• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez threatens hold out

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a shortsighted view though. It's not just pay good player, cut bad player. There is a cap!!! Each player has a perceived value and that determines the $ amount. Why doesn't Dez drop his demands a little? It works both ways. I am confident the team and Dez will work something out and I want Dez here long term. But, that is a different discussion then holding out for regular season games. That would be a total dick move any way you slice it. Even talking about it is kind of a dick move. Dez still has a lot to learn and #1 is to tell your agent he works for you, not vice versa
I think its totally wirhin his right for him to hold out and make whatever statement favors him getting the deal he needs to secure himself. This is an eatem up and spitem out league. Teams are going to do whats best for them and players have to do the same. The NFL stands for not for long best quote ever. I think Jerry Glanville said it. How is it short sighted try to secure the best deal you possibly can?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it more about a long term deal for Dez. I'm sure he'd be happy to play for 12M a year it that contract is good for 6 or 7 years. Playing on the tag is risky for the player. If he has a career ending injury his payday is 12M and that's as ll folks.

I don't know what Dez will take but I can't hate if he doesn't play under the tag.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it more about a long term deal for Dez. I'm sure he'd be happy to play for 12M a year it that contract is good for 6 or 7 years. Playing on the tag is risky for the player. If he has a career ending injury his payday is 12M and that's as ll folks.

I don't know what Dez will take but I can't hate if he doesn't play under the tag.
It's all about the guaranteed dollars over term....you see it everyday in this league. So whats dez seeking? 40M?, 50M?...well darn near 13M is guaranteed the moment he signs the F-tag tender. The cap is going up and Dallas can F-tag him again at about 15M guaranteed for 2016. That becomes 28M over the next two years guaranteed and then Dez can hit the open market for that max deal he seeks. He's a rich man either way and that health bull talk is a risk they ALL TAKE to play in this league. Again, Dez made short of 12M since he's been a pro. He's elite in a league with several elite at that position.. He's going to make more money this next season than he's made altogether and I'll hate on his ass if he won't play under the tag. I don't expect it to get this far but yes I will hate on his farce ass if he were to sit games AFTER signing his tender. The player has no leverage if he's the teammate his council is selling. I tell you if Thomas were to sign long term, Dez's deal would get done 5 days later if not sooner.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about the guaranteed dollars over term....you see it everyday in this league. So whats dez seeking? 40M?, 50M?...well darn near 13M is guaranteed the moment he signs the F-tag tender. The cap is going up and Dallas can F-tag him again at about 15M guaranteed for 2016. That becomes 28M over the next two years guaranteed and then Dez can hit the open market for that max deal he seeks. He's a rich man either way and that health bull talk is a risk they ALL TAKE to play in this league. Again, Dez made short of 12M since he's been a pro. He's elite in a league with several elite at that position.. He's going to make more money this next season than he's made altogether and I'll hate on his ass if he won't play under the tag. I don't expect it to get this far but yes I will hate on his farce ass if he were to sit games AFTER signing his tender. The player has no leverage if he's the teammate his council is selling. I tell you if Thomas were to sign long term, Dez's deal would get done 5 days later if not sooner.

All true but what guarantees do you get under the tag if you are injured.
The tag pays $$$$$ but no guarantees or long term deal. It's a risk the player has to decide to take or not. The tag is there to protect the team, not benifit the player.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez is looking for big guaranteed dollars. And why shouldn't he? He is one of the top 5 offensive threats in this league, and the best red zone weapon in football. So what if he can get a little emotional at times, the guy works his ass off Monday through Sunday and leaves it all on the field. His teammates love him.

