• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did Luck make a mistake?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richt has had at least 6 teams that should have either been in the hunt or won a NC...he hasn't come close...same for Stoops...this years team should have been something special...it collapsed..

What makes you say Oklahoma should have been special? That the same experts who PICK the "champion" voted them top five in popularity at the start of the season? You say UGA should have been "champion" six times, they play in the toughest league in the nation, but you forgive Holgorsen losing to Kansas and IAST, fucking lame.......

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slaton have to go with Dad on this one, Richt has had 9 10+ win seasons and 7 finishes in the top 10....Stoops has dominated the Big 12...12 10+ winning seasons 8 top 10 finishes 8 conf titles 5 BCS bowl wins and played for two NC's winning one. He hasn't won less than 8 games in 15 years.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man... I was kicked out of the quartet... and now it looks like by boy slaton is getting thrown to the curb.

The quartet is down to a duo. Tough times....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the average fan of OU or that of UGA expect to see their team compete for a NC?

Has Richt delivered and met the average fan's expectations?

When did Stoops last deliver on the average fan's expectation at OU?

IMO, both DAD and DC are providing support for slaton. He started off by posting his opinion of what an AD should do… and, that sometimes means his decisions won't be popular… especially to the average fan.

I'm not disagreeing with the points made by either DAD or DC, I know Richt and Stoops have done a great job with their respective programs.

But, slaton's point is solid, the expectations at UGA and OU are to compete and win NC's. If an AD stood strong to this objective… both of these coaches would be fired. The AD's of UGA and OU have not fired these coaches…

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again - it all comes down to what is important to you. If winning a NC is all that matters.... then that takes care of all of the other stuff, you need to go undefeated or have maybe 1 loss. Should have won your conference as a result of the wins. Of course SEC is an exeption to that rule. If being crowned NC is your goal - then it all falls into place if it happens. Anything less - you are not satisfied and the season was a failure.

But, if winning the NC is not your primary goal - then you falll back to your conference.
Win the Big12 is your goal. Beat the teams you should beat, upset a few where you are
the underdog. Beating your rivals. Being competative, maybe win all of your OOC games as well.

I am afraid I have to go with DAD on this one. WV being WV means they are not likely to compete with the big dogs year in-year out. We just do not attract the talent levels that OSU, 'Bama, LSU, etc. are going to get. Hell, they turn some away that I'd be happy to see at WV. I want my team to be the best THEY can be, with the modest skills they bring to the table. Play to their abilities or above. I don't really care about winning some beauty contest. If they are in the discussions, I won't argue - but it isn't on my radar as a priority.

I will be happy with beating the teams we should beat, in and OOC - not being embarrassed.
I will be excited if we beat the middle of the pack teams in our conference.
I will be tickled pink if we manage to beat some of the top teams in the Big12
and are in a position to win the conference.
If WV could simply win the B12, just once, then I would be absolutely ecstatic.

So thinking that WV should be competing for the NC year in-year out is not realistic for me.
If we are in the conversation - that would be just gravy. But I would rather we take care of
our business, worry about the meat & potatoes, and let the NC stuff happen as a result.
That, IMO - would be a great measure of success.

I don't want to become like some 'Bama fans where if my team isn't AT LEAST in the NC Title game, then the season was a failure - even at 11-2. That is simply ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, slaton's point is solid, the expectations at UGA and OU are to compete and win NC's. If an AD stood strong to this objective… both of these coaches would be fired. The AD's of UGA and OU have not fired these coaches…

So you and Slaton are speaking for GA and OU fans? :omg:

I am fairly certain you don't speak for all WVU fans, but now you want to speak for fans of teams outside of our state? Take a step back and check into reality. I am sure in both of those teams cases - most of their fans would simply like their team to win their conference and let the NC talk take care of itself. I, for one, would love to see WV go through a 15 year streak with winning percentages like GA.

That is a level of failure I could get behind. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the average fan of OU or that of UGA expect to see their team compete for a NC?

Has Richt delivered and met the average fan's expectations?

When did Stoops last deliver on the average fan's expectation at OU?

IMO, both DAD and DC are providing support for slaton. He started off by posting his opinion of what an AD should do… and, that sometimes means his decisions won't be popular… especially to the average fan.

I'm not disagreeing with the points made by either DAD or DC, I know Richt and Stoops have done a great job with their respective programs.

Stoops has won a title....how is 13 years of 10 plus or more wins not competing for a national titles? 6 years removed from his last title game....one year removed from 11-2 when they were in title contention.

I can see the argument for Richt more than I can see it for Stoops....if you go by what Slaton is saying then half the coaches at the top programs should be canned today since all those schools expect to win NC's and only one is succeeding every year.

