under 7 seconds left. you have the ball

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why in the world would a coach call a timeout? you are giving the other coach an opportunity to tell his kids to foul

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what you're saying, but I don't think it's that bad.

If you don't like way things are unfolding, it gives you one last chance to get your team headed in the right direction. And while it gives the other team a chance to foul, it also increases the chance they get too overeager and commit a flagrant-1 on the inbounds (can't think of what game but I've seen it before, but I think it was back in the "intentional" days) play so you might actually get a chance for 2 plus the possession.

But yeah, if it looks like my team has a chance of getting a good shot off, I'm not calling timeout. but that's a very big "if" I'm not going to stand there and watch them dribble the clock out while they look lost.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I wouldn't call time either, I'd get the ball down the country and go for a 3 pointer.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it shouldn't matter if you think about it:

Each team should already have a plan/play in place for these exact situations.

The defensive team should know to foul without having to take a T.O. A simple play call from the sidelines, and know the game situation, and working on it in practice should take care of it.

Same for the offense...situational practice...they should have a design/set play for those exact situations.

But, you are right...at least in that it amazes me how many coaches feel like they need to take a time out to draw up a play.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it shouldn't matter if you think about it:

Each team should already have a plan/play in place for these exact situations.

The defensive team should know to foul without having to take a T.O. A simple play call from the sidelines, and know the game situation, and working on it in practice should take care of it.

Same for the offense...situational practice...they should have a design/set play for those exact situations.

But, you are right...at least in that it amazes me how many coaches feel like they need to take a time out to draw up a play.

they should but a lot of college basketball players aren't very bright.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call a TO no matter what. Call a play for a 3 pointer and be done with it. OT or bust