Why should Dez play under the tag? Just playing devil's advocate here, Dez has worked his entire life for this contract, and that is no exaggeration, he has every right to hold out for the 40-50 million guaranteed that he has coming to him. Why should he play under the tag of 12.8 million? All it takes is one nasty concussion and Bryant may never be the same again. What happens in the event of a major leg injury, like needing micro-fracture surgery? His future earning potential could be shot to hell. I don't begrudge Dez one bit for holding out for the money, he has to take care of himself and ensure his future.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol....it's no different than a player playing on his last year of his contract or playing on a one year type deal.
12.8M is a lot of money for any football player to make in a season and Dez is no different than any other player playing a season on a francize tag. I don't think it gets that far but Dez is an idiot to sit out games at the tune of $800K per game check.

also....it's highly debatable Dez is a top 5 offensive players. I'll settle for one of the games elite

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Totally agree

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol....it's no different than a player playing on his last year of his contract or playing on a one year type deal.
12.8M is a lot of money for any football player to make in a season and Dez is no different than any other player playing a season on a francize tag. I don't think it gets that far but Dez is an idiot to sit out games at the tune of $800K per game check.

also....it's highly debatable Dez is a top 5 offensive players. I'll settle for one of the games elite
While I don't necessarily disagree with this we all know the second contract is where guys make most of their money if he gets hurt under the franchise tag he's done making real money. I alluded to this earlier. I think Manster may have said it more clearly. If the Cowboys move on from Dez which is doubtful the better have a serious plan b in mind. If you don't trust Dez and thats why you fear making a long term deal then your screwed.

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dez is taking such a risk by playing under the franchise tag because he might get hurt, isn't the franchise taking the exact same risk by giving a player guaranteed money? Once the contract is signed, if Dez gets hurt then he gets his money. What does the franchise get? A large hit on the cap and nothing to show for it.

My point, however, is not that I'm against Dez getting a contract. He should get all he can. That's capitalism, and I'm all for capitalism. What I am against is a guy who wants to be paid at a high rate, sitting out when a quarter of that high rate is already guaranteed to him in just one year.

I'm not hating on him. I just think it's a bunch of nonsense to say, "I don't want to risk injury under a one year franchise tag." Well, then why should the franchise want to risk the injury under a long term deal?

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dez is taking such a risk by playing under the franchise tag because he might get hurt, isn't the franchise taking the exact same risk by giving a player guaranteed money? Once the contract is signed, if Dez gets hurt then he gets his money. What does the franchise get? A large hit on the cap and nothing to show for it.

My point, however, is not that I'm against Dez getting a contract. He should get all he can. That's capitalism, and I'm all for capitalism. What I am against is a guy who wants to be paid at a high rate, sitting out when a quarter of that high rate is already guaranteed to him in just one year.

I'm not hating on him. I just think it's a bunch of nonsense to say, "I don't want to risk injury under a one year franchise tag." Well, then why should the franchise want to risk the injury under a long term deal?

Yes the franchise takes risks when they sign players to long term high dollar guaranteed contracts. I don't blame the teams for using the tag but I understand why the players don't like them.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

10-4...no pity party from me for Dez if he HAS TO MAKE 12.8M this season

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You always have a very balanced rational point of view, your obviously a smart guy. There are exceptions to every rule. I think it is generally agreed upon that qb, LT, and DE are the key building blocks for success, however I also believe an Elite wr has more or equal earning potential than all positions except for an elite qb or de. Few teams have the situation we have. An near elite qb. An elite wr and a LTthats elite.

Here is my problem with this situation and a couple similar ones every year. It's $12M! I get that injury could strike and guys want that $20M signing bonus, but this is part of the deal. The CBA was negotiated by both sides and this is how it works. I'm not going to side with any player that has the chance to play for a fair value deal at this $ amount and his pay day is on the horizon. I feel more for a guy like Russell Wilson playing for well below his value because it's a rookie deal. I don't understand the comments sometime that the team should just sign a player because he is good or great. Both sides need to give a little and find the right deal. Luck is a great young cornerstone QB that any team would want, but should Indy give him $50M per year just because he asks for it?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10-4...no pity party from me for Dez if he HAS TO MAKE 12.8M this season

That is exactly my point. We all know what Dez or any player wants, but it's $13M!!! Not bad to have to "settle" for that. Don't they get why the fans come out against them in these situations?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of points to address...

