• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Desean Jackson

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind that DJack was the Eagles best receiver last year, is in the prime of his career and they are taking a $6+ million dollar cap hit by releasing him, but they still feel that releasing him is the better option? Those are some major RED flags, right there. Seems that there is something seriously wrong here that is not totally explained and I would prefer the Hawks just stayed away from this one.

100% agree with this. There has to be something serious about Jackson that has not been reported. I have to imagine that there is something more than gang affiliation because there are plenty of NFL players with sketchy friends, the fact that the Eagles are willing to take a huge cap hit AND lose a 27 year old 1,300 yard WR is a massive red flag.

I'd even be skeptical about adding him on a 1 year deal because of this.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a perfect world, we stay away and he ends up outside of the NFC West.

I think the Cheifs, Raiders or Jets make the most sense. Im guessing he goes to one of those threee.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. This team didn't need a great receiver last year and they don't need one going forward. Lock up Wilson/Sherman/Thomas and continue building through the draft.

IMO this was an A+ offseason for the Hawks. There's zero free agents that were worth any significant money outside of Bennett who was the rare build that fits this D and he plays near 100% of the snaps.

I don't want DeSean. This team is built around a 'team focus' (what's good for the team, not about me) style where selfish play is not tolerated. DeSean is a selfish person and he doesn't fit in here.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. This team didn't need a great receiver last year and they don't need one going forward. Lock up Wilson/Sherman/Thomas and continue building through the draft.

IMO this was an A+ offseason for the Hawks. There's zero free agents that were worth any significant money outside of Bennett who was the rare build that fits this D and he plays near 100% of the snaps.

I don't want DeSean. This team is built around a 'team focus' (what's good for the team, not about me) style where selfish play is not tolerated. DeSean is a selfish person and he doesn't fit in here.

I watch as much football as anybody and I don't ever remember any reports of Jackson being a bad teammate or bad locker room guy. The first anyone heard about the "gang" stuff was yesterday as far as I know. Maybe I missed something but I really don't remember hearing about all of the "team cancer" stuff that people are talking about all of a sudden.

“Once you’re tagged with being a certain type of way, it’s kind of hard to get rid of,” linebackerMychal Kendricks said Wednesday in an interview with NFL Network. “But I’ve known DeSean Jackson since he went to Cal and he’s always been a good guy. I can’t sit here and say anything bad about him. … He’s very to himself and relax and chill. He does his job, he does it well.”

I guess its all percpective. Obviously not everyone thinks he's some thug or bad guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the gang rumors and that he's some huge asshole are bullshit.

The reason he won't go to Seattle is the same reason he's not coming to New England. Money.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree with this. There has to be something serious about Jackson that has not been reported. I have to imagine that there is something more than gang affiliation because there are plenty of NFL players with sketchy friends, the fact that the Eagles are willing to take a huge cap hit AND lose a 27 year old 1,300 yard WR is a massive red flag.

I'd even be skeptical about adding him on a 1 year deal because of this.

It's none of that. He was due 10 per for the next three years and didn't fit the direction chip Kelly wants to go on offense, or they could take the hit and free up 4 mil this year and 10 more each of the next two.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since nobody offered anything to the Eagles while they were shopping him he should know that he is going to be taking a pay cut no matter where he goes. The $10.25M was never going to happen. That is up there with Calvin Johnson kind of money and Jackson is no Calvin Johnson.

Seattle was going to pay Tate about $4M or $5M I think. So that's the starting point. If they were willing to pay $4M for a WR then how much more on top of that would you need to add to get DJack? Maybe $3M? I dunno. Just spitballing here. But if he'd sign for around $6-$8M would he be worth it? Probably. That would take care of a big need on the team and allow us to use the draft for OL and DL. The hiccup is going to be that Jackson will probably be looking for a long term deal with lots of guaranteed money. If Seattle's bean counters can get creative maybe its possible. Should be interesting to watch what happens if nothing else.

Including the dead money (which you have to IMO), Johnson is making 20, 24, 21, 17, and 18 from 2015 on. Desean isn't in the ballpark of Calvin money.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Including the dead money (which you have to IMO), Johnson is making 20, 24, 21, 17, and 18 from 2015 on. Desean isn't in the ballpark of Calvin money.

I was just talking about "per year" salary. I think Megatron makes about $10-$11M this year. You are probably right though if you include guaranteed money like signing bonuses and whatnot.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen would have been a nice addition if he came cheap, but wasn't in a position of great need for this team.

