• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do you think any sport can overtake soccer as the richest most watched pro sport?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you can write about it all ya want but the fact is we've been told for 40 yrs it's going to be the most popular sport here and that will never ever happen. It will never even come close to hockey let alone the big 3. Wanna talk abt spare me the bullshit? What I hear is idiots saying " soccer is really big here". No it isn't. They say that becuz their 5 yr old is playing and a bunch of other 5 yr olds play. Once they turn 7 they're gone and don't come back. You guys can talk about your theories on how popular it's going to be but it's nothing more than theories/opinions and it never comes true. The fact is soccer attracts only the people who aren't athletic enough to play anything else and that's all they will ever get. It's a recipe for failure as a sport and a failure it is.

You're really ignorant on the matter.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh ok . Soccer is about as popular as a colonoscopy and I'm ignorant? Well thought out champ. BTW when is the soccer combine and draft ?I gotta make sure I tell my buddies.

Again, complete ignorance. :L

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh ok . Soccer is about as popular as a colonoscopy and I'm ignorant? Well thought out champ. BTW when is the soccer combine and draft ?I gotta make sure I tell my buddies.
Soccer players start playing professionally at like age 11. There is no draft.

Here are my thoughts on soccer ("football"):

- It is a physically demanding sport. They don't hit like American football players, but there's a lot more contact than basketball or baseball, which are popular.

- The lack of scoring is frustrating. You have to learn to appreciate other aspects of the game, but that's hard for people that haven't grown up with it (myself included). Though if you like hockey, that's not dissimilar - you can cheer for nice saves, too.

- At least the games are quick. A 90-minute game actually takes 90 minutes, give or take a couple minutes of stoppage time per half.

I prefer rugby though. Lots more scoring. It's like watching teams run the hook and lateral over and over again. Plus there's a better class of fan (at least here in the UK) and you can drink beer in your seats because they don't have the same problems with drunken hooligans.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that I don't get about the English Primere League is if you have a losing they can kick you out.

bconngemini

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that I don't get about the English Primere League is if you have a losing they can kick you out.

Promotion and relegation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its pretty much the standard for sport worldwide, not just in England. Leagues aren't static, and terrible teams don't get rewarded with sharing revenue and draft picks, but get punished by being relegated into the 2nd division. The top 3 teams from the 2nd division go into the Premier League.

bconngemini

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh ok and I'm ignorant? BTW when is the soccer combine and draft ?

There is no such thing as combine and draft in soccer, its a global free market for players and young players are signed to professional clubs by the time they hit their teens and developed in professional academies run by professional teams. So yes, you are ignorant.

Soccer is about as popular as a colonoscopy

More Americans watched the last World Cup final between European countries than watched the MLB World Series and NBA Finals. Over 111 million Americans watched at least part of that game, with 25 million watching on average.

The 24.3 million figure is the average number watching at any one time during the telecast. The Nielsen Co. estimates a total of 111.6 million viewers watched at least part of the match.

Scott D. Pierce: World Cup final reels in a multitude of viewers | Deseret News

Millions watch the Premier League on NBC, millions watch the Champions League on Fox, even the Liga MX has more TV viewers in America than the NHL does. The MLS, which is only the 4th most watched soccer league in America, just signed a $780 million deal with ESPN and ABC, and is now the 3rd highest average attendance league in America. FIFA is now the 3rd best selling video game in America.

Its 2014. Time to step out of out of 1983.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

maybe its about time you find a thread where you know even an ounce about the topic at hand...this clearly isnt it.

bconngemini

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol to Murica fags who think soccer is sissy.
The weakest NFL player would kick the ass of the strongest soccer player. That's because Americans are much more masucline and tough than non-Americans, its reflected in the culture of in how soccer (them) is played vs. football (USA).

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The weakest NFL player would kick the ass of the strongest soccer player. That's because Americans are much more masucline and tough than non-Americans, its reflected in the culture of in how soccer (them) is played vs. football (USA).

Most kickers are ex-soccer players lol.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was out with the wife last night and the chile/Australia game was on tv above my head and I didn't look up once. I would've looked up for an infomercial for a shark vacuum before soccer.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball is much more boring than soccer.....Same goes for Golf

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball is much more boring than soccer.....Same goes for Golf

Meh, all three sorta bore me to watch. Just not enough action or collision for me to get worked up. :noidea:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's understandable if you're a huge NFL fan but the fact that baseball/golf fans are shitting on soccer is hilarious considering the fact that baseball is BORING and so is golf.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's understandable if you're a huge NFL fan but the fact that baseball/golf fans are shitting on soccer is hilarious considering the fact that baseball is BORING and so is golf.

Ya, I enjoy watching Rugby live too. Those guys are hard core. No protection. I don't know the rules, but it's crazy watching them tussle.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, every 4 years I feel obligated to watch the World Cup because it's the sophisticated sport to watch but I've given up. It's way too slow of a team sport for my taste. That being said I could watch golf all day because I play it.