• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do the Patriots have the best 'running back room' in the NFL? One NFL Exec says yes.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much of the focus around the New England Patriots has been about how they will transition at quarterback without Tom Brady that other areas might be overlooked. Former New York Jets and Miami Dolphins general manager Mike Tannenbaum recently highlighted one.

"When you think about that running back room, it is the best room of any position group in all of football," Tannenbaum said during a Friday appearance on ESPN's Get Up! program.
That is high praise, and sure to spark debate, but not to be lost in any discussion is Tannenbaum's overall point that the Patriots have running back personnel to potentially be more balanced and diverse in 2020.

All five backs return: Sony Michel, James White, Rex Burkhead, Damien Harris and Brandon Bolden. There also has been an influx of fullback and tight end options.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They better...
theyre gonna need it.

2001 pats were:
8th in rushing attempts
13th in yards
7th in rushing TD's
average drive time, 7th

of course, 'toine had 287 of the 478 carries.

they'll need to be there or better statistically in 2020 for it to work.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Tannenbaum is a total fucking dumbass.

2) Of course they will try to run the football.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just from watching the Steelers last year...one hand washes the other.

By that I mean the QB play supports the running game and vice versa...if the QB play is solid, it will be respected and the running game can feed off it. If the DEF doesn't respect the passing game much, they will stack the box and you need a stud OL and RB to make it work (Titans).

Part of me believes the Pats running game benefitted from having Tom Brady behind center....just looking at the RB room...it's definitely by committee which is not a bad thing imo...but a lead dog will have to appear if the running game is what NE will hang it's hat on.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interested to see how things play out for them. If I were them I'd be more concerned about the O-line. They lost Scarnecchia, their legendary O-line coach to "retirement". Pretty sure I recall reading that he has still been helping with their scouting this offseason. But also losing a HOF QB with immaculate pocket presence will put a lot more pressure on the O-line as well. As far as O-line talent goes, they are in great shape. But they have a lot of factors working against them this year that may make things tougher on their Running Backs.

Brandon Bolden... Keep thinkin that guy is out of the league.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just from watching the Steelers last year...one hand washes the other.

By that I mean the QB play supports the running game and vice versa...if the QB play is solid, it will be respected and the running game can feed off it. If the DEF doesn't respect the passing game much, they will stack the box and you need a stud OL and RB to make it work (Titans).

Part of me believes the Pats running game benefitted from having Tom Brady behind center....just looking at the RB room...it's definitely by committee which is not a bad thing imo...but a lead dog will have to appear if the running game is what NE will hang it's hat on.
they get andrews back this year. thats. huge. his loss hurt more than devlin did in the ground game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interested to see how things play out for them. If I were them I'd be more concerned about the O-line. They lost Scarnecchia, their legendary O-line coach to "retirement". Pretty sure I recall reading that he has still been helping with their scouting this offseason. But also losing a HOF QB with immaculate pocket presence will put a lot more pressure on the O-line as well. As far as O-line talent goes, they are in great shape. But they have a lot of factors working against them this year that may make things tougher on their Running Backs.

The one huge advantage NE will have over what PIT dealt with LY...they've had the entire offseason to plan for this post Brady season....whereas it was on the fly for PIT.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decent. I don’t think it would put them top 5 though.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, Scar may be officially retired, but he was at the combine and his title was Offensive Consultant. Something to note were the two OL that the Patriots drafted late. From what I've heard, Scar has not cleaned out his Coaches Row office in the bowels of Gillette.

I agree 200% on your Bolden assessment. He did return a couple of kicks and did score a TD because he got ignored by a rookie corner, but a younger more talented rookie would seem to be a much better option.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much of the focus around the New England Patriots has been about how they will transition at quarterback without Tom Brady that other areas might be overlooked. Former New York Jets and Miami Dolphins general manager Mike Tannenbaum recently highlighted one.

"When you think about that running back room, it is the best room of any position group in all of football," Tannenbaum said during a Friday appearance on ESPN's Get Up! program.
That is high praise, and sure to spark debate, but not to be lost in any discussion is Tannenbaum's overall point that the Patriots have running back personnel to potentially be more balanced and diverse in 2020.

All five backs return: Sony Michel, James White, Rex Burkhead, Damien Harris and Brandon Bolden. There also has been an influx of fullback and tight end options.

Sony Michel is going to run for 1500 yards

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sony Michel is going to run for 1500 yards
he has to, for me. we could have had chubb instead. this is a huge year for michel to prove he was worth passing on his teammate.