• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Derrick Henry in the NFL?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL ain't college ball.

You guys do notice that there are a fucking brazillion college players every year and the number that actually make the NFL and stick is minuscule in comparison. So any half assed guy can look decent depending on his competition.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL ain't college ball.

You guys do notice that there are a fucking brazillion college players every year and the number that actually make the NFL and stick is minuscule in comparison. So any half assed guy can look decent depending on his competition.
Yes, there are tons of guys that attempt to make the transition every year, and many that the "experts" consider locks as starters that flop. That said, this kid went to Bama and won the Heisman, not exactly your average, everyday player.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I question him at the next level too......simply because he isn't elusive, and will be a pretty easy target to hit.

Whether or not he's strong enough to run through that is the question, because he's going to get hit. A lot.

Really big RBs typically don't have great careers. But he may be strong enough to just run over guys.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I question him at the next level too......simply because he isn't elusive, and will be a pretty easy target to hit.

Whether or not he's strong enough to run through that is the question, because he's going to get hit. A lot.

Really big RBs typically don't have great careers. But he may be strong enough to just run over guys.
RBs in general don't have great careers at this point. I think Derrick Henry had the best Vertical Jump of any prospect going into college and respectable strength. He should have a level of explosiveness to work at the next level. That said, he could totally flop behind a bad oline, could have the same issues as Lacy or Richardson with staying in shape or more likely have the same issues Brandon Jacobs had where his YPC would get cut in half when his explosiveness wasn't there.

Speed backs have their issues in the NFL, too. Melvin Gordon was supposed to be the OROY favorite. Chiefs were able to improvise without Jamaal Charles and didnt miss a beat.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't look like a special RB at the next level...If I needed a big RB I wouldn't shy away from him though...should have a few 800-1000 yd seasons...probably will get through his rookie contract but that's it in terms of a difference maker.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say his height is one of my biggest concerns. As another poster pointed out big backs like him will take a lot of shots to the legs. Can he hold up? I think he will be decent and better than some of the Alabama RB's that have come out. I don't see a special career though.

I will say though I do like this RB class. I think there will be some real difference makers in year 1. Off the top of my head if in the right system Elliot, Dixon, and Booker are some of my favorite. Again this is if they go to the right system. Some teams out there it just seems like they have no clue what they are doing in the run game and I feel sorry for the RB's that have to waste away like that.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama backs haven't been all that hot in the league,
I wonder if some GM's will be gun shy?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, there are tons of guys that attempt to make the transition every year, and many that the "experts" consider locks as starters that flop. That said, this kid went to Bama and won the Heisman, not exactly your average, everyday player.

I know sweet fuck all about college ball other than it's college ball.

To win a Heisman can mean big fish in small pond and nothing else. It's happened before.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Running backs from schools like Wisconsin and Alabama are tough to judge because their offensive lines are usually incredibly dominant.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Running backs from schools like Wisconsin and Alabama are tough to judge because their offensive lines are usually incredibly dominant.

Agreed 100%. Teams stay away. I said that about Montee Ball and wasn't thrilled when the Broncos drafted him. Knew he wouldn't last in the NFL since his junior year at Wisconsin. Dead on bro.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id argue that all players on Alabama are tough to judge because their 4th-20th best players are so much better than every other team's 4th-20th best players.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id argue that all players on Alabama are tough to judge because their 4th-20th best players are so much better than every other team's 4th-20th best players.
Except at quarterback for some reason.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have to agree. I look at the fact that they have possibly 3 of their front-7 players all looking like 1st round picks. Is that because of just the top level talent all around them giving them all opportunities to make plays or are they actually worth that? We have seen Alabama players come in and dominate day 1 and others that never got started.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to agree. I look at the fact that they have possibly 3 of their front-7 players all looking like 1st round picks. Is that because of just the top level talent all around them giving them all opportunities to make plays or are they actually worth that? We have seen Alabama players come in and dominate day 1 and others that never got started.
Outside of Julio Jones, I'm having a hard time coming up with an Alabama player who exceeded expectations.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know sweet fuck all about college ball other than it's college ball.

To win a Heisman can mean big fish in small pond and nothing else. It's happened before.
The fact that he was at Alabama says he has talent and potential, as they don't recruit anything but the best high school recruits. As for being the big fish in a small pond I don't think that is true considering Bama is pretty much in the hunt for the playoff yearly.
Outside of Julio Jones, I'm having a hard time coming up with an Alabama player who exceeded expectations.
Yeah, the only skill position player I can think of is Jones, but they have a lot of their big uglies go on to be role players in the league. Also they haven't really exceeded expectations but both Rashad Johnson and Haha Clinton-Dix are quality players on playoff teams.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can Mosley is an Alabama player I really like. Marcell Dareus, Hightower, Mathis, and a few others that I wouldn't mind. I wouldn't say any Alabama player is under hyped though. Most of those were expected to be good

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that he was at Alabama says he has talent and potential, as they don't recruit anything but the best high school recruits. As for being the big fish in a small pond I don't think that is true considering Bama is pretty much in the hunt for the playoff yearly.

Maybe. But to me the fact is he is at Alabama says he is in college ball. Playoffs? Que?

And at that point I no longer live in British Columbia, Canada, I now reside in Missouri.

Show me.....