• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Dbacks to pursue power bat"

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I saw this story it just blew me away. This has to be one of the most disheartening things Towers could say. Instead of saying something along the lines of how we need to find a true ace to pair with Corbin, Towers wants to throw money away on another outfielder. How many damn outfielders does this team need? This year we have had Parra, Pollock, Eaton, Ross, Kubel, and Prado in the outfield. Six players for three positions.

We have also had Gregorious, Pennington, Bloomquist, Owings, and early on John McDonald at shortstop. What the hell is with stockpiling so many players for the same position?

Look at it this way, some people say we cannot afford a player such as Cliff Lee who makes 25 million a year. I beg to differ. Look at what Towers has done with some of the d'backs payroll.

Trevor Cahill 5.7 million
Cody Ross 6 million
Jason Kubel 7.5 million
Brandon McCarthy 5.25 million
Heath Bell 6.5 million (d'backs are paying him 13 million of his 21 million contract)

Hmm now what does that add up to? 30.95 million dollars. These are all guys that the d'backs are paying this season, and who are under contract next season, besides Kubel. Which would you rather have, the players I just mentioned, or Cliff Lee? The best year of those guys careers do not even match an average year for Cliff Lee.

Just so pathetic to say we need another big bat. What a joke. WE NEED A DOMINATE ACE. We made the playoffs in 2011 because of Hudson and Kennedy having dominant years. We won the World Series because of Johnson and Schilling. Pitching is everything. I guess Towers does not understand that.

Are we really supposed to believe that Archie Bradley is going to come up and win the Cy Young? That is way too much pressure to put on him. Basically this pitching staff is Corbin and a bunch of guys who are at best number three starters. If Towers wastes the teams payroll on another outfielder and banks on the starters we already have, us fans are most likely going to sit through another .500 season.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I saw this story it just blew me away. This has to be one of the most disheartening things Towers could say. Instead of saying something along the lines of how we need to find a true ace to pair with Corbin, Towers wants to throw money away on another outfielder. How many damn outfielders does this team need? This year we have had Parra, Pollock, Eaton, Ross, Kubel, and Prado in the outfield. Six players for three positions.

We have also had Gregorious, Pennington, Bloomquist, Owings, and early on John McDonald at shortstop. What the hell is with stockpiling so many players for the same position?

Look at it this way, some people say we cannot afford a player such as Cliff Lee who makes 25 million a year. I beg to differ. Look at what Towers has done with some of the d'backs payroll.

Trevor Cahill 5.7 million
Cody Ross 6 million
Jason Kubel 7.5 million
Brandon McCarthy 5.25 million
Heath Bell 6.5 million (d'backs are paying him 13 million of his 21 million contract)

Hmm now what does that add up to? 30.95 million dollars. These are all guys that the d'backs are paying this season, and who are under contract next season, besides Kubel. Which would you rather have, the players I just mentioned, or Cliff Lee? The best year of those guys careers do not even match an average year for Cliff Lee.

Just so pathetic to say we need another big bat. What a joke. WE NEED A DOMINATE ACE. We made the playoffs in 2011 because of Hudson and Kennedy having dominant years. We won the World Series because of Johnson and Schilling. Pitching is everything. I guess Towers does not understand that.

Are we really supposed to believe that Archie Bradley is going to come up and win the Cy Young? That is way too much pressure to put on him. Basically this pitching staff is Corbin and a bunch of guys who are at best number three starters. If Towers wastes the teams payroll on another outfielder and banks on the starters we already have, us fans are most likely going to sit through another .500 season.

I completely agree with you man. I think right now we've got way too much depth in the OF and IF... it's becoming a problem. Even too many SP's (with many being mediocre) I'm hoping KT is smart enough to at least trade some of this depth and make some upgrades. If we sign an OF and then trade say, Skaggs, Pollock, and some other prospects for an upgrade in the rotation then I'd be OK with it, but if he signs and OF and calls it an offseason then I'll be furious.

My hope is to land someone like Lee (an ace or at least number 2 starter) from our depth via trade and then to go out and sign a decent bat.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skaggs/Pollock/Davidson/Spruill along with the players in my previous post are all expendable. And these 3, Skaggs/Pollock/Davidson have been sought by a few teams.

This is the deal I would pursue heavily: Skaggs/Davidson/McCarthy or Cahill for Trumbo/Add 2 b prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for an ace being available, that is not happening. Philly is doubling down with their rotation. What KT needs to do is pursue Masahiro Tanaka from Japan.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for an ace being available, that is not happening. Philly is doubling down with their rotation. What KT needs to do is pursue Masahiro Tanaka from Japan.

YES. I was thinking this a while ago and meant to post about him but completely forgot. Apparently we're scouting him and we like him a bit... hope we can get a deal done.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way that our ownership drops the money that it would take to get him :(

Yeah probably... I haven't seen how much he's expected to cost yet but I imagine it's something around a 6 year, $50 million type of deal.

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt he gets it... they project him as a 2/3 starter. Not as hyped as Darvish but you never know. The Angels will probably give him 250 million

He's been getting lots of hype lately though. Its helped that Darvish is pitching good, teams are more likely to not shy away.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That guy is gonna break records for the amount of money he is purchased for. I don't think we get close to getting him.

International bidding is likely to change by the next bidding window in November. They are going to make it so the player gets much of the bidding fee. What that means is that it might be possible to stretch the player payment portion over the lifetime of the contract. Japanese teams will get less & players will get more. At least that's what I think will happen.

We are still talking about a 5-6 year $60-80 mil contract plus $50+ posting fee. Think Yu Darvish plus inflation. But if a large percentage of the posting fee balance goes to the player, you could see the total overall cost be much lower.

The total cost of Yu Darvish was $112 mil.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with KT. They need a power bat in the OF and have to get one. Their OF is pretty pathetic. Parra is over-rated, terrible base-running this year, and nothing special offensively. AJ Pollock is totally forgettable and Adam Eaton is even more so. You never know what you will get with Cody Ross. Eaton/Parra/Pollock combined don't even have 100 RBIs.

Prado is the only guy that has played out there that I would care if he wasn't around next year.

The OF has been under the radar all year because of the pitching woes, but it's got some serious leaks that need to be fixed.