I guess I am not really sure what the argument is here....if you are saying coaches like Stoops and Richt should be fired for not meeting fans expectations, then DH should be fired for not meeting Dads expectations. Even though we have never won a title a good portion of our fan base expects it so what is the difference?

Maybe I need to go back and read some post again, I may not be adding anything to this.....:suds:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you and Slaton are speaking for GA and OU fans? :omg:

I am fairly certain you don't speak for all WVU fans, but now you want to speak for fans of teams outside of our state? Take a step back and check into reality. I am sure in both of those teams cases - most of their fans would simply like their team to win their conference and let the NC talk take care of itself. I, for one, would love to see WV go through a 15 year streak with winning percentages like GA.

That is a level of failure I could get behind. :yahoo:

Well… I won't speak for slaton, but yes… I read the message boards… and I hear the radio call-in talk shows in which UGA and OU fans blast their HC's.

They are not unique… go to the LSU boards…. the Bama boards…. see if some of them don't want their HC's fired because they didn't win enough…

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the quartet will never die!!!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoops has won a title....how is 13 years of 10 plus or more wins not competing for a national titles? 6 years removed from his last title game....one year removed from 11-2 when they were in title contention.

I can see the argument for Richt more than I can see it for Stoops....if you go by what Slaton is saying then half the coaches at the top programs should be canned today since all those schools expect to win NC's and only one is succeeding every year.

I guess I am not really sure what the argument is here....if you are saying coaches like Stoops and Richt should be fired for not meeting fans expectations, then DH should be fired for not meeting Dads expectations. Even though we have never won a title a good portion of our fan base expects it so what is the difference?

Maybe I need to go back and read some post again, I may not be adding anything to this…..:suds:

Not disagreeing with you regarding Stoops' achievements… although OU was not in title contention last year after getting embarrassed by BU.

Slaton is not saying these coaches should be fired. He clearly responded to DAD's assertion that an AD is evaluated on wins and losses by pointing out the AD's job is to sustain a healthy athletic department. If it were all about meeting expectations… in some fans' minds… unreal expectations… the coaches he mentioned would be fired.

Despite OU's performance in 2013, he shook up his staff this offseason. Why?

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well… … go to the LSU boards…. the Bama boards…. see if some of them don't want their HC's fired because they didn't win enough…

Hey, there are some WVU fans calling for DH to be fired. That doesn't mean all WV fans are.
Most reasonable fans (I stress the word REASONABLE) know that their team can't go undefeated every year. They understand the difficulty in just getting to the NC Title game once, let alone getting there every season. Most reasonable fans understand that it is IMPOSSIBLE to win the NCG every year - let alone your own conference. While you MAY have consecutive titles - every year is some high expectations. Anyone with those level are expectations are going to be disappointed and are unrealistic in their reasoning ability and their understanding of sports.

Yeah, there are idiot fans all over the place, for every team - who make idiot statements about their team, their coach, their AD. I get it, boy do I get it. But don't quote a stupid remark by a handful of dumbass fans and attempt to equate that to the sentiment and desires of all of that teams fans.
It simply is not true.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, there are some WVU fans calling for DH to be fired. That doesn't mean all WV fans are.
Most reasonable fans (I stress the word REASONABLE) know that their team can't go undefeated every year. They understand the difficulty in just getting to the NC Title game once, let alone getting there every season. Most reasonable fans understand that it is IMPOSSIBLE to win the NCG every year - let alone your own conference. While you MAY have consecutive titles - every year is some high expectations. Anyone with those level are expectations are going to be disappointed and are unrealistic in their reasoning ability and their understanding of sports.

Yeah, there are idiot fans all over the place, for every team - who make idiot statements about their team, their coach, their AD. I get it, boy do I get it. But don't quote a stupid remark by a handful of dumbass fans and attempt to equate that to the sentiment and desires of all of that teams fans.
It simply is not true.

There are more than just some fans calling for WVU to fire Dana. There are some of the deepest pockets in the MAC ready to do so.

And, I have not once said all of the OU fans… nor once did I say… all of the UGA fans want to see their respective coaches fired.

I stated that the average fan of those respective schools expect to see their football teams compete for NC's. Do you dispute that?

I'm really not sure why you are going off on this… but, if you want to play with me… I'm more than game. Today is my day off, and I'd find it very entertaining….

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to become like some 'Bama fans where if my team isn't AT LEAST in the NC Title game, then the season was a failure - even at 11-2. That is simply ridiculous.

:wtf2:

You have made my exact… same point…

:lol:

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stated that the average fan of those respective schools expect to see their football teams compete for NC's. Do you dispute that?

If by "average fan", meaning those schools fans who are of average or below intelligence?
Then no, I don't dispute that morons think their school should win the national championship every season. Even morons who are fans of WVU.

