• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dennis Franchonie retiring from Texas State

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SAN MARCOS, Texas - After seven full seasons at Texas State University and 30 years as a head coach, Dennis Franchione has announced he is retiring.

"After meeting with Dr. (Larry) Teis last Tuesday and doing a thorough evaluation starting with myself, I have decided that it is time for me to retire from coaching," Franchione said. "I have been blessed for 40 years in coaching the game I love - football! I have deep respect for the game and appreciate what it does for the development of young people."

Franchione announces his retirement with a 213-135-2 career record and he led his teams to nine conference championships, nine bowl games, four NAIA playoff games and one NCAA Division II playoff.

"When we hired Dennis five years ago, we asked him to help us transition from FCS to FBS. We all knew this would be a challenging task. We also knew we needed someone who had coached at the highest level and could assist us as we made the move. His knowledge of the game and his respect on the national level showed other universities and conference commissioners we were committed to our football program," said Dr. Denise Trauth, Texas State University President.

"Coach Franchione has been rock solid for this university and this football program. He had only two losing seasons in seven years of Division 1 football at Texas State. Since moving to Division 1 in 1984, coach Franchione has been the head coach for five of our 10 best years. His track record over the years proves he is one of the best ever to walk the sidelines in college football," said Dr. Teis, Texas State's Director of Athletics.

In his first two seasons at Texas State in 1990 and 1991, the Bobcats finished with 6-5 and 7-4 records, respectively. He returned to the school in 2011 to lead Texas State's transition from the NCAA Division I FCS to the FBS.

In the Bobcats third season as an FBS member in the Sun Belt Conference, the team finished with a 3-9 overall record and 2-6 in conference play last year. After finishing the first year with a 6-6 record in 2013 and a 7-5 mark in 2014, the players and coaches had high expectations for this season. However, multiple injuries and a tough non-conference schedule that included two Top 25-ranked teams, contributed to a challenging season.

"I would like to also express my appreciation to Dr. Trauth, Dr. Teis, and our administration," said Franchione. "They have elevated Texas State in so many ways and have been stalwarts in taking football from FCS to FBS."

"Please let me say thanks to some people that have meant a great deal to me."

"As a coach, I was fortunate to have outstanding teachers and mentors early in my career such as Jim Dickey, Jim Donnan, Gary Darnell, and Carl Selmer."

"I also want to express my thanks to my family. First, my wife Kim, has been a "rock" in my life, a strong teammate, a best friend and a great wife. I have been so blessed to have her by my side for 38 years.

"My children, Ashley, Libby and Brad have been great supporters. My career has put them through a lot as coach's kids and they have met every day with class."

"The daily grind of running a football program has been enjoyable because of the assistant coaches, their wives, families and our support staff. For all of their support over the last 40 years and especially our tenure here at Texas State, let me say how much I appreciate them. A head coach in this game is only as good as his staff."

"The supportive fans, alumni, and students at Texas State have been awesome. Thank you for your consistent support, positive comments, and for your attendance at the games supporting our players."

"Finally, my heart and appreciation goes out to our football players at Texas State, and all of those I have been fortunate enough to coach during my career. I feel very strongly about what this game does for young people. I have always felt that the faculty prepare you for your career and I prepare players for life. My classroom has been the field and this game teaches so many life skills - teamwork, accountability, esprit de corps, sacrifice, work ethic, dedication, handling setbacks and success, on and on."

Texas State will immediately begin a national search for a new football coach with the assistance of Parker Executive Search, one the leading search firms in the country.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought OU retired him years ago.

View attachment 68339
They did dominate the last few plays of that game with our 3rd stringers in and the fb dives plays in the redzone. You would have thought that kid won the Super Bowl the way he celebrated. :L

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the year right after TAMU knocked OU out of the NCG, right.

We were number 1 yes and dropped to 4 after A&M beat us. Then two weeks later OSU beat us. We still won the BIG XII though, thanks to Texas Tech who got beat you guys. Went on to win the Rose Bowl.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wusses should of put that big 3 digit up.

Meh, 77-0 was fine. That was the most humiliating defeat one could ever have. Check the box score.

Total Yards:
OU 639
A&M 54

First Downs:
OU 33
A&M 3

Punts:
OU 1
A&M 12

Turnover:
OU 0
A&M 1

OU simply couldn't be stopped. A&M didn't play sloppy football, they just couldn't do shit. The defense had their playbook.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was 77-0 with 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.
Yeah, that bad.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fran Plan
Option Left
Option Right

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fran Years. The OU game was pretty humiliating but it wasn't the only one like that. We got our shit pushed in at every bowl game. Never beat OU or Tech. He did beat Texas two times though. I was pretty disgusted with the fans after a big goal line stand that won the game and everyone was chanting Wrecking Crew Wrecking Crew Wrecking Crew. It was against Army. :L

I still supported him. Had some good RB's there at the end and won the TOP almost every game. Heat the air raid offenses sitting on the side line. By the OOC game against Miami on his last year I was done.

When the Big Cigars fired RC and lured Fran away from Bama it was supposed to be a "Splash Hire" turns out he left Bama under shady circumstances. I'm sure they'd like to forget about the 2 or 3 years he was there as well.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck that worthless piece of shit. Good fucking riddance, i hope he doesnt grace the game with his presence ever again. It will be better off for him being gone.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the only good thing I remember about the Fran years was being able to go up to the ticket office at Kyle Field 20 minutes before a conference game and buy tickets cheap. Even the arm chair seats on the 2nd deck were available at good prices. I'd have to take out a loan to sit in those seats today