• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DH interview at Big 12 media days

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holgorsen: Trickett Ready to Lead in '14 - WVU Athletics

I think we are going to see DH improve this team and teams in the future, I could be wrong and posters like DAD may be right he can't coach even though we had a 10-3 season in our old conf.

Regardless though of where you stand on that arguement, how do some of you act like he has not been handcuffed by the lack of depth? Most coaches in their first couple of years have to work on getting players to adapt to their system, not just building numbers.

I am in the camp that even at 4-8 last year DH actually did a pretty good job with the hand he was dealt...I may be in the minority butI think we have a pretty good coach who is going to break though again!!

LET'S GO!!!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holgorsen: Trickett Ready to Lead in '14 - WVU Athletics

I think we are going to see DH improve this team and teams in the future, I could be wrong and posters like DAD may be right he can't coach even though we had a 10-3 season in our old conf.

Regardless though of where you stand on that arguement, how do some of you act like he has not been handcuffed by the lack of depth? Most coaches in their first couple of years have to work on getting players to adapt to their system, not just building numbers.

I am in the camp that even at 4-8 last year DH actually did a pretty good job with the hand he was dealt...I may be in the minority butI think we have a pretty good coach who is going to break though again!!

LET'S GO!!!
:agree:

Bat 20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this says a quite a bit:

"The days of rolling through the Big East and being able to play in a BCS game are long gone. We're not thinking about that anymore. Although that was fun and that was a huge moment in West Virginia University, it's a whole different ballgame right now,"

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mixed bag for me. I'll never say good job at 4-8 especially when we lost multiple games with 4th quarter leads. That being said, I do think DH has the potential to turn it around

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the world can you say 4-8 is a good job when the team beat OSU, played toe to toe with OU, Texas, BUT then lost two games to two of the worst teams in football with a bowl on the line? They barely beat William and Mary, last year was a horrible year, a display of poor coaching. 10-3 was due to players having effective defensive coaching with Casteel still there. I have seen nothing from Holgorsen except regression, again as someone stated above, I could be wrong, and Holgorsen might be the next Saban, but I dont see it.

aussierugbyfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could sure tell the media was not very interested in WVU this year

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the world can you say 4-8 is a good job when the team beat OSU, played toe to toe with OU, Texas, BUT then lost two games to two of the worst teams in football with a bowl on the line? They barely beat William and Mary, last year was a horrible year, a display of poor coaching. 10-3 was due to players having effective defensive coaching with Casteel still there. I have seen nothing from Holgorsen except regression, again as someone stated above, I could be wrong, and Holgorsen might be the next Saban, but I dont see it.

With the roster we had...the fact that more than half the offense had never played together before August to even be in those games I think was a good job....yes there were mistakes, but this Team had no chance to come together since we were so focus on filling holes due to lack of bodies..Casteels defense when he was here never had to rely on so many freshmen....so 10-3 was all Casteel and his defense...guess the 3 L's were on DH?

This is just my opinion, I think DH is growing into a better coach like this team is growing to be better...I think patience will pay off.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They barely beat William and Mary.

What does this mean? It wasn't a last second play that won that game, the defense (who sucked) pitched a shut out in the second half.

If I recall in 2010 you thought our win at Marshall was a great feat! What is the difference? If anything that was a true "barely" win.....

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The question that begs to be asked is whether the Oklahoma and Oklahoma games were the result of a genius coach who took a vastly inferior team and played incredible games or were the Iowa State and Kansas losses where a vastly superior team took the field and lost to someone they should never have?

I think that it is a little bit of both. What I do see is that DH is learning from his previous mistakes. Defensive coaching has been poor since Casteel left...bring in Bill Bradley. Lack of a true leader last year...cut the QB controversy and name a starter in June. Remember, it took Dandy Don over 10 years before he was able to post an undefeated season. I look for more consistencyin the future from this coaching staff.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question that begs to be asked is whether the Oklahoma and Oklahoma games were the result of a genius coach who took a vastly inferior team and played incredible games or were the Iowa State and Kansas losses where a vastly superior team took the field and lost to someone they should never have?

I think that it is a little bit of both. What I do see is that DH is learning from his previous mistakes. Defensive coaching has been poor since Casteel left...bring in Bill Bradley. Lack of a true leader last year...cut the QB controversy and name a starter in June. Remember, it took Dandy Don over 10 years before he was able to post an undefeated season. I look for more consistencyin the future from this coaching staff.

Giving up a 24 point lead to IAST answers your first point...... I dont think anyone is expecting an undefeated year anytime soon, and see little of when Nehlen did it that relates to today. What makes you say he has learned from previous mistakes? I saw some of the same clock issues, poor communication, lack of effective play calling at the end of 2013 as I saw in the first game.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving up a 24 point lead to IAST answers your first point...... I dont think anyone is expecting an undefeated year anytime soon, and see little of when Nehlen did it that relates to today. What makes you say he has learned from previous mistakes? I saw some of the same clock issues, poor communication, lack of effective play calling at the end of 2013 as I saw in the first game.

I seen some of that, but I also seen a worn down team that had no depth, caused by a coach before him that was in over his head. That left our team with do depth. The team was injured, from having to play so many downs without a rest because there was no depth.

I will admit when Stewart got hired I was on that bandwagon. I don't think anyone ever loved WVU more then him. However he was in over his head. He said when he was hired that if he was in over his head, he would step down. Sometimes when we are failing we are the last to see it. We would have been hard pressed to win 2 games with our old ball coach at the helm in my opinion.