• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deadpool (2016)

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suicide squad is PG13, so it won't be able to come close to dead pool with humor or violence.

I read an interview with the gutless producer of SS who was dancing around the issue at times, but when pressed, he admitted they have to make sure the movie makes as much profit as possible and won't "complicate" the tie-ins with the other DC movies. Fucking spineless coward. Deadpools numbers prove what many fans of these characters have been screaming at these studios for years. You can do comic movies with R ratings which will
provide a better product and still make a pile of money for the studio heads in the process, if it's done right. Deadpool is a long over due nuke dropped on these clowns who are obsessed with PG13 ratings. Will they get the message? Probably not. Suicide squad is another project that would greatly benefit from a R rating considering whose involved, but Hollywood just couldn't help themselves. Watered down version to maximize laziness and profits won the day.

You can't really call suicide squad as anti-Heros. They're all pretty much villains who are responsible for a body count a mile long to begin with. It's more a "lessor of two evils" story. There is nothing heroic about these characters anymore. Some of their orgin stories will be presented as tragic and some as victims of circumstances, but still, ....
DC fixing to sell out harder than the whore that is Marvel. They will do just like Batman vs Superman and have a rated R version of the movie.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never watched the animated series. I've been growing into these non-animated series (arrow, flash, etc). So far everything has been awesome. I'd love it if they went with a non-animated Spawn series.

I don't think that would work on television, Spawn is just too gritty, arguably the grittiest superhero of all time. They could probably make it work on Netflix,they've done a great job with DD and JJ, I see them doing extremely well with Punisher as well. They do a great job with darker themes.

A movie could work, if they focus on just completing specific stories instead of trying to fit the entirety of the Spawn comics into a couple of movies. That was the problem with the 1997 film, they just tried to do too much and skipped over so much content in an effort to cram everything into a few hours of movie. The Dark Knight trilogy for instance would not have been very good if they tried to do the origin story all the way to the death of Bruce Wayne, it would have been a clusterfuck. That was the issue with the movie, that and the fact that they went with a martial artist instead of an actual actor, oh and the visual effects weren't good enough to do Spawn at the time, he didn't even have his Shroud showing for the majority of the film. A Hellspawn without a shroud is like a fish out of water. A Spawn film with today's technology and proper vision could work.

I liked the Spawn film as a kid, which is kind of weird because it should probably be a film that would scare children but I remember watching it countless times. It was on cable a few months ago and I decided to watch it again, and as an adult, I can now see the amount of errors in that movie. It's a bad movie, but it's the type of bad movie that can still entertain you somewhat.

Last edited:

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved Deadpool, one of the better superhero movies of all-time in my opinion. A perfect blend of comedy, action, and a tiny bit of romance. A role that Ryan Reynolds was truly built for, he fits the character of Deadpool like a glove. They also did a tremendous job with presenting an origin story in a way that wasn't mind numbing and dull, feeding you pieces of his origin in between violence and action packed hilarity. The comedy is more hit than miss but even when it misses you feel as though the cheese is fitting for the character.

I give it a 9/10. It's a film that you will enjoy greatly if you are a person like me who's getting tired of the same run-of-the-mill superhero movie that follows the exact same formula over and over again.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that would work on television, Spawn is just too gritty, arguably the grittiest superhero of all time. They could probably make it work on Netflix,they've done a great job with DD and JJ, I see them doing extremely well with Punisher as well. They do a great job with darker themes.

A movie could work, if they focus on just completing specific stories instead of trying to fit the entirety of the Spawn comics into a couple of movies. That was the problem with the 1997 film, they just tried to do too much and skipped over so much content in an effort to cram everything into a few hours of movie. The Dark Knight trilogy for instance would not have been very good if they tried to do the origin story all the way to the death of Bruce Wayne, it would have been a clusterfuck. That was the issue with the movie, that and the fact that they went with a martial artist instead of an actual actor, oh and the visual effects weren't good enough to do Spawn at the time, he didn't even have his Shroud showing for the majority of the film. A Hellspawn without a shroud is like a fish out of water. A Spawn film with today's technology and proper vision could work.

I liked the Spawn film as a kid, which is kind of weird because it should probably be a film that would scare children but I remember watching it countless times. It was on cable a few months ago and I decided to watch it again, and as an adult, I can now see the amount of errors in that movie. It's a bad movie, but it's the type of bad movie that can still entertain you somewhat.
I never got into the comics so the movie worked just fine for me. And I was the same, semi young at the time when I loved it. But I could see what you're talkin about. It was a lot to throw into one movie.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think Suicide Squad is going to be better with twisted humor, then you are going to be severely disappointed
I didn't find the humor in Deadpool nearly as black/twisted as its own writers did, so we'll see.

Lots of great stuff in the movie, of course, but I can hold out hope that SS is a little better.

As I was typing this, I just saw that it'll be PG-13, so that kind of sucks, and leads me to think you're probably right.

If it sucks, oh well. It's just superhero movies.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think the fact that it is rated R is a bit off. The teenager version of me would have LOVED this movie. I was reading reviews on this like it would give kids nightmares. I feel like they have to say that but...c'mon. If you can watch Family Guy, you can watch Deadpool.