Jackson might complicate the dynamics of the offense on a team that is run first. Even if he came cheap, this just isn't the right team for him. Might be a different story if they didn't have Harvin, but they do have Percy and really don't need to spend cap space on another fast and dangerous receiver.

Not only do we need to spend what extra cap space we have to locking up either Thomas or Sherman this off season so we have room to franchising whichever one doesn't sign this year, but something few are talking about that may be huge moving forward is how many compensatory draft picks we are picking up for the 2015 draft and how high they are.

We have to keep finding those gems in the draft to make this work long term and I'd rather not see them spend ANY money, even cheap, on positions that aren't of dire need. It would be different it we were talking about an offensive lineman.

Keep those compensatory picks and lock up Sherman or Thomas and hit the draft hard.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y

I was just talking about "per year" salary. I think Megatron makes about $10-$11M this year. You are probably right though if you include guaranteed money like signing bonuses and whatnot.

Desean would have been at 8 per year to Johnson's 12.5, 16, 16.5 after this upcoming year which is still substantially below market value on a salary basis, ignoring all dead money.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to NFL network on Satellite radio this morning and it doesn't sound like Jackson will be coming to Seattle. They say that Oakland (who has a ton of available money) is willing to make a "very sizeable" offer to DJack.

There's no way we'll win a bidding war with Oakland this year and still be able to keep our own star players moving forward. Oh, well. Would have been nice to get him but not the end of the world to miss out. I'd like to see us re-sign Sydney Rice now. He's decent and knows the system, plus I think he'll be cheap.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the gang rumors and that he's some huge asshole are bullshit.

The reason he won't go to Seattle is the same reason he's not coming to New England. Money.

I agree that the gang rumors are rumors, but what doesn't help Desean's case is the fact he has pics of him with known gang members, making a gang sign to taunt Deangelo Hall and his buddy who is a gang member is a suspect in 2 murders.

The truth is Desean Jackson is an asshole. He's not a team guy and it showed by his teammates basically breathing a big sigh of relief now that he's gone. He publicly admitted he takes plays off, he admitted he took a whole season off because he wanted a new contract and he basically had to be baby sat by the Eagles security team. In my view, that's being a selfish asshole.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying he's a great guy.

I'm saying this gang shit is just that. Shit that means nothing. Half the league has "gang ties" of some magnitude.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also who cares if hes in a gang if he gets in trouble like aaron hernandez than he will face his prison charges and whatever teams signs him wont owe him a dime that contract is torn up. I think the gang thing was just the straw that broke the camels back, between the fighting on the sideline with the reciever coach, not showing up to meetings, asking for more money right after signing a huge deal, I think the eagles were just sick of him he is just a quite cancer. when they acquired sproles, signed cooper, and maclin coming back they knew jackson was going to bitch about not getting the ball.

but in jacksons defense he has never been in trouble he may have friends or know people in gangs in california but that has nothing to do with what jackson is doing in philly.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also who cares if hes in a gang if he gets in trouble like aaron hernandez than he will face his prison charges and whatever teams signs him wont owe him a dime that contract is torn up. I think the gang thing was just the straw that broke the camels back, between the fighting on the sideline with the reciever coach, not showing up to meetings, asking for more money right after signing a huge deal, I think the eagles were just sick of him he is just a quite cancer. when they acquired sproles, signed cooper, and maclin coming back they knew jackson was going to bitch about not getting the ball.

but in jacksons defense he has never been in trouble he may have friends or know people in gangs in california but that has nothing to do with what jackson is doing in philly.

He has been in trouble, it was Andy Reid and company that kept a tight lid on all his problems.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yah I think ultimately he became a big distraction for that team. Eagles are in a good place now with some young talent and QB Dog Killer off the team. Course they did sign Captain Butt Fumble so I digress. Either way though they probably just want to start fresh.

Either way though DeSean could play. He was an impact player and threat imo that you had to account for. Maclin is pretty good too though if he can stay healthy and the draft is loaded with wide receivers, so....

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Jackson got shit canned because he wouldn't work at practice and just had a me first attitude, and also " your not paying me enough", good luck with who ever signs him. The gang crap was just the icing.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like what kind of trouble?

What was reported was an excessive speeding ticket, which is minor. He actually was taken into custody because of drugs and illegal guns found in the back of his car. The Eagles haven't said yet and they may not, but multiple times they got a call from NFL security about him plus Eagles security was also involved on a couple of different occasions. A lot of problems were kept quiet to keep him from getting suspended.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sigh of relief that he didn't take some crazy discount for the 49rs …. That would a been a pretty dam tough receiving corp with Jackson in the slot wilt Boldin and Crabs on the outside.. $$$ just wasn't there though for the 49rs…