• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did Luck make a mistake?

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with you on this, for shits and giggles, what IF Nick Saban decided to come home and coach WVU? Or, if we hit the lottery with a young, hot coach like Urban Meyer when he was at Bowling Green and Utah? Could WVU rise to the top, land 5 star kids, compete for a NC year in and year out, and start a dynasty? Or would we continue to struggle because we aren't a prestigious, traditional name like tOSU, FSU, Bama, USC, etc.?

While a great coach could accomplish great things at WVU - he would face the same challenges every WV Coach faces - talent level and QUANTITY of talent. This is not 'Bama and even Saban would struggle to get to a NCG, just like 95% of Div 1 CFB teams who are not the elite. Certainly some upcoming players will go to where the coach is, but most go to where the history, tradition and name recognition attracts them. But who knows - FSU was bottom of the barrel when Bowden fled WVU.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DBAR,

That is just a small sample from the UGA fan base. I could do just the same with OU…

Do you want to convince me and others… the sportswriter is referring to the expectation for NC's as those of just the moron fans of UGA?

Too funny….

I agree, it is too funny. That you would equate a few morons on twitter after a huge loss to the mindset of most/many/the average fan of UG is hoping that one of the best HCs they have ever had should be fired and replaced with....who? Losing to a horrible FLA team is going to bring the morons out, even sportswriter morons. If GA fans truly want a new coach - tell Richt we could make room at WV.
A dozen posts or even a thousand won't convince me to agree with your assessment.
That would mean that when RR lost to a horrible Pitt team and knocked them out of the NC conversation, most/many/average WV fans wanted him.... hmmm?

Maybe you have something there? I will need to ponder this further.
Maybe the answer is that the average CFB fan is a moron... more to come.
:pound:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DBAR,

That is just a small sample from the UGA fan base. I could do just the same with OU…

Do you want to convince me and others… the sportswriter is referring to the expectation for NC's as those of just the moron fans of UGA?

Too funny….

I could do the same for any school, BB. There are hundreds of thousands of fans for each school, and you point out maybe 100 as representative. Living where I do, I work with an OSU fan who thinks Meyer should be fired for losing to VPI, even though they were voted "champion", most fans are happy with a winning season, a good showing in their league, and beating rivals, there are nutjobs everywhere.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, it is too funny. That you would equate a few morons on twitter after a huge loss to the mindset of most/many/the average fan of UG is hoping that one of the best HCs they have ever had should be fired and replaced with....who? Losing to a horrible FLA team is going to bring the morons out, even sportswriter morons. If GA fans truly want a new coach - tell Richt we could make room at WV.
A dozen posts or even a thousand won't convince me to agree with your assessment.
That would mean that when RR lost to a horrible Pitt team and knocked them out of the NC conversation, most/many/average WV fans wanted him.... hmmm?

Maybe you have something there? I will need to ponder this further.
Maybe the answer is that the average CFB fan is a moron... more to come.
:pound:

The sportswriter moron wrote his article after UGA's loss to GT.

He mentioned in his moronic article the exact same expectations I have mentioned…

The facts are the facts… and once again… I am not saying Richt should be fired. To support slaton's stance… he sites the very reason why the AD hasn't fired Richt… that Richt should not be judged on his failures… but, on his success.

Another moronic sportswriter…

News from Macon and Warner Robins, GA, and beyond | The Telegraph

Richt will also get a contract extension, and that’s not a shock. Sure, Richt’s Bulldogs are 14-21 against ranked opponents since 2008. Sure, Richt is 11-17 against Top 10-ranked opponents in his career at Georgia. But he has won 10 games or more in nine of his 14 seasons, and, like it or not, 10-win seasons in college football represent success.

So Georgia fans will have to live with the once-a-year games they know come every season when the Georgia team loses to someone it shouldn’t lose to. That’s just a fact of life for Georgia fans, and the nature of the game is that a coach like Richt will be rewarded for being very good, even if he’s not great.

Remember, Richt has not won a national title in his career, and he has not won a conference championship since 2005. But he has won just enough to be very comfortable in his job.

But right now, Richt has what he wants. He’s getting a raise and taking care of his assistants. He’s getting things built. The excuses are running out. Now it’s simply time for Georgia to take the next step with Richt firmly in charge.

DBAR… what do you think this moronic sportswriter is referring to… when he states it's simply time for UGA to take the next step?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could do the same for any school, BB. There are hundreds of thousands of fans for each school, and you point out maybe 100 as representative. Living where I do, I work with an OSU fan who thinks Meyer should be fired for losing to VPI, even though they were voted "champion", most fans are happy with a winning season, a good showing in their league, and beating rivals, there are nutjobs everywhere.

