• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did anyone else get pissed at play calling ?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Near the end of the 3rd quarter and into the 4th I got pretty ticked off we were even throwing the ball being up comfortably and time being a factor... Especially with our O=line protection problems... I think overall Bevell called a good game but RUN THE DAM ROCK BEVELL!!!! We were UP comfortably and there was no reason at that point to risk a turn-over deep in our territory... I was screaming near the end of the 3rd when he put Wilson in that position.. RUN THE BALL!!!!! I"m all for mixing it up but not in that situation it just wasn't worth risking it... Team was tired... We were up and time was a factor... It's a good thing we held um to a field goal after that turn-over...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boogiewithstu2007,
You should try posting in the game thread once in a while. Be one of the guys.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boogie!

YES!!!! omg, I wrote the exact same thing in the game thread. "Why are we not running the freaking ball!?!" was pretty much the only thing that came to my mind at that moment.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We finally got the passing game going tonight. I'm glad they kept doing it into the fourth. RW needed a game like this.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boogie!

YES!!!! omg, I wrote the exact same thing in the game thread. "Why are we not running the freaking ball!?!" was pretty much the only thing that came to my mind at that moment.

I know man... It was maddening... Like I said it's great to mix it up during the game but sometimes you gotta call situational football... Clock was our friend at that point RUN THE DAM ROCK! Especially with our O-line protection problems right now... No reason to risk it...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no problems with passing it, as long as the team executed this isn't a discussion. The big play calling issues I had were actually defensive. I hate the prevent stuff we get into when up late in games. I know we were up big, but Arizona had a chance to make it a 1 posession game late because we purposely made our defense soft and allowed them to march down the field. Their longest drive before the prevent shit was 27 yards! They had a grand total of 149 with 8 minutes left in the game, and got 115 before the end. Seahawks mistakes kept the game closer than it should have been, but the defensive play calling didn't finish them off, and Arizona had the ball at their own 30 down 12 with 4 minutes to play. No excuse to not just finish the game and go home 34-16. BTW, the zone set up Sherman on the block by Fitz, so it potentially could have cost us one of our best players, as that seems to happen when you don't play your game.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Near the end of the 3rd quarter and into the 4th I got pretty ticked off we were even throwing the ball being up comfortably and time being a factor... Especially with our O=line protection problems... I think overall Bevell called a good game but RUN THE DAM ROCK BEVELL!!!! We were UP comfortably and there was no reason at that point to risk a turn-over deep in our territory... I was screaming near the end of the 3rd when he put Wilson in that position.. RUN THE BALL!!!!! I"m all for mixing it up but not in that situation it just wasn't worth risking it... Team was tired... We were up and time was a factor... It's a good thing we held um to a field goal after that turn-over...

Bevell called a great game for the first 20 minutes and then it went progressively down hill.

I've come to accept that he's going to make idiot calls in every game.

1. It's time PC pulls Bevell aside and tell him we will NEVER run another empty backfield again.

2. Can we run a screen or more quick hitters when we're inside or near our 20 when we have backup/rookie tackles manning the edge? The first fumble, RWill, has 50% responsibility and only 1 of 2 mistakes, but why not have Zach run 5 yds up the field, turn around and catch the bullet. That play seemingly works everytime.

3. With our great Defense and outstanding punter, it's o.k. to run those quick hitters in an attempt to get a 1st down inside our 20. I'm not advocating running Beast off guard 3 straight times, but make the simple pass plays. It gets the ball out of RWill's hands and if we don't get a 1st down, then we blast a punt and put our strength back on the field. At times, Bevell needs to call smart plays.

If we play a Saint or Packer squad, those type of play calls and turnovers are going to lead to our demise.

4. While I'm going to be concerned about Bevell's play calling when we get into the playoffs, my biggest concern right now with this OL and not executing calls accordingly is:

Bevell is going to send our franchise QB to the emergency room with his crap. We have Mr. Magoo at one tackle and Scooby Doo manning the other right now and he dials up empty backfield and long developing routes deep in our territory? :gaah:

Enough Bevell. Every time RWill drops back and an Abraham comes around the corner to clock RWill, twist his legs back or swipe at the ball, it's oh, no. No ACL's, no dislocated shoulders, no broken hands. I'm not a worrying type, either. But RWill is our boy and must be protected.

