• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did Luck make a mistake?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mistake? Taking the NCAA position?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all...it spelled out just how lucky Wv was to have him as the AD...he was/is a powerful player and put a school on a next level plane with the big boys...guys like DAD will never understand what the University and the program has just lost...as for the job..the NCAA is at its lowest point..its always better to come into a situation at its worst than at its best....

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all...it spelled out just how lucky Wv was to have him as the AD...he was/is a powerful player and put a school on a next level plane with the big boys...guys like DAD will never understand what the University and the program has just lost...as for the job..the NCAA is at its lowest point..its always better to come into a situation at its worst than at its best....

Yea, he took an athletic program that played in major bowl games and final fours to one that sat out any bowl and ncaa tourney, you are right, I will never understand throwing out all that defined WVU in favor of more money. No loss for us that I can see.........

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I loved him as our AD and considered us lucky to have him as long as we did.
I just didn't think we would lose him to what seems to be a sinking ship.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the NCAA is ever pushed completely out of the picture the sport will lose a lot of fans....while I always don't agree with their actions I do not want to see a college version of the NFL.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the NCAA is ever pushed completely out of the picture the sport will lose a lot of fans....while I always don't agree with their actions I do not want to see a college version of the NFL.
:agree: 100%, if the Mounties ever become simply a farm team for the nfl, I will not have any interest whatsoever. The very things that makes cfb our favorite sport are being destroyed by guys like Luck. Success is now about revenue, not wins, rivalries are tossed aside like used rubbers, sell everything off to the highest bidders, fleece the fans for every dime, spend that money like a drunken sailor, THEN, scratch your head trying to figure WHY attendance drops......

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMO, but no matter what may or may not happen to the NCAA... being the #2 man in charge... is a resume builder.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, he took an athletic program that played in major bowl games and final fours to one that sat out any bowl and ncaa tourney, you are right, I will never understand throwing out all that defined WVU in favor of more money. No loss for us that I can see.........

And there in itself is the problem DAD..you think an AD's job is about wins and losses...the AD's job and specifically in the case of WV is to run a self sustaining program...meaning don't ask the state for money...

What he did in 5 years was knock it out of the park!!..........how you can't see that being a major success story while the rest of the country does is pretty remarkable

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The very things that makes cfb our favorite sport are being destroyed by guys like Luck. Success is now about revenue, not wins, rivalries are tossed aside like used rubbers, sell everything off to the highest bidders, fleece the fans for every dime, spend that money like a drunken sailor, THEN, scratch your head trying to figure WHY attendance drops......

While I agree with what you are saying, I am not sure all of the credit for the state of WV football belongs at Luck's doorstep. Our (former) rivals have stepped away from WVU as much or more than WV leading the departure. He was forced to flee the BE collapse and landed us in what he saw as the best option available. There were few GOOD options.

Joe Paterno ended the WV series as soon as he could 'cause he didn't like the concept of WV beating his much superior team. VT, 'Cuse and Pitt heading to the ACC and WV to the B12 ended our series there with all of the new scheduling challenges. And Boston College.... ah, who gives a shit about playing BC??

Switching conferences means you only have 2 or 3 games avaialble for OOC games. Our traditional rivalries have fallen away as we reposition. OU and Texas don't play NEB. If there is interest on both sides - they should be re-established. But in the meantime, you shouldn't put all of the blame for chasing dollars on 1 person - many had a hand. IMO - it started when the ACC raided the Big East and it continues today. It sucks - but it is all about the money right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there in itself is the problem DAD..you think an AD's job is about wins and losses...the AD's job and specifically in the case of WV is to run a self sustaining program...meaning don't ask the state for money...

What he did in 5 years was knock it out of the park!!..........how you can't see that being a major success story while the rest of the country does is pretty remarkable

OK, so 0-12 on the field is good, so long as there is plenty of cash????????You might rethink your rest of the country remark, read some other www sites and some letters to the editor in newspapers.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, so 0-12 on the field is good, so long as there is plenty of cash????????You might rethink your rest of the country remark, read some other www sites and some letters to the editor in newspapers.

Yes that is what I am saying...If winning was the only thing they are judged on how are guys like Bog Stoops, Kirk Ferentz or a Mrak Richt still employed?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So one final four in recent history means the AD is responsible for getting us to one every year? His hire won a major bowl so dont really understand that comment. SMH

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes that is what I am saying...If winning was the only thing they are judged on how are guys like Bog Stoops, Kirk Ferentz or a Mrak Richt still employed?

You may have a point with ferenz, but the other two win......pretty weak

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So one final four in recent history means the AD is responsible for getting us to one every year? His hire won a major bowl so dont really understand that comment. SMH

With those " no talent bums" from the previous coaching staff, I see your point, bring in the bucks, he'll with winning..........

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may have a point with ferenz, but the other two win......pretty weak

Really? With resources and recruits they get every year...and especially for Richt...when was the last time Georgia in the NC hunt?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? With resources and recruits they get every year...and especially for Richt...when was the last time Georgia in the NC hunt?

THAT is the problem, who gives a shit about a pretend "championship", there are 128 Div1A schools now, are you saying every single coach is a failure except Meyer, who was only in the hunt because it was Baylor atop the B12 rather than Oklahoma???? When they decided to try and legitimize the "title" is when CFB really started to go to hell, give me 9 or more wins, competing in the league, beating rivals and I am happy, as are most realistic fans. When people start viewing a ten win a season average as failure, it is totally screwed up..

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stoops has averaged 10.5 wins per season, Richt averages 9.8 wins per year, to somehow try and twist that into failure is absurd.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoops has averaged 10.5 wins per season, Richt averages 9.8 wins per year, to somehow try and twist that into failure is absurd.

Richt has had at least 6 teams that should have either been in the hunt or won a NC...he hasn't come close...same for Stoops...this years team should have been something special...it collapsed..