I'm sorry… but, I'm too stupid to follow.

I am not pointing out a 100… these links I provided claim no numbers.

The discussion is about slaton's response to your post in which you stated the following…

Yea, he took an athletic program that played in major bowl games and final fours to one that sat out any bowl and ncaa tourney, you are right, I will never understand throwing out all that defined WVU in favor of more money. No loss for us that I can see........

This was slaton's response to you….

And there in itself is the problem DAD..you think an AD's job is about wins and losses...the AD's job and specifically in the case of WV is to run a self sustaining program...meaning don't ask the state for money...

What he did in 5 years was knock it out of the park!!….......how you can't see that being a major success story while the rest of the country does is pretty remarkable

So… DAD… you came back with this….

OK, so 0-12 on the field is good, so long as there is plenty of cash????????You might rethink your rest of the country remark, read some other www sites and some letters to the editor in newspapers.

Now… I cite multiple sites voicing the same opinions of Richt to support my position… but, you want to say this?

There are hundreds of thousands of fans for each school, and you point out maybe 100 as representative. Living where I do, I work with an OSU fan who thinks Meyer should be fired for losing to VPI, even though they were voted "champion", most fans are happy with a winning season, a good showing in their league, and beating rivals, there are nutjobs everywhere.

Once again…. I am not claiming coaches like Richt or Stoops should be fired. But, there are expectations at these schools by the average fan… not nut jobs… not morons…. that their football team will compete for NC's. Slaton pointed to the job of the AD to overlook these expectations and evaluate the whole picture.

Somewhere along the line… this point seems to have been lost…

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't blame some Georgia fans. NFL coaches get fired after making the playoffs. It really comes down to what you can do with what you have. When you have a top 10 class every year and cannot get over the hump, it may be time for a change. 10 years with no conference championship ant top talent is underachieving to many. I think as long as he stays, Georgia will do no better than his usual 10 win seasons.

As for WVU, we do not have the location or reputation like Georgia. I agree that we may win a conference championship every now and then. What it really takes is getting a couple of great players that can carry a team.

When pondering the question of whether, WVU could become a dynasty, I think we could if all the stars align. I think we were close in 2007. We beat Pitt and OSU for our first championship. RR stays with White and Slaton for their senior season, Devine as the backup. Then we pick up Terrelle Pryor and still get Austin and Bailey. If we win a NC, all of a sudden many of the 5 star recruits start looking at us. Success snowballs in this sport. The more success you have, the more people want to get on the bandwagon.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet another big loss for Mark Richt | Shanks on Sports | Macon.com

This moronic sportswriter took a critical look at the situation… all of those morons down south…

I lived in Augusta, GA for 2 years… I can personally share with you… they take the sport of football quite seriously. Living just a little over an hour away from Athens… I was surrounded by many a UGA fan… I mean… moron…

Richt has been the head coach at Georgia for 14 seasons. Shouldn’t the expectations be higher for someone so universally loved and admired? Shouldn’t we expect him to have his program in the race every single season? Shouldn’t we expect more than what we saw on Saturday?

That act is getting tired. Losing games like Saturday is getting old. And it is becoming more and more obvious this coach will never get Georgia where most of its fans believe it should be.

Would this be accepted at Alabama? If these type losses had gone on for a period of seven years would Nick Saban still have a job? It’s a valid question, and the answer will make Georgia fans embarrassed they are putting up with something they really shouldn’t tolerate any longer.

Georgia will struggle to win against Kentucky, Auburn and Georgia Tech. It won’t be easy at all. And who knows, maybe they even make it back to Atlanta to represent the pitiful SEC East. The Bulldogs will probably finish with a good record, and that will be touted by the head coach as a winning season.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN cites a bunch of morons too…

Mark Richt - SEC Blog - ESPN

3. For one of the SEC's most accomplished coaches in the regular season, Wednesday's announcement of a contract extension and a raise should have been considered a no-brainer. But when you haven't won the SEC championship at a school like Georgia since 2005, you can't blame fans for their uneasiness toward their head coach. Still, for all the negativity that Mark Richt has had to deal with from Georgia fans -- some of it is justified -- he's had a heck of a coaching career with the Bulldogs. His .739 winning percentage (136-48 record) ranks fourth among active FBS coaches who have coached at least 100 games in FBS conferences, and he's had nine seasons with 10 or more wins at Georgia in his 14 years in Athens. But with an extension going through 2019 and Richt now making $4 million a year, the time to win an SEC title is now. The Bulldogs are equipped with the talent to make a strong run through the SEC, and you know those same fans unhappy with the lack of championship swag in Georgia's trophy cases won't be pleased with anything less than a title run or two in 2015.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your examples bolster my arguments IMO. This sportswriter doesn't like Richt - that's obvious.
But - he gives examples of why: 14-21 against ranked opponents/11-17 against Top 10-ranked opponents, has not won a conference championship since 2005. So this is understandable I suppose. A team of GAs standing should expect to compete against ranked teams and should expect to win their conference more than 1 in a decade..... until you dig a little deeper.