I do dispute that a majority of fans (who are not morons) of any school hold such unattainable expectations. I find the majority of fans at most schools have realistic goals and expectations. Unfortunately, it is the loudmouth morons that get all of the attention. They have no problem standing up, waving their arms in the air and shouting, "Look at me, over here!! I AM A MORON and I expect - NAY, I DEMAND!!, that my team win the NC this year and every year!!! As it is written, so shall it be!!"

So say the MORONs! :suds:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it enough for UGA football to be good, not great? | Junkyard Blawg

My brother Jon thinks the Richt way is preferable. College football players should be students first, he says, and athletes second. Under Richt, he says, Georgia will win most of the time — including some games it’s not supposed to — and also will lose some that it’s not supposed to lose, but overall it will be a program in which the university and its alumni and supporters can take pride.

Is that enough?

The UGA alum who was decrying Georgia being in the rut of a second-tier bowl team pointed out that fans aren’t paying handsomely for tickets (at a rate that will increase over the next couple of years, plus contributions required to buy season tickets) in order to see a team with a high graduation rate.

“If Georgia is going to be a program that graduates kids first, keeps them disciplined, etc. and worries about titles second, that’s fine and good,” he said. “But while I don’t want a program that lacks integrity, I understand that fans are not totally unjustified in their annual disappointment and the kind of hopelessness of where we are these days.”

He added that Georgia’s athletic officials might be satisfied with New Year’s Day bowls in Florida, but after a string of such trips they shouldn’t be surprised if fans don’t continue to follow the team to such bowls or throw money at the program in general.

“Georgia can’t have it both ways.”

Can a football program located in one of the richest talent hotbeds in the nation, and which makes millions of dollars in profits, really be satisfied with being good, but not quite good enough to win championships?

That’s the question that the fan/alumni base and, more importantly, UGA’s athletic and school leaders eventually are going to have to address.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
www.FireMarkRicht.net ? Index page

In November of 2008 this site was born with a simple but challenging goal.....to have Coach Mark Richt replaced with a football coach that can lead us to a national championship.

We are almost there. Coach Richt's organization is imploding. Arrests and losses are mounting by the week.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again - it all comes down to what is important to you. If winning a NC is all that matters.... then that takes care of all of the other stuff, you need to go undefeated or have maybe 1 loss. Should have won your conference as a result of the wins. Of course SEC is an exeption to that rule. If being crowned NC is your goal - then it all falls into place if it happens. Anything less - you are not satisfied and the season was a failure.

But, if winning the NC is not your primary goal - then you falll back to your conference.
Win the Big12 is your goal. Beat the teams you should beat, upset a few where you are
the underdog. Beating your rivals. Being competative, maybe win all of your OOC games as well.

I am afraid I have to go with DAD on this one. WV being WV means they are not likely to compete with the big dogs year in-year out. We just do not attract the talent levels that OSU, 'Bama, LSU, etc. are going to get. Hell, they turn some away that I'd be happy to see at WV. I want my team to be the best THEY can be, with the modest skills they bring to the table. Play to their abilities or above. I don't really care about winning some beauty contest. If they are in the discussions, I won't argue - but it isn't on my radar as a priority.

I will be happy with beating the teams we should beat, in and OOC - not being embarrassed.
I will be excited if we beat the middle of the pack teams in our conference.
I will be tickled pink if we manage to beat some of the top teams in the Big12
and are in a position to win the conference.
If WV could simply win the B12, just once, then I would be absolutely ecstatic.

So thinking that WV should be competing for the NC year in-year out is not realistic for me.
If we are in the conversation - that would be just gravy. But I would rather we take care of
our business, worry about the meat & potatoes, and let the NC stuff happen as a result.
That, IMO - would be a great measure of success.

While I agree with you on this, for shits and giggles, what IF Nick Saban decided to come home and coach WVU? Or, if we hit the lottery with a young, hot coach like Urban Meyer when he was at Bowling Green and Utah? Could WVU rise to the top, land 5 star kids, compete for a NC year in and year out, and start a dynasty? Or would we continue to struggle because we aren't a prestigious, traditional name like tOSU, FSU, Bama, USC, etc.?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JENKINS: Why isn?t UGA football better than it is? | Gwinnett Daily Post

A little perspective: the Bulldogs are still 9-3, with the chance to win 10 games for the ninth time under Coach Mark Richt. Believe me, as a Tennessee alum and lifelong Volunteer, 9-3 looks pretty good to me right now.

#The problem for Georgia fans is that they have a good football program, maybe even a very good football program. It’s just not an elite football program, one that competes regularly for national championships. Whatever the reason, the Dawgs can’t seem to get over that hump.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DBAR,

That is just a small sample from the UGA fan base. I could do just the same with OU…

Do you want to convince me and others… the sportswriter is referring to the expectation for NC's as those of just the moron fans of UGA?

Too funny….