Heck, RWill running the read option, sliding, heading out of bounds or getting a slight bump is FAR SAFER than some of our plays. I can't wait for Okung to return and Bevell to leave. Someone take him off our hands.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no problems with passing it, as long as the team executed this isn't a discussion. The big play calling issues I had were actually defensive. I hate the prevent stuff we get into when up late in games. I know we were up big, but Arizona had a chance to make it a 1 posession game late because we purposely made our defense soft and allowed them to march down the field. Their longest drive before the prevent shit was 27 yards! They had a grand total of 149 with 8 minutes left in the game, and got 115 before the end. Seahawks mistakes kept the game closer than it should have been, but the defensive play calling didn't finish them off, and Arizona had the ball at their own 30 down 12 with 4 minutes to play. No excuse to not just finish the game and go home 34-16. BTW, the zone set up Sherman on the block by Fitz, so it potentially could have cost us one of our best players, as that seems to happen when you don't play your game.

I have a problem with it EVEN if we were successful with the play-call on the pass... I was screaming take it to the 4th, be conservative before the play even happened because our line was NOT protecting very well and we were up comfortably at the time... There was just no reason to risk EXACTLY what happened at that time during the game... I"m totally cool with mixing it up but there are times you gotta be conservative and smart as apposed to taking un-nessasary risks...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bevell called a great game for the first 20 minutes and then it went progressively down hill.

I've come to accept that he's going to make idiot calls in every game.

1. It's time PC pulls Bevell aside and tell him we will NEVER run another empty backfield again.

2. Can we run a screen or more quick hitters when we're inside or near our 20 when we have backup/rookie tackles manning the edge? The first fumble, RWill, has 50% responsibility and only 1 of 2 mistakes, but why not have Zach run 5 yds up the field, turn around and catch the bullet. That play seemingly works everytime.

3. With our great Defense and outstanding punter, it's o.k. to run those quick hitters in an attempt to get a 1st down inside our 20. I'm not advocating running Beast off guard 3 straight times, but make the simple pass plays. It gets the ball out of RWill's hands and if we don't get a 1st down, then we blast a punt and put our strength back on the field. At times, Bevell needs to call smart plays.

If we play a Saint or Packer squad, those type of play calls and turnovers are going to lead to our demise.

4. While I'm going to be concerned about Bevell's play calling when we get into the playoffs, my biggest concern right now with this OL and not executing calls accordingly is:

Bevell is going to send our franchise QB to the emergency room with his crap. We have Mr. Magoo at one tackle and Scooby Doo manning the other right now and he dials up empty backfield and long developing routes deep in our territory? :gaah:

Enough Bevell. Every time RWill drops back and an Abraham comes around the corner to clock RWill, twist his legs back or swipe at the ball, it's oh, no. No ACL's, no dislocated shoulders, no broken hands. I'm not a worrying type, either. But RWill is our boy and must be protected.

Heck, RWill running the read option, sliding, heading out of bounds or getting a slight bump is FAR SAFER than some of our plays. I can't wait for Okung to return and Bevell to leave. Someone take him off our hands.

Couldn't agree more... :suds:

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a problem with it EVEN if we were successful with the play-call on the pass... I was screaming take it to the 4th, be conservative before the play even happened because our line was NOT protecting very well and we were up comfortably at the time... There was just no reason to risk EXACTLY what happened at that time during the game... I"m totally cool with mixing it up but there are times you gotta be conservative and smart as apposed to taking un-nessasary risks...

I'm with ya' brother! I'm glad we were watching the same game. Great minds think alike...

:yahoo:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with ya' brother! I'm glad we were watching the same game. Great minds think alike...

:yahoo:

:yahoo: ... The thing is Bevell has moments where he mixes it up nicely and keeps defenses off balance... BUT THEN he get's crazy at times and your wondering WTF he's thinking in certain game-time situations.. I don't hate the guy but I sometimes wonder what game he's watching and why he's strategically giving the other team opportunities... Our line is WAY TO BEAT UP to be throwing deep in our territory up comfortably with time on our side, especially the way our D was playing... We basically handed the Cards points and it wasn't worth the risk ... Pete better override some of his craziness at times...

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the play-calling will look better on offense with our full complement of players that it does now. Sometimes execution makes a good call look bad. That being said, I agree that it's not the smartest thing in the world to keep throwing when you're up big in the 4th quarter and your quarterback has been getting pounded all night long. I have a bigger problem with that aspect of it than I do with the possibility of throwing incomplete passes and stopping the clock. If you must call pass plays in that situation, at least get your QB out of the pocket or call plays where he can get the ball out quickly or at the very least, don't run plays out of sets that scream pass play. That's just playing with fire. I realize that the passing game isn't where they want it to be and that you can only improve it so much in practice, but if it comes down to getting the passing game fixed and keeping your quarterback upright as much as possible, your quarterback's well-being has to be the priority because it's more likely to get fixed when your quarterback is healthy enough to run it.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No i was not upset one bit about how the offense was playing in the 3rd and 4th. They still ran the ball 32 times more than they threw it.What upset me was the soft zone defense they played for most of the 4th quarter. THAT pissed me off. Cards barely had 100 yards total offense and then put up like 120 yards on that soft zone defense.