When you consider the fact that the "Top-10" losses are mostly to other surging SEC teams, I am not shocked. The Conference titles since 2005 (last GA win) have been 'Bama(3), LSU(2), FLA(2) and Auburn (2). Yeah - they have all sucked. These are the teams that have dominated all of CFB - not just GA. But GA should have won every year!!

Richt won the SEC in 2002 and 2005. Before him - 1982 was the last season GA won a weak and much smaller SEC. So this F-ing moron you point to is actually using Richt's own success of 2 SEC titles to say GA should win the SEC every year? Before him they didn't win it.
If this idiot wants to win his conference every year maybe he should be promoting a move to the ACC. Even 'Bama can't win the SEC every year.

Richt won the SEC in 2002 and 2005. Probably could have won others, but injuries and losses to teams they "should have beaten" happened, as they do to everyone. I still say most fans appreciate him and do not want to see him go. If they do - then they are MORONS.

And where this "moronic sportswriter" really shows to what level of moronic statements he will stoop to when he states, "like it or not, 10-win seasons in college football represent success."

Seriously? 10 wins against 2 losses is failure? Wow, this guy must hit a homerun every morning and then scores 8 touchdowns by lunch. He is a superstar!!! Reality check - he is a hack who doesn't know what the "F" he is talking about - but he strikes a cord with a bunch of frustrated morons out there.... so he keeps a job he doesn't deserve while advocating a guy who earns his year in/year out loses his. That, my friend, is the definition of "MORON".

Last edited by a moderator:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another example of another moron… offering his voice about UGA fans' expectations…

Mike Bell: “I’ve Done This Show Before… Wake up Dawg fans.” « CBS Atlanta

We don’t fire coaches or managers in Georgia, instead we have expectations for a championship that get dashed and we come back next year and the same thing happens. Isn’t that the definition of insanity doing the same thing and expecting a different result?
For years the firing of Tennessee’s Phillip Fulmer was the cautionary tale for athletic directors and fans to point and say “the devil you know is the better option”. It will take years…years for a new coach to come in do better than Mark Richt.
Anybody see what Gus Malzahn did last year? In one season, from 3 wins to a National Championship Game…
Wake up Dawg fans.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your examples bolster my arguments IMO. This sportswriter doesn't like Richt - that's obvious.
But - he gives examples of why: 14-21 against ranked opponents/11-17 against Top 10-ranked opponents, has not won a conference championship since 2005. So this is understandable I suppose. A team of GAs standing should expect to compete against ranked teams and should expect to win their conference more than 1 in a decade..... until you dig a little deeper.

When you consider the fact that the "Top-10" losses are mostly to other surging SEC teams, I am not shocked. The Conference titles since 2005 (last GA win) have been 'Bama(3), LSU(2), FLA(2) and Auburn (2). Yeah - they have all sucked. These are the teams that have dominated all of CFB - not just GA. But GA should have won every year!!

Richt won the SEC in 2002 and 2005. Before him - 1982 was the last season GA won a weak and much smaller SEC. So this F-ing moron you point to is actually using Richt's own success of 2 SEC titles to say GA should win the SEC every year? Before him they didn't win it.
If this idiot wants to win his conference every year maybe he should be promoting a move to the ACC. Even 'Bama can't win the SEC every year.

Richt won the SEC in 2002 and 2005. Probably could have won others, but injuries and losses to teams they "should have beaten" happened, as they do to everyone. I still say most fans appreciate him and do not want to see him go. If they do - then they are MORONS.

And where this "moronic sportswriter" really shows to what level of moronic statements he will stoop to when he states, "like it or not, 10-win seasons in college football represent success."

Seriously? 10 wins against 2 losses is failure? Wow, this guy must hit a homerun every morning and then scores 8 touchdowns by lunch. He is a superstar!!! Reality check - he is a hack who doesn't know what the "F" he is talking about - but he strikes a cord with a bunch of frustrated morons out there.... so he keeps a job he doesn't deserve while advocating a guy who earns his year in/year out loses his. That, my friend, is the definition of "MORON".

Whether you think they are morons or not… is not the argument.

