• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2016 Thread

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a realist.

Which is why I'm pessimistic.

Lol
I am not on here predicting the Tigers are going to win the WS this year.. but some of the stuff you point out is comically pessimistic.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Fulmer begins the season in Detroit, but I could see him as a mid-season call-up.
I agree... but if he comes up and does well.. Pelfrey is gone.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, with Sanchez a wild card. My only issue with Norris, as I stated on the 2015 thread, is he likely will pitch out of the #5 spot to limit his innings to around 150. He's never thrown more than 131 IP in a season -- that was 2014 (124.1 in the minors, 6.2 with Toronto). If he does really well with a lot of quality starts, he could be shut down as soon as late August.
He is super young.. so they are not going to be able to load up his innings... He doesn't even turn 23 until the end of April.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh.. and the Braves had to throw cash in the deal to get the Tigers to give up Krol and said single A pitcher.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh.. and the Braves had to throw cash in the deal to get the Tigers to give up Krol and said single A pitcher.

LOL, that's right. Maybin is basically an expendable roster-filler. He does a couple things well (running, fielding), but simply has never hit at the Major League level like he was expected to as a prospect.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cancer isn't curable that I'm aware of.
ummm.. yes.. it is. certain types are not.. but thyroid cancer is most certainly curable.. those that catch it early have a 97% cure rate.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, that's right. Maybin is basically an expendable roster-filler. He does a couple things well (running, fielding), but simply has never hit at the Major League level like he was expected to as a prospect.
Unless he has a HUGE year.. I doubt Maybin is back next year. He basically getting paid what Davis was last year and is younger. He took Rajai Davis's money and roster spot in my eyes.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a realist.

Lol
Bro, after last season I can fully understand. But you have to pretty much roll with this team for the time being. I don't think anyone dreamed of Al Avila as GM.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bro, after last season I can fully understand. But you have to pretty much roll with this team for the time being. I don't think anyone dreamed of Al Avila as GM.
I assumed Avila would take over. Posted it on this board when people bashed DD.

But I didn't assume he'd add one of the worst vets this division had to his rotation.

Why would someone do that? Or bother defending it? Or even try to defend it? Or even think about trying.....

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
broncosmitty said:
I'm a realist.

Lol

The Tigers led the league in batting average, were #2 or #3 in OBP and I think 4th in runs. Their problem was an ERA around 4.30. I think they've done a lot on the pitching front to bring that number down considerably. Is it enough? Well, that's why they play the games.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assumed Avila would take over. Posted it on this board when people bashed DD.

But I didn't assume he'd add one of the worst vets this division had to his rotation.

Why would someone do that? Or bother defending it? Or even try to defend it? Or even think about trying.....
It makes me laugh that you put so much focus on the Pelfrey signing. I am not a fan of him.. and they could have spent the money in a better way... but seriously.. you are harping on it like you expect to get a CY Young Caliber free agent for 8 mil a yr or something.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers led the league in batting average, were #2 or #3 in OBP and I think 4th in runs. Their problem was an ERA around 4.30. I think they've done a lot on the pitching front to bring that number down considerably. Is it enough? Well, that's why they play the games.
The biggest help is going to be adding Wilson from the Yankees and Lowe to the pen. Rodrieguez is probably going to be about the same as Soria was last year... but the biggest difference will be the fact the Tigers will have much more quality depth in the bullpen. The rotation depends on Sanchez imo. Verlander is capable of putting up the same numbers that Price did for the Tigers in the first half of last year... Zimmerman and Norris can be very solid. All Pelfrey has to do is eat some innings to save the bullpen from over work and I think they can be in it around the deadline when they can try to add to the team and make a run.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes me laugh that you put so much focus on the Pelfrey signing. I am not a fan of him.. and they could have spent the money in a better way... but seriously.. you are harping on it like you expect to get a CY Young Caliber free agent for 8 mil a yr or something.

Yeah, he's grossly overpaid at $8 mill a year, but then a LOT of mediocre pitchers are getting $12-$14 mill a year. Sadly, that is what $8 mill a year buys in 2016 ... a below-average, back-of-the-rotation starter.

From a team standpoint, Pelfrey's 4.52 career ERA puts him in Alfredo Simon territory, and hell, Simon won 13 games with a 5.05 ERA last year. With those two a wash, the rotation of a healthy Verlander, Zimmerman and most of the year with Norris is still a considerable upgrade over the crap the team threw out there last year. And I can't see Sanchez, if he's reasonably healthy, serving up 29 home runs in 25 starts again.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he's grossly overpaid at $8 mill a year, but then a LOT of mediocre pitchers are getting $12-$14 mill a year. Sadly, that is what $8 mill a year buys in 2016 ... a below-average, back-of-the-rotation starter.

From a team standpoint, Pelfrey's 4.52 career ERA puts him in Alfredo Simon territory, and hell, Simon won 13 games with a 5.05 ERA last year. With those two a was, the rotation of a healthy Verlander, Zimmerman and most of the year with Norris is still a considerable upgrade over the crap the team threw out there last year. And I can't see Sanchez, if he's reasonably healthy, serving up 29 home runs in 25 starts again.

My biggest issue with the signing is that Avila signed a guy like pelfrey so fast... without letting the market set. Its one thing to do that with top end free agents.. but you don't need to do that with a back end starter like pelfrey. it made no sense. there are still plenty of guys of his caliber or better available.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of people dismiss what 4 years of playoff runs does to guys healthwise. I think the entire core of the Tigers is going to be much better this year just because they got longer time to recover. The Royals are going to start to show the wear and tear of long playoff runs this year too. Verlander threw a ton of innings for years... the fact he missed half of last year and got a full offseason is going to be huge for him. Sanchez scares me.. but he could just as easily have a CY Young caliber season in my eyes as have another stinker.. there literally is no telling what he is going to do.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this.. If Sanchez has a solid season and is healthy at the end of the year... I would trade his ass so fast its not even funny. Heck.. if the Tigers are out of it at the trade deadline and he is pitching well i would unload him. I don't trust the guy at all.. but when he is good.. he is top of the rotation good....