That's a lot how I looked at it. It was geared more to the 15 and 16 years olds sneaking in that to adults. That's fine. It was still better than the moronic Avengers 2.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved Deadpool, one of the better superhero movies of all-time in my opinion. A perfect blend of comedy, action, and a tiny bit of romance. A role that Ryan Reynolds was truly built for, he fits the character of Deadpool like a glove. They also did a tremendous job with presenting an origin story in a way that wasn't mind numbing and dull, feeding you pieces of his origin in between violence and action packed hilarity. The comedy is more hit than miss but even when it misses you feel as though the cheese is fitting for the character.

I give it a 9/10. It's a film that you will enjoy greatly if you are a person like me who's getting tired of the same run-of-the-mill superhero movie that follows the exact same formula over and over again.
I liked the movie but I wouldn't rate it among the best Superhero movies of all-time.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a lot how I looked at it. It was geared more to the 15 and 16 years olds sneaking in that to adults. That's fine. It was still better than the moronic Avengers 2.
My wife hated it but I enjoyed it. I guess it is more of a man's movie.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the movie but I wouldn't rate it among the best Superhero movies of all-time.

Well, personally, I would but I wouldn't say I'm particularly fond of superhero movies. The first Iron Man was good, maybe Spiderman 2, Blade 2, and obviously the Dark Knight, outside of that nothing really appeals to me. I'm not a huge fan of the Avengers, and I haven't even bothered with any Thor, Incredible Hulk, Superman or Captain America movies. The older films don't really excite me since the visual effects weren't nearly as good and I'm a younger so I'm used to better visual effects although I was a fan of the old Superman movies when I was a kid.

List of American superhero films - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, personally, I would but I wouldn't say I'm particularly fond of superhero movies. The first Iron Man was good, maybe Spiderman 2, Blade 2, and obviously the Dark Knight, outside of that nothing really appeals to me. I'm not a huge fan of the Avengers, and I haven't even bothered with any Thor, Incredible Hulk, Superman or Captain America movies. The older films don't really excite me since the visual effects weren't nearly as good and I'm a younger so I'm used to better visual effects although I was a fan of the old Superman movies when I was a kid.

List of American superhero films - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 3 super hero movies that really stand out for me are the Dark Knight, Captain America 2 and the Watchmen. I also think the first Avengers movie fits the 'comic'feel the best.

A lot of superhero movies are just origin stories. You've seen one then you've pretty much seen them all so I think thats why they are pushing the envelope more and more.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 3 super hero movies that really stand out for me are the Dark Knight, Captain America 2 and the Watchmen. I also think the first Avengers movie fits the 'comic'feel the best.

A lot of superhero movies are just origin stories. You've seen one then you've pretty much seen them all so I think thats why they are pushing the envelope more and more.
Watchmen was a favorite of mine.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, I thought the 1st Avengers movie was the best out of the 3. It puzzles me to hear people call it the worst.

In conclusion, it's hard for me to look at that list and not have Deadpool at least in the top 5-6, does anyone disagree with that? I'd love to hear about the films you thought were better. Is it unfair of me to compare a character who's more of a parody on super heroes rather than an actual super hero?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My faves are probably (in no particular order)...

Ironman
Captain America II
Dark Knight

Honorable Mention

Superman was amazing for it's time.
Batman Begins was a GREAT "new" take on comic book movies.
Deadpool is a wonderful spoof.
Avengers was epic.
Watchmen (I will need to rewatch - only saw once, in the theaters, and I am not familiar with the source material)

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll continue watching Watchmen for the incredible score alone...was already thinking that the first time I saw the movie, and then the perfectly-timed insertion of Mozart's Requiem at the end sealed the deal.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too went to see Deadpool today, wildly entertaining. While I loved the old blind woman, taxi driver, and Colossus, his friend the barkeep and moody superhero teen were forgettable. The fight scenes were great as was the writing. No scene seemed to drag on too long, and I've seen enough of Reynolds ass and not enough of strong woman's tits. Top notch movie, my favorite superhero movie.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too went to see Deadpool today, wildly entertaining. While I loved the old blind woman, taxi driver, and Colossus, his friend the barkeep and moody superhero teen were forgettable. The fight scenes were great as was the writing. No scene seemed to drag on too long, and I've seen enough of Reynolds ass and not enough of strong woman's tits. Top notch movie, my favorite superhero movie.

Yes, if they had replaced the Reynolds' ass shots with Morena Baccarin ass shots then I would have given the film a perfect 10.

I liked the moody teen superhero especially the line:
"So what's it going to be? Are you going to say something mean or long sullen silence?"
"You've kind of put me in a box here"

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgettable maybe because most of his lines were played out in the trailers but TJ Miller (Weasel) is one of the funniest people out there. I can't wait for the deleted scenes on the dvd.

I really need to see this again to catch some of the lines I missed laughing.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to the movies tonight and seen this. It was a good movie, but the theater experience itself reminded me of why I never go to the movies.

I think I'm good for not going to the movies another 10 years.