I did not cite this article to provide evidence of another critical voice… or cared if he liked Richt… I did so because he mentions the point I have repeatedly made… the average UGA fan expects to compete for NC's.

That is the expectation…

The fact that Richt is winning and doing his best to do it the right way is why he received a contract extension.

Ask Bo Pelini if it is just about winning games at Nebraska?

:lol:

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right - that's why I said maybe all CFB fans are morons, not just GA.
I don't really have an feeling towards Richt either. But to think he is a failure?
No team anywhere could have done much better than he has done facing the teams he faces every year. If GA fans want him gone, get rid of him. Then you can have 6-6 seasons, year in/year out instead of 10-2. After all, 10 wins doesn't mean success... right?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So… I've made it pretty clear… the average UGA fans expects its team to challenge for NC's…

On to OU fans… the average OU fans expects its team to challenge for NC's…

Bob Stoops embraces Oklahoma expectations, combats criticism | NCAA Football | Sporting News

“People may take him for granted but the (national championship) standard is what it is—and that’s what he will be judged by,” Tillman said. “That’s the difficult truth. I’m a big Bob Stoops supporter. But I would be a fool if I didn’t say the difficult thing.”

I guess Tillman is a moron…

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right - that's why I said maybe all CFB fans are morons, not just GA.
I don't really have an feeling towards Richt either. But to think he is a failure?
No team anywhere could have done much better than he has done facing the teams he faces every year. If GA fans want him gone, get rid of him. Then you can have 6-6 seasons, year in/year out instead of 10-2. After all, 10 wins doesn't mean success... right?

Like I've repeatedly said… Richt has been successful. I think it would be stupid to fire him. I think the UGA AD has done the right thing by keeping him.

But, the average UGA fan has an expectation that has not been met.

You may believe they are morons. I don't really care. UGA fans might take offense to your opinion…. but, that would have to be an argument between you and them.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know quite a few GA fans here in Charlotte. They are neither morons nor do they want their coach fired - not a single one I know. They are certainly disappointed when their team loses. Big shock. They were outraged when GA lost to a simply horrible Florida team - much as I have been when WV has lost to a few teams they should have beaten. But I understand where WV is right now and it is rebuilding.

When 10 wins are not enough for you, maybe it is time for a new hobby. Or maybe you should be like some NFL fans - simply root for whoever is winning in any given season. That way - you will always be on the side of the winners. Some peoples delicate psyche can't handle losing, they are winners dagnabit! Good for them. Just don't look too deeply into the mirror - that loser staring back might disappoint you.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know quite a few GA fans here in Charlotte. They are neither morons nor do they want their coach fired - not a single one I know. They are certainly disappointed when their team loses. Big shock. They were outraged when GA lost to a simply horrible Florida team - much as I have been when WV has lost to a few teams they should have beaten. But I understand where WV is right now and it is rebuilding.

When 10 wins are not enough for you, maybe it is time for a new hobby. Or maybe you should be like some NFL fans - simply root for whoever is winning in any given season. That way - you will always be on the side of the winners. Some peoples delicate psyche can't handle losing, they are winners dagnabit! Good for them. Just don't look too deeply into the mirror - that loser staring back might disappoint you.

I think it is pretty cool you know some UGA fans near you. I would be interested to know if they expect to see the UGA football program compete for championships.

They would probably be a good sample of the average UGA fan… don't you agree?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is pretty cool you know some UGA fans near you. I would be interested to know if they expect to see the UGA football program compete for championships.

They would probably be a good sample of the average UGA fan… don't you agree?

I cant speak for UGA fans, but I CAN speak for Ohio State fans, which has an even higher pedigree, I know as close friends probably 20 OSU fans, out of that 20 there is ONE guy who wants every coach fired after every loss, he expects national titles EVERY year in basketball and football, the other 19 expect a winning season, a bowl or a trip to the NCAA, are happy after each win, and sad after each loss. There are articles in the paper right now calling for Matta's head, but some others saying he is a great coach. What you do not get is that the job of a news reporter is to sell papers or get eyes on the TV screen, they will stir the pot as much as they can to get interest and feedback.
Secondly, what championship do you speak about? I think every fan of every team hopes to compete in their league, and many do indeed cheer for a conference title, that is why you compete, to win!!!! To view a pretend popularity competition as the measure of success is what is moronic, to put stock in it is pure folly. Just think, had Baylor managed to beat WVU, Alabama, not OSU would likely be the "champion" this year...........:wtf2: kind of way to determine the best team is swayed that much by one game midway through the season? There are nutjob fans for every team, including ours, we have guys here arguing that ten win a year coaches are failures, yet standing firmly behind Holgorsen............