• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do you think any sport can overtake soccer as the richest most watched pro sport?

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball is much more boring than soccer.....Same goes for Golf

You got to appreciate the subtle things that go on in baseball to like it. It's a matter of taste though.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The weakest NFL player would kick the ass of the strongest soccer player. That's because Americans are much more masucline and tough than non-Americans, its reflected in the culture of in how soccer (them) is played vs. football (USA).

Wrong. Americans are bandwagon fans. We love every Olympic sport we do well in and hate the others. The fact is our best athletes play the sports that bring them the most money and in our country that's Football and Baseball. If Soccer was at that pay level more of those small WR/LB/RB types would likely play and we would do better in the world and the fans would be piling on.

I laugh at the pure vitriol from the non soccer fans. None of you will admit it, but if the US didn't suck ass on the international stage so hard it would rise in popularity dramatically. We love rubbing the world's noses in our shit and that alone would propel it here.

I don't care for Hockey but I'm not going to sit here and make commentary on those who do. That's what makes the non soccer people 'special'. This arrogance that insults anyone who dares to like something they don't. It really just makes you look like a full on retard.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's understandable if you're a huge NFL fan but the fact that baseball/golf fans are shitting on soccer is hilarious considering the fact that baseball is BORING and so is golf.

I like soccer, baseball, and golf. I watch all 3.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like soccer, baseball, and golf. I watch all 3.

I was directing it at baseball/golf fans who always want to crap on soccer. I'm a big baseball fan and watch golf during majors so I have nothing against those sports. I just don't see how you can say soccer boring if you watch those sports

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bigger point is it doesn't matter if you think the sport itself is boring. The World Cup is like a one sport olympics. There is big drama and the pressure of representing your country in the biggest sports tournament in the world.

Can't say I watch most soccer, but the passion and intensity of world cup matches are worth the watch to me.

Are there things I don't like about soccer? Yes, major. I also have things I hate about the NFL and don't get me started on the NCAA when it comes to football, but none for any of them are so bad it kills it for me.

I hate any sport that can either end in a tie, or ends in a manner of scoring that isn't part of the normal game. Ending a game on penalty kicks is fucking lame. I don't think anyone likes the flops, but it really isn't as much of a part of it as the nazi soccer haters make it out to be.

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball and golf are boring but I don't think less of the people who watch it.

SDPaddlefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,390.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bigger point is it doesn't matter if you think the sport itself is boring. The World Cup is like a one sport olympics. There is big drama and the pressure of representing your country in the biggest sports tournament in the world.

Can't say I watch most soccer, but the passion and intensity of world cup matches are worth the watch to me.

Are there things I don't like about soccer? Yes, major. I also have things I hate about the NFL and don't get me started on the NCAA when it comes to football, but none for any of them are so bad it kills it for me.

I hate any sport that can either end in a tie, or ends in a manner of scoring that isn't part of the normal game. Ending a game on penalty kicks is fucking lame. I don't think anyone likes the flops, but it really isn't as much of a part of it as the nazi soccer haters make it out to be.

Don't know any "nazi soccer haters," but I submit that flopping/dives are a significant, expected and, indeed integral part of today's international matches. Indeed, after Brazil's controversial win over Croatia, the first ESPN expert was asked what he thought of the call that gave Brazil the go-ahead goal. His response was that it was clearly a dive (his words), but, as a soccer player, that you would be expected to take a dive in a 1-1 game in the World Cup. As he said, it was not big deal, it's just expected of soccer players at the international level to gain an (undeserved) advantage.

BTW, I don't hate soccer and I've been to many games as my GF's son was a first team all state soccer player so, believe me, I've seen plenty of HS and college games. But, in case you need it, "Heil" and have a good day.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know any "nazi soccer haters," but I submit that flopping/dives are a significant, expected and, indeed integral part of today's international matches. Indeed, after Brazil's controversial win over Croatia, the first ESPN expert was asked what he thought of the call that gave Brazil the go-ahead goal. His response was that it was clearly a dive (his words), but, as a soccer player, that you would be expected to take a dive in a 1-1 game in the World Cup. As he said, it was not big deal, it's just expected of soccer players at the international level to gain an (undeserved) advantage.

BTW, I don't hate soccer and I've been to many games as my GF's son was a first team all state soccer player so, believe me, I've seen plenty of HS and college games. But, in case you need it, "Heil" and have a good day.

So you think that was directed at you then. :noidea:

Think I was pretty clear in singling out those who not only don't like soccer at all, but also have to put down those who do. If you haven't ever seen any of them you aren't paying attention. Hell, there are a few in this thread. I'm not offended by it, but I'm also going to call it like I see it and I find it strange. You just don't see a lot of football fans that hate baseball calling those who do like baseball names. I don't think you see it from any other sport in our country, at least not to that level and I'm fascinated by it. I really don't know where all the pure hate and vitriol for the sport came from, but it's alive and well.

If that doesn't apply to you then don't be so defensive.

:suds:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me say this too, I was barely able to even watch the last world cup as those fucking vuvzela's made me want to fly down there and kill everyone blowing into one. Most annoying damned thing at any sporting event ever.

It's nice to see they are absent from this event, and their intended replacement was also banned from the tournament because fans in games leading up to the event threw them on the field and it was feared they would be used as weapons during this world cup. So all you hear is the fans, which is how it should be.

As for flopping, where did I say it doesn't happen? I said it's not as big of a deal as some make of it. Yes, it happens. The fact that the ref totally blew the call against the host country in the first game isn't proof it dominates the sport.

I'm happy that in MLS you can get a red card for a flop. You just don't see it nearly as often as you would without that penalty.

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a lifelong "soccer" fan I'm constrained to say I hate flopping and consistently yell at the television and make fun of players who do it all the time, even prettyboy Ronaldo. Don't assign us motives - I hate it in basketball too, and it happens just as frequently there, if not more frequently, and you're not railing on basketball fans!

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flopping happens in football too. It's how they slow down the pace of the no huddle offense.

bconngemini

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8-JYSXDp9k]NFL Flop and Fake: The Art of NFL Flopping - YouTube[/ame]

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, that's some funny shit right there. +1

bconngemini

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening group stage Ghana-USA game beats deciding game of the NBA Finals in TV ratings....this would have been unimaginable just 20 years ago.

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's the World Cup. It only comes around every 4 years. I would've been surprised if it didn't have a better tv ratings than the NBA Finals.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's the World Cup. It only comes around every 4 years. I would've been surprised if it didn't have a better tv ratings than the NBA Finals.

i think the 2010 finals had more viewers than the 2010 WC, not sure though

bconngemini

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS172L6Cmv8]John Brooks Goal - The United States Defeats Ghana - Everyone Goes Nuts! - YouTube[/ame]

Welcome to 2014 my friends. This would have been unimaginable in your father's generation.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doobster is on the World Cup bandwagon, let's go!

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the 2010 finals had more viewers than the 2010 WC, not sure though

Really? I wouldn't have thought that. Well just as a casual soccer fan myself, I've watched more of this World Cup than I did the Finals.