• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Derrick Henry in the NFL?

Brutal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
245 pounds with good speed, but.....

He doesn't appear to have the instincts needed to improvize at the NFL level when that hole just isnt there. He's kinda like Herschel Walker just not nearly as fast. Not a gifted runner but big, strong and fast.

Will he make it or be another Bama back that was far better at the NCAA level than in the NFL?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do believe a team with a solid running game/stout D can thrive in the NFL. So many good things happen when you're in third and short. The Seahawks/Panthers/Niners the best examples recently.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me of a young Ron Dayne

Brutal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me of a young Ron Dayne

I'll be damn, I was thinking about who he reminded me of, you got it....Ron Dayne. And as you know Wisconsin RB's haven't fared too well either at the NFL level.

Good one!

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be damn, I was thinking about who he reminded me off, you got it....Ron Dayne. And as you know Wisconsin RB's haven't fared too well either at the NFL level.

Good one!

I'm sure he could have a few decent seasons, but a few injuries and he'll start to slow. He should only be drafted by a power blocking team with an established o-line imo 3rd round at the earliest

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he could have a few decent seasons, but a few injuries and he'll start to slow. He should only be drafted by a power blocking team with an established o-line imo 3rd round at the earliest
That said a team in need of a strong running back will probably fall in love with him and draft him too early.

Brutal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I totally agree with what should happen (as you nailed it), but something tells me some team with take him way before that.

Brutal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said a team in need of a strong running back will probably fall in love with him and draft him too early.

Hell, that's what I just said, yep, I see what you see also.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll go in the 2nd round IMO. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised either if he goes late 1st. Dude is a freak athlete even for the NFL. He's a sub 4.6 guy at 240+ lbs and is strong as an ox with really good feet and vision.

The big question is going to be whether his size (height) keeps him from staying healthy at the next level. Tall RB's like him just take a pounding on their legs in the NFL.

Brutal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll go in the 2nd round IMO. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised either if he goes late 1st. Dude is a freak athlete even for the NFL. He's a sub 4.6 guy at 240+ lbs and is strong as an ox with really good feet and vision.

The big question is going to be whether his size (height) keeps him from staying healthy at the next level. Tall RB's like him just take a pounding on their legs in the NFL.

Ok I agree with all that except his vision. I don't see that aspect of his game like you do. He's not real nifty, elusive, more a one cut and go guy with a lot of power and straight line speed.

Remember Calvin Hill with the Cowboys, he was 6-5 or was it 6-4, he had that kind of stride, but wasn't as fast.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I agree with all that except his vision. I don't see that aspect of his game like you do. He's not real nifty, elusive, more a one cut and go guy with a lot of power and straight line speed.

Remember Calvin Hill with the Cowboys, he was 6-5 or was it 6-4, he had that kind of stride, but wasn't as fast.

I've seen him make some pretty impressive cut backs for a guy his size.

There is no doubt that he is a one cut, downhill runner in the NFL. But you put him in a ZBS and teams are still going to have to play the backside because he has the ability and vision to put his foot down, cut it back and get to the backside.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally missed this post when I was on the NFL draft board.

Henry is a mix between Steven Jackson and Brandon Jacobs but I worry about his Alabama workload. He should go top of the 2nd round and I like him more than Yeldon and Lacy but he needs a good oline. Pretty sure the Cowboys going 1, 2 with Jalen Ramsey and Derrick Henry is in play.

I think he is being underrated by the casual fan but I don't think he is 1st round value. No RB is first round value unless you are projecting HOF talent.

Elliot is the better RB prospect but already maxed out. Excellent balance, excellent strength but not an exceptional speed threat. Basically a Mark Ingram type. A bit underrated as an NFL player but not someone you want in RD1, either.

Brutal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen him make some pretty impressive cut backs for a guy his size.

There is no doubt that he is a one cut, downhill runner in the NFL. But you put him in a ZBS and teams are still going to have to play the backside because he has the ability and vision to put his foot down, cut it back and get to the backside.

I didn't really see that in the games I saw him play, you probably saw him more than I did however. I did notice he's not overly eluvive. But that's not why you'd want a 245 pound back either.

Brutal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally missed this post when I was on the NFL draft board.

Henry is a mix between Steven Jackson and Brandon Jacobs but I worry about his Alabama workload. He should go top of the 2nd round and I like him more than Yeldon and Lacy but he needs a good oline. Pretty sure the Cowboys going 1, 2 with Jalen Ramsey and Derrick Henry is in play.

I think he is being underrated by the casual fan but I don't think he is 1st round value. No RB is first round value unless you are projecting HOF talent.

Elliot is the better RB prospect but already maxed out. Excellent balance, excellent strength but not an exceptional speed threat. Basically a Mark Ingram type. A bit underrated as an NFL player but not someone you want in RD1, either.

I'm more into running the ball than most, and we have seen the succes the Seahawks and Panthers have had playing that. I do want that stud RB.

I'm 100% with you concerning Elliott, he is the best back in the upcoming draft, the total package, but.....I get this feeling he might struggle handling fame/$$$$...hope I'm wrong.

I didn't know there was a draft board here, next time I'll talk this sort of thing there.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more into running the ball than most, and we have seen the succes the Seahawks and Panthers have had playing that. I do want that stud RB.

I'm 100% with you concerning Elliott, he is the best back in the upcoming draft, the total package, but.....I get this feeling he might struggle handling fame/$$$$...hope I'm wrong.

I didn't know there was a draft board here, next time I'll talk this sort of thing there.
Its all pretty interchangeable. Generally the NFL main board is mostly made up of fans talking about the Super Bowl team (where did all of the Patriots topics go?) but it does technically cover everything.

Elliott is a little better than Mark Ingram coming out. He is a little better than a lot of players coming out. I'm just not sure he has that elite gear to matter in the NFL. I think Henry will show flashes of being better than Elliott. He is better than Ron Dayne for sure. More violent. But I doubt anyone wants their team spending a 1st rounder on him.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'll end up with the best career of all the Alabama Saban RB's so far.

Won't be surprised to see a Shaun Alexander type career out of him.

old1r1sh

It's a Great Day for Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone seems to like him more than I do. I think I watched 4 Bama games this year and was not impressed with what I saw in any of them. He runs really high and his footwork is trash. I don't think his vision is a strength. I would take him off my board completely.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers will draft him and then convert E. Lacey to Right Guard...

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question is how are his catching and blocking skills? With his size and speed he could be a problem matching up with most LBs that would cover him, and is big enough to slow down a blitzing OLB or DE if he can get in front of them.

Brutal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question is how are his catching and blocking skills? With his size and speed he could be a problem matching up with most LBs that would cover him, and is big enough to slow down a blitzing OLB or DE if he can get in front of them.

Its all pretty interchangeable. Generally the NFL main board is mostly made up of fans talking about the Super Bowl team (where did all of the Patriots topics go?) but it does technically cover everything.

Elliott is a little better than Mark Ingram coming out. He is a little better than a lot of players coming out. I'm just not sure he has that elite gear to matter in the NFL. I think Henry will show flashes of being better than Elliott. He is better than Ron Dayne for sure. More violent. But I doubt anyone wants their team spending a 1st rounder on him.

With the success those teams that run the ball have had I'm looking for the RB to make a bit of a come back. I do think Henry mighy go sooner than we think. He is one of those who wears a defense down, and a RB can step right in and dominate, he still has those young legs.

However, I do doubt we'll ever think Henry is better than Elliott.

Brutal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do see Henry as being limited, not an every down guy.