I always felt doing that is giving up, all it takes is for one fluky thing to happen and you just gave away a game because of the BS soft zone. Play to the strength of this team and ATTACK until the whistle blows.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No i was not upset one bit about how the offense was playing in the 3rd and 4th. They still ran the ball 32 times more than they threw it.What upset me was the soft zone defense they played for most of the 4th quarter. THAT pissed me off. Cards barely had 100 yards total offense and then put up like 120 yards on that soft zone defense.

I always felt doing that is giving up, all it takes is for one fluky thing to happen and you just gave away a game because of the BS soft zone. Play to the strength of this team and ATTACK until the whistle blows.

You're honestly saying that the play calling inside our 20 was acceptable to you with a sieve at LT and a rookie at RT?

We gave them a gift TD, were lucky Bowie recovered the blindside smash and fumble and gave them another FG. No reason with our D and punter.

If you think that's acceptable, then you're pretty lenient in your viewing. Bevell sucks ballz and it should be pretty obvious after the 1st 20 minutes.

Heck the game was a 34-6 game w knowledgable play calling after the 1st 20 minutes and we wouldn't have had to worry about our D that dominated all night, playing end of game zone.

C'mon, 12, you're more astute than that.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're talking about a quarter plus. I know that it's easy to say that the Hawks were running on them cause the game ended with 135 yard, but after the opening drive the Seahawks were only averaging 3.6 yards a carry, so not exactly dominating. Calling for a 4 minute offense with more than 15 to go is a little early.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell had not had issues holding onto the ball when getting hit. This is something new in the past few weeks. He will fix it and those sack fumbles will just turn into sacks. YOU CAN NOT blame a OC for a defense stripping the ball. That is just a cop-out. Also the Hawks ran the Ball well and should have ran Lynch another 4 to 5 times but lets look at something. In the 4th quarter AZ had the ball for like 10 minutes. The Soft zone allowed them to hold onto the ball and drive repeatedly down the field for scores.

Now if you get out of the Soft zone and play man to man they maybe have the ball 4 minutes of the 4th with Seattle controlling the rest of the time also getting most likely 5-8 more running plays. No this is not Bevels fault this is once again a team that doesn't understand HOW TO PUT YOUR FOOT ON THE THROAT of a team late in games. That all falls on Carrol. He is to nice some times and sooner or later it will bite us in the ass. This is football you can not pansy ass your way around. Go out there and punch them in the mouth till the play clock hits 00:00. When they pull that BS soft zone it screams "i do not trust my defense to stop them" so we will make them use up as much clock as we can BEFORE they score -.-

You know what the TOP was for the game? or the total plays ran? here i will tell you.
TOP Az 32:20 Sea 27:40 Total Plays Az 70 Sea 64.
Do you not see the problem there?

I still am waiting to see a complete game from this team. This was the closest we have had so far but the Turn overs ruined it. Sure as long as we only have 2 starting olineman playing their normal position ( Sweezy and Unger ) it's going to be rough but lets be real here. The Defense is the Heart of this team and you can not put it on life support once you have a 14 point lead. ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch are the leaders on this offense. I say do not take the ball out of Russell's hands just to pad Lynch's stats but i also say do not take the ball out of Lynch's hands to pad Russell's stats. Balance is key here and will make both more successful. 29 passing attempts and 32 rushing attemps is pretty good. Now had they not played that BS Soft zone we should have seen it more like 30-32 passing attempts and 38-40 rushing attempts. The Soft Zone Hurts more than it helps and needs to be thrown into the trash like YESTERDAY.

Like the announcers said last night. " Do you think THIS defense likes playing soft zone?" " They are predators and need to attack"

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah, seriously, once we went into zone, it felt like the players just gave up. Yes, it is designed to keep the clock running and make the opponent move down the field in small chunks, but these guys want to trample the other team, not in a bad sportsmen type of way, but just show the world what we can do kind of thing. They got back to it a bit more after AZ scored the TD.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah, seriously, once we went into zone, it felt like the players just gave up. Yes, it is designed to keep the clock running and make the opponent move down the field in small chunks, but these guys want to trample the other team, not in a bad sportsmen type of way, but just show the world what we can do kind of thing. They got back to it a bit more after AZ scored the TD.

here is something Octagondd you might like.
All the Cards drives BEFORE the Hawks went into a "soft zone" average yards gained.
14.9 average yards PER drive

After the soft zone
57.5 average yards PER drive

I hate prevent.

149 yards total for the Cards through 3 and 1/3rd quarters
115 yards for 2/3rds of the 4th quarter. Almost DOUBLED their output.