1. Pday, I should clarify about Dez being a top 5 offensive player. I should have noted I was only speaking of pass catchers and runners, not QB's and OL. I said top 5 offensive threats, and I should have been clearer. I can't think of 5 WR's/TE's or RB's I would rather have instead of Dez over the next few years - maybe that's just me though?

2. In regards to Dez not wanting to play for the franchise tender, as a few other posters have said it's not that 12.8 million isn't enough, it's just that it guarantees Dez nothing beyond this year. Injuries, sometimes catastrophic injuries, are an all too real part of this game, and a player's career can be over in a blink. If you have your chance to swing for the fences to land the mega deal that your talent and production suggests you deserve, you have to do it. The difference between 12.8 million guaranteed and 35+ million guaranteed should not be undersold. Tomorrow isn't promised, so get as much as you can today - or as they say "get it while the get'n is good".

3. I'm reading that Denver may be close to signing D.Thomas -- that would be great for Dallas' negotiations. Thomas is a near direct comparable player to Dez, and probably is just a slight cut above Dez in terms of total production and lack of character concerns. Hopefully Denver does well in this deal, as it will likely set the market for Dez.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt that Dez is a top 5 WR from a pure talent point of view. Because of his self destructive side I'm not 100% sure I would say I wouldn't rather have 5 different guys. But, all these guys have their issues. Let's take Julio Jones who to me is the second best after Calvin and IMO no one is close. He may not have the self destructive side that Dez does, but Julio has injury issues. So in a way Dez's desire to play and to play while injured offsets his issues. But, then we have the recurring back issue too!!! So, it's not as simple as is he one of the best players. He'll get paid, just a matter of when and a slight chance of by who...

huntingpa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really have a feeling the reason he has not signed has to do more with the language of the contract than the money itself. Remember they both thought they had a contract signed prior to the start of last season but the wording caused it to fall through.

Not knowing Dez but when you see him talk about this game and the team you can see that he obviously plays this game for the game and not for the money. He is "willing" to give up game checks to get a long term deal and get paid less money this season for security.

If the NFL would pull its head out of its own ass and give Dallas and Hardy its answer, Dez would get his contract sooner. $6 million sits in limbo with the Hardy contract

nutz6977

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure I would take any other receiver over Dez. There is something to be said about the way he plays the game. Something about the fact that he can seem almost impossible to cover and when he gets the ball he is hell to bring down. I think the way he plays the game may concern his group when talking about playing on the f-tag. Of all the receivers out there I think Dez plays with a wreck less abandon that others don't. He is the kind of player that can alter how others play as well. Dez gives you 110% and wants to get paid like it. On the other side I am enjoying the way the team is being run now and normally would side with the team. It's ok to prove your point with Scandrick but Dez is on a different level. Pay that man his money!!

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a player this is really the only weapon in your arsenal when it comes to playing hardball and trying to get the contract you want so I'm not completely against players doing this sort of thing. You have to look out for you as much as we just like to think of the team.

Also, just get the deal done. I'd rather he get his money, be happy and then go out and play (obviously this could backfire if he mails it in after his big payday). If he doesn't have a contract will he go nuts to increase his amount or will he go out there and play to not get hurt?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a player this is really the only weapon in your arsenal when it comes to playing hardball and trying to get the contract you want so I'm not completely against players doing this sort of thing. You have to look out for you as much as we just like to think of the team.

Also, just get the deal done. I'd rather he get his money, be happy and then go out and play (obviously this could backfire if he mails it in after his big payday). If he doesn't have a contract will he go nuts to increase his amount or will he go out there and play to not get hurt?

I don't think that is a concern. Dez clearly loves football, he has always come to work and practiced and played the game hard. I can't see a hyper competitive guy like Dez just mailing it in on the field.