• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Dbacks to pursue power bat"

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diamondbacks To Pursue Power Bat: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Interesting read. Some pretty big names being thrown around out there....

Giancarlo Stanton
Kyle Seager
Mark Trumbo
Yoenis Cespedes
Nelson Cruz
Carlos Beltran
Jay Bruce
Josh Donaldson

A lot of it is speculation for sure, but who would you guys want most? I personally think Cruz would be a great fit for us... he'll be at a discounted price and would rake in our park. Plus he's a FA so we wouldn't have to trade away any young talent to acquire him. Thoughts?

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally believe we are set in the outfield but if we are to go in that direction, I would like jay Bruce or Nelson Cruz. The guy that stood out to me was Kyle seager. He is still young and looks to be entering his prime. Could sign him to a prado like contract. That would give the infield some depth and prado could play some more outfield. Just a thought...

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally believe we are set in the outfield but if we are to go in that direction, I would like jay Bruce or Nelson Cruz. The guy that stood out to me was Kyle seager. He is still young and looks to be entering his prime. Could sign him to a prado like contract. That would give the infield some depth and prado could play some more outfield. Just a thought...

Yeah I also like Kyle Seager quite a bit, but the only thing with him is he's not a Free Agent so it would probably cost something along the lines of Skaggs/Davidson to land him and his contract whereas if we signed Cruz straight up we'd only have to deal with the contract and not trade away young talent. If we can get Cruz for a bargain price then that would be amazing. Roids or not the dude is an offensive machine and would provide much needed protection behind Goldy. I like Eaton-Prado-Hill-Goldy-Cruz quite a bit. With Montero, Parra and Didi/Owings hitting in the 6-8 slots and this takes pressure off them as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I'd only sign Cruz to a 1 year deal... nothing more than that at his age. I think he'd take a one year deal as well to try to raise his value before one last multi-year deal during the following offseason. He'd just be a nice quick fix for power production.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top three would have been seager, Cruz, Bruce and Donaldson on the fringe. I hate to gamble our future away for the sake of one player but just imagine if we had an offense during the beginning and middle of this season! We would have been more up on the division than six games. Bradley is the only player off limits and I would like to reserve Davidson for a "better deal." I am a patient person but it kills me to sit and waste good years on a team that is almost playoff caliber. If we did not make the terrible pitching signings this offseason, we could easily be in the market for any of those guys!

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Stanton wasn't so injury prone, he would be the guy for sure! Jizz in my pants worthy of a lineup!

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got a boner thinking of Giancarlo in a Dbacks uniform.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't pitching be the D-backs top priority?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No we need a power bat to protect Goldy in the lineup. Our pitching is decent enough. Plus we already have some arms in the minors.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It could be... but if Bradley pans out (top pitching prospect in all of baseball) then we're set with Bradley and Corbin at the top of the rotation with a lot of solid 3-4 starters in Delgado, Miley, Skaggs, Cahill, McCarthy, etc. Lots of depth there... I'd like to upgrade the starting pitching though for sure. Quality over quantity is what KT needs to focus more on.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only prospect that should be untouchable is Bradley... I expect everyone else to be on the market with our depth.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't get my hopes up that a power bat will be added. Adding a bat depends on Ross' status to open the season & KT's ability to off-load some salary(Putz/Bell/McCarthy/Cahill). And even then, the idea of adding guys like Cruz or Beltran are not that appealing.

If anything, we are most likely looking at a mid-level power 20 HR power bat at best. But maybe KT is willing to sell the farm after restocking it, to get a Stanton/Trumbo/Donaldson. I wouldn't count on that though.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't want Donaldson... mainly because he's unproven. One guy I would take a look at is Cespedes though. Dude has a lot of pop and has had a solid season even while battling injury. Wonder how much it would take for him.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Donaldson, Cruz, or Seager. Stanton would be nice, but he gets hurt to much and would probably cost us half of the farm. I don't really have any faith that KT will actually get one of those guys. We'll probably end up with Kubel 2.0 (whoever that is).

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Donaldson, Cruz, or Seager. Stanton would be nice, but he gets hurt to much and would probably cost us half of the farm. I don't really have any faith that KT will actually get one of those guys. We'll probably end up with Kubel 2.0 (whoever that is).

I keep forgetting this is KT we are talking about... we'll end up signing Marlon Byrd or some dumb shit like that.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CF- Eaton
2B- Hill
3B- Prado
1B- Goldy
LF- Cruz
C- Montero
LF- Parra
SS- Gregorius

This.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just not a fan of Cruz. A 25-30 HR, .260-.270, & high SO/low BB hitter who happens to be coming off a suspension for PEDs. Who knows how long he has been using & how it effected his power numbers.

Take a look at Melky for reference:
Before PEDs
2010: .354/.671 SLG/OPS
During PEDs
2011: .470/.809
2012: .516/.906
After he was caught
2013: .360/.682

There is no telling which Nelson Cruz we would be getting. Besides, any power bat KT might add will likely bat from the left side.

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Cruz. This team needs a roider. Someone that knows a supplier to give to some of these pathetic scrubs a "boost".

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would you guys want Cruz, being an NL team? He can't play the OF anymore. I mean, he tries, but he's deathly afraid of the wall and craps the bed as soon as he touches the warning track. Running in, he can make plays. Approaching a wall and he will bail.

Cruz will probably be at least a 50% DH from here on out, so not sure he is a fit in the NL. I'd rather not face him though, so take a shot at landing him :suds:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would you guys want Cruz, being an NL team? He can't play the OF anymore. I mean, he tries, but he's deathly afraid of the wall and craps the bed as soon as he touches the warning track. Running in, he can make plays. Approaching a wall and he will bail.

Cruz will probably be at least a 50% DH from here on out, so not sure he is a fit in the NL. I'd rather not face him though, so take a shot at landing him :suds:

Yeah I can see his defense being an issue.... but when you've got guys like Parra and Eaton in the OF covering as much ground as they do I think it's ok to have one weak link as long as be produces with the bat. This team is like 28th in HR this year and there aren't too many clear cut options. I just like him on a one year deal at a discounted price.

We just need someone to protect Goldy... he's been walked like a million times in the past 25 